Noobie needs technical help with dash

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Gaz Deason, Apr 3, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Beneath-shadows

Beneath-shadows New Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Australia
    I have a similar problem on my daytona 600 in that as soon as I get off the throttle the speed display disappears. Not everything just the speed, it then begins to struggle with the idol revs but doesn’t stall.
    Stator was rewound a few weeks ago and works perfect R/R is replaced also and is charging fine. New lithium battery. LED lights al round with new relay for indicators. I believe the ecu needs a remap and I have a cable coming so that I can do that, Because the dealer can’t find what’s wrong and no auto electrician wants to touch it.
    Any help to find this bug would be much appreciated.

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    When you say the speed display disappears, do you mean it just goes to Zero or does the display disappear altogether ?

3. Beneath-shadows

Aug 3, 2018
    Australia
    Goes all together. Still has rpm and odometer reading and the lights for indicators and high beam and fuel light and neutral. Just not the speed.

4. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    It sounds to me there is a fault in the dash which is brought on by the deceleration effect of closing the throttle, does this still happen if you close the throttle and very gently slow down ?

How confident would you be of removing the dash and opening it up and checking for internal faults ?

Looking for bad / dry joints damage to the circuit boards etc ? ....... If not ...........

I would start looking for a replacement dash to be honest.

5. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Bad connection somewhere or dodgy earth is my guess, Put my Tbird in for rear bearings and replacement drive belt, came out with the same speedo issue took it back told them speedo not working and it was ok when you got it kept it few hours and called to say all ok now, asked the manager what it was he said no idea havent spoke to technician as yet never did find out, but must have been a dodgy connection on one of the multi plugs or earth connection they removed.
    would be my first check

6. Beneath-shadows

Aug 3, 2018
    Australia
    I was looking around at things this morning and came across the earth point to the engine thought I would check it out. Just barely finger tight. So I gave it a bit of a clean and tightened it up and took it for a quick ride. seems to have made it better but still not great it charges but idk if it’s enough as when I got home the thermo fan kicked in and speedo disappeared again. I’m waiting for my obd2 cable to arrive so I can check for faults and reset the ecu to factory.
    I’ve taken the speedo apart before to check the circuit all looks fine in there.

7. Beneath-shadows

Aug 3, 2018
    Australia
    So my OBD2 turned up and I reflashed the factory map and everything went fine. Diagnostics shows a fault code for a the speed sensor. If I clear it without fixing anything will it just reproduce the fault code as idk when it was last hooked up to a diagnostics scanner. Still have an issue at low speed and short rides where the battery drops below 12.9 the dash still messes up and the bike rides ruff.
    Also the headlights are un-even left side is brighter with LEDS. Putting halogen lights in results in only one side functioning the high beam light. And the other really dull.

8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Send it back, they haven't fixed it.

9. Beneath-shadows

Aug 3, 2018
    Australia
    What do you mean? There’s no workshop here that wants to work on it. I’ve had to figure all this out on my own.

10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Yeah. I read text post and mixed it up.

11. Beneath-shadows

Aug 3, 2018
    Australia
    Just an update on this I had an auto electrician have a look at the bike and hard wire the stator and RR so there’s good connection there. Also went back to a sealed lead acid battery (made the most difference so far) installed a volt meter on a switch so I can check battery (always 12.7 - 12.9) was riding the best and smoothest ever until the thermo fan kicked in. When it kicked in a few times through town the speedo went away briefly but everything is still charged and charging correctly.
    What processes happen at the same time as the thermo fan going on and the speedo? What connection do both those things share?

12. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Earth connections ? as do a lot of other things, just an idea based on my issues following dealer visit,

Sorry cant be more help,

• Like Like x 1