Touring North Coast 500

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Murphy12, Sep 7, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Murphy12

Murphy12 New Member

Sep 7, 2016
    South Scotland
    Hi Folks

I'm intending to do the NC500 in June next year and looking to leave home and travel to Inverness on day one with 3 days doing the loop a final night in Inversneckie before travelling home.

Has anyone who has done the route got any recommendations re accommodation. Of course any other advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Murphy12

Murphy12 New Member

Sep 7, 2016
    South Scotland
    Thanks Half Ton. No hurry of course. Prior preparation and planning as they say!

3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Hi Murphy i got back today,the first night i stayed at Applecross 2nd night Lochinver,3rd night Thurso,4th night Inverness. are you going up the east or the west coast first? if it's the west i could pm you details of b&bs i stayed in,you would be better booking accommodation a few months in advance as it could get busy..theres a few good routes up to inverness depending on where you are heading off from i took the A93 up past Braemar then the A939 but the A82 would be good if you did it midweek (it can get busy at weekends) i have put a post up with some pics..i hope it doesn't put you off :oops:

4. Murphy12

Murphy12 New Member

Sep 7, 2016
    South Scotland
    Thanks Dougie. Yes I'd be interested in getting details of B&Bs. If you could PM me that would be great. I'm on the Scottish Border so the loose plan so far is Inverness the first night. Three days two nights on the route finishing day 3 back in Inverness. Then a day home.
    Unfortunately it has to be a Thursday to Monday trip but hopefully being the first week in June we might miss the worst of the busy period.

I've done large parts of the route before but always in separate legs. I'm thinking West to East is probably best. Riding from Bettyhill to Kyle of Lochalsh in driving rain has led me to that conclusion.

Grateful for the advice.

5. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    you can find my write up on it here http://www.thetriumphforum.co.uk/threads/north-coast-500-part-1.7215/#post-72061 if the link doesn't work look under "touring holidays" it's in there,yes clockwise is probably the best,as your'e just staying 2 nights on the route i would stay 1st night either Ullapool or Lochinver,we stayed at the tigh na sith in Lochinver (just behind the tourist info) it was pretty good,then possibly stop of at Thurso for the 2nd night we stayed at Pentland Lodge House,it all depends how many miles you want to cover in 1 day,we were just taking things easy and stopping off a fair bit,you could easily make your first stop Durness then back down to Inverness or further south for your 2nd night (i take it you are not counting your first night in Inverness as one of your 2 nights) what bike will you be riding?

6. Murphy12

Murphy12 New Member

Sep 7, 2016
    South Scotland
    That sounds about right Dougie. You are also correct - last night in Inverness will be in addition to the 2 overnights on route. I've a 2015 Tiger 800 XRT. In orange!

Nice report in the other thread.

7. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    perfect bike for the trip :),i hope your'e lucky with the weather as it makes all the difference

8. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    I'm a bit late joining this thread but would agree with Dougie D that the A93 from Perth to Braemar to Tomintoul to Carrbridge then 20 odd miles of A9 would certainly be my preferred route. The A9 from Perth to Inverness has average speed cameras and is mind numbingly boring. The A93 through Glenshee and the A939 over the Lecht are great roads.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Murphy12

Murphy12 New Member

Sep 7, 2016
    South Scotland
    Thanks OG.

Totally agree the A9 is to be avoided at all costs. I'm in Dumfriesshire so the plan is north through Ayrshire then across the Erskine Bridge and then north on the A82 for an overnight in Inverness. Three days and two nights on the route with a further night in Inverness. Heading home via Nairn the A939 and A93 to Perth. The route home from there will be dictated by time but I hope to avoid the M80 M74 trudge!

10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Hi Murphy,have you booked your accomodation yet? i know it's more that 4 months away but the B&Bs can fill up quickly up north.Weather forecast for Scotland in June is Blazing Sunshine:):):)

11. Murphy12

Murphy12 New Member

Sep 7, 2016
    South Scotland
    Yes Dougie. Most of the accommodation sorted as of the weekend. First night in Inverness and second in Ullapool. Third night, taking your recommendation in Thurso with a decision still to be made whether we stop off again in Inverness on the return or look for somewhere near Grantown on the way back. Hopefully get that sorted this week too.

Thanks Bikerman for the cracking link. Cheers.

All that is needed now is the weather. It certainly was Flaming June the last time I rode this route but not in the way I would have liked :).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire

• Like Like x 3
  13. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    A bit selfish but I much preferred it before it was called the NC500. Quiet roads, no cops and a lot less caravans and camper vans with drivers that can't use passing places. Good for the businesses on the route though and gives the midges some fresh blood.

My wife and me have done these roads on the bike all our adult lives but May 2012 we hit the jackpot. Scorching weather - we arrived in Fort William at 6pm having travelled from Thurso and the temperature was still showing 30c. Once in a lifetime

• Like Like x 3
  14. Murphy12

Murphy12 New Member

Sep 7, 2016
    South Scotland
    #14 Murphy12, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    I suppose this is a bit of a box ticking exercise for me. Like others I've ridden in this area many times and know some of the route well but I've never done it as a complete route. Nor have I experienced anything like the weather OG did in 2012. One year we headed up to Wick in May. We rode through snow and hail and spent some time in getting dry in a supermarket cafe in Inverness. The following day dawned brightly but when we turned south at Bettyhill the heavens opened and didn't stop until we reached Kyle of Lochalsh. We were then threatened with being thrown out the hotel because my mate decided it would be a good idea to put our boots in the dryer in the drying room. The Landlady was not chuffed. The following year we decided to head back but waited until the end of June. Cue waking in Kinlochbervie to a howling gale and more rain. The 955I that I had at the time was blown off its side stand at Oldshoremore.

Global warming means better weather - right? :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. sox22

sox22 Member

May 31, 2016
    Hertforshire
    Lovely bit of Scottish wind...........

16. sox22

sox22 Member

May 31, 2016
    Hertforshire