Norman Hyde Headers

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Malcolm Woods, Jun 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Malcolm Woods

Malcolm Woods Noble Member

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Sorry but again I'm fluxed, I have to buy the Norman Hyde headers highly polished stainless steel. £329 (hope they look as good as my chrome ones which I myself damaged taken scotch brite pad in a drill to clean of bluing) What a knob I am.
    Believe it or not I can fit these myself when they arrive.
    Norman Hyde headers come with no bosses to fit the Lamba senses, Norman Hyde says in their advert a simple adjustment to the ECU have to be made to compensate for losing the lamba senses.
    This is where I start crying. What exactly do I need buy and do to accomplish this and is there an idiots guide anywhere.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Thanks for the reply, sorry about the post being entered twice, big thumbs I guess.,
    Yes you are probably correct, dont like messing around with ECU s. Really because I dont know how to.

3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Yup it's as simple as that ! Just change the setting's in the side box marked sai and O2 sensor and you are done !

• Like Like x 2
  4. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    With smilinjack and your replies I am building a picture, I need to download tuneECE £10.50 then buy a cable. I haven't got a laptop but I have a Samsung phone, anyone know if this can be achieved on a samsung phone.
    It seems I just have to tick the O2 senser box, is that really all ther is to it.?

5. Eric_H

Eric_H Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Blackburn, Lancashire
    #5 Eric_H, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  6. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Eric_H

Eric_H Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Blackburn, Lancashire
    Malcolm I've added another link in my original post to the ones Square Deals sell. I've used Square Deals in the past and I can recomend them. If you give them a call they may even sell the resistors on their own... Worth a try.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  9. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Thank all big help, lm only doing this because it seems that my L/H SIDE Is bluing up and getting hotter the the right side, I have blocked the asi pipe.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Eric_H

Eric_H Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Blackburn, Lancashire
    Malcolm it’s the SAI (Secondary Air Injection) that causes the bluing of the headers. I've completely removed the SAI and the 02 for no other reason than it makes the bike a lot smoother on the trottle with all the emissions gubbins removed. I switched off the SAI and the 02 using TuneECU on an old laptop running MS Windows XP connected to the bike with a LonElec USB cable but I've still got the resistors on the 02 but it's doubtful I need them on.

The basic functions on TuneECU isn't really rocket surgery or brain science and well worth getting your head round because it can be used to balance your injection system and other useful diagnostic stuff. There is a lot of info on the net should you decide to have a go with it and I'm sure the helpful chaps in the Triumph community will help should you have any questions on your journey of discovery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Can tuneECU be downloaded using a iPad do you know.

12. Eric_H

Eric_H Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Blackburn, Lancashire
    As far as I know Malcolm iOS isn't supported. There is a free version that runs in Windows https://tuneecu.net/TuneECU_En/links.html that may be of interest however this isn’t supported anymore, there are also downloadable maps and some other useful stuff on the site. If you can get your mitts on a old laptop it's well worth the effort.

I'm not sure how the Android BlueTooth linked one works not having used it.

13. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    You need a suitable cable, or OBDLink LX bluetooth scan tool, an Android device, and the TuneECU software (for Andriod) to use TuneECU.

However as I believe your Bonneville is an air cooled model then you can use a cable and are not forced to use a bluetooth tool. Therefore you could buy both the cable, and an Android tablet for less than the cost of a bluetooth device.

TuneECU: https://tuneecu.net/TuneECU_En/index.html
    Supported bikes: https://app.box.com/s/pusg6v7nyd/file/499165854146

Android Tablet (just a cheap example, loads of others available): https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Fire-7-Tablet---Black---16-GB/dp/B07JQRYR5M
    ECU Cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lonelec-TUNEECU-Interface-Triumph-Aprilia-Black/dp/B00847Q7Y4

Bluetooth Tool: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/OBDLink-427201-ScanTool-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B00H9S71LW

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Eric H Smilinjack MadMrB a massive thank you for your help in this matter, it may be a small snag to you all but to me it keeps me awake.
    I will now remove the Sai completely instead of a bit of wood in the pipe, then remove the lamba sensers. If no better you have giving me the confidence to use the tuneECU , as I have tracked down a lap top I can use.
    One more simple question, can I take my bike to a main dealer for an MOT with no SAI as they would see it straight away as removed. Would they fail it??
    Again I cannot Express my thanks enough. I think I may sleep tonight.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Eric_H

Eric_H Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Blackburn, Lancashire
    don’t worry about the MOT they don’t check for emissions on bikes in the UK....as yet. Re TuneECU: The first thing you need to do is download your current map so you have a backup. You then uncheck the SAI and 02 and upload it back to the ECU. If you need help don’t hesitate to PM me and I will do my best to walk you through it. Some people have had issues getting the hardware drivers for the cable to work but if you get a LonElec one you shouldn’t have any problem. Don’t be tempted to get a five quid one off eBay, some of them have cloned chips and are basically shit... don’t ask how I know!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    OK thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Maxb10

Maxb10 Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Lincoln
    Just received mine and they look fantastic! Can't wait to fit em!

• Like Like x 1