Noise "cameras".....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Pegscraper, May 6, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Don't have to look for new pollutants. They took the lead out of our petrol and are now dumping increasing levels of ethanol in it.

But did you know that leaded petrol is still available and in widespread use? All piston engined aircraft, racecars, farm equipment and marine engines can legally use it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    All actions have
    Hi Eldon, at present it is a £50 fixed penalty notice, you can refuse this and elect trial at the Magistrates Court by way of a not guilty plea, personally I have only known of one case of riding with an illegal exhaust, the Magistrates dismissed the case and criticised the CPS for brining the case, the person in question produced the manufacturer's specification sheet, this stated "legal for road use with the baffle installed", wisely the person took photos on their phone at the point of being stopped by the Police, this demonstrated clear markings "road legal" and the baffle installed. It will be exceptionally difficult to prosecute a person riding a historic machine that had open pipes as standard as it left the factory at that time (or suitable replacements fitted). I ride machines that some may think have loud exhausts, however I have paperwork to say it is "road legal" etc etc, I could not have afforded to have had any sort of Court appearance in my professional occupation as this would have led to disciplinary action, and possible dismissal, given my excellent professional reputation with the Courts I would not compromise myself, it would also have led to revocation of other interests. Loud exhaust some may think I have, they are legal however and I make no apologises for having them. It's ironic that some electric motorcycle manufacturers are considering fitting software to mimic the sound of a combustion engine, with variable sounds, how mad is that. Anyway snowflakes melt in warm temperature's so we should all be ok. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker and petrol head. ps I also like heavy metal bands, gosh don't say they are going to be banned next.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I don't see what's ridiculous about open pipes, who in their right mind would not want to own and ride such machines as these below (and yes I do have one with open pipes). I took these photos at the S100 IOM last July for the festival of motorcycling, and they sound gorgeous, and we don't worry about exhaust noise in the IOM.

thumbnail_IMG_0782.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0784.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0785.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0796.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0800.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0801.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    That's a wind up, right?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Yes, I've read that too.The really serious tree huggers won"t be satisfied even with 100% electric mobilisation due to said pollution from tyres and brake linings etc. If they get their way we'll all be on horse back and up to our necks in horse sh*t.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    And Horse Shit ! Was ! The First major pollution problem world wide In Every Major City ! We invented the flushing LOO ! And before that the "thunder box" night cart ! Poop in a pot ... Which a horse drawn (shit mobile) would travel around at 0 dark hundred hours and pick up excrement as the horse's dispersed their own ... !
    Some Cities. London New York Paris etc Stank of it on a hot summers day ! And could be smelt from out at Sea ! Well coastal Cities could !

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. surlyone2

surlyone2 Active Member

Mar 29, 2022
    New Zealand
    Rumour has it that they tend to die after the first few hundred miles, (or less, even) and that horrible stuff inside is a health hazard to pedestrians and cyclists, etc, so urgent removal is good for all ! It's a filip for the soul to feel that you are doing the healthy bit for others ..... and the price that scrap metal merchants give for them is merely an unintended plus ! Onward Christian Soldiers .. and find another way to rid ourselves of those 'cyclists' !!!!

8. surlyone2

surlyone2 Active Member

Mar 29, 2022
    New Zealand
    And on the subject of horseshit, Cappy, anytime you lot wanna stop sending the '501's back, you're welcome. I'm sure your Govt gives every one of them a V-rod with 18ft handlebars and 'custom' pipes to stop the grizzling about no alcohol on the free flights "home" !! Not against noise at all .. ala, a Sporty Sport with Harris 2/1 .. ooOOMMMBAAAaaaa .. haha, and a big-bore T150 3/1 with open cone (so close to God that every time I rode it I came home with a wet crotch) ... BUT !!! ... I do tend to get evil thoughts when these ferkin' jerkoffs sit at the intersection near us holding them on the rev limiter. I think we all know the difference,eh ?

9. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    On '501's why should any country put up with another's crims! There were enough dumped here in the 1700's !?!?

10. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    We're sending ours to Rwanda now.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Patchinko

Patchinko Senior Member

Feb 1, 2018
    S.W. Hants
    On the loud pipes save lives issue, for an example I never had a single person step out in front of my old Bonnie with loud pipes.
    I have however had several near misses with pedestrians on my 125cc four stroke commuter scooter, and on one occasion had a guy actually run flat out into the front of the bike, completely unaware of my presence despite three daylight running lights.
    That could have actually been a fatality had I not managed to pull off an emergency stop.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  12. surlyone2

surlyone2 Active Member

Mar 29, 2022
    New Zealand
    Though I must (semi) agree Capt, and give your Govt thumbs up for their attitude (do you know our Lefty/Commo bastards have offered to take the Manus Island shitbags)? the ratio of 'free' flights is well tilted in your direction, at a guess, around 99.99% to .. um, who knows ? Sometimes I wish I'd stayed over you way ... ? P/S .. you don't have lineage to Moonlight or Ned doya ?

13. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I have a sat nav app on my phone, it links with my bike dash via Triumph's connectivity module, (also use it in my car all legal) the app alerts and shows in real time any speed detection vans, mobile units or fixed units, members are aware of the potential noise camera issue, if or when they appear members with the app can instantly press the alert (when safe and legal to do so) and it shows on the map, also notifies any accidents, delays etc etc. I have been using it for a long while now, the information re the app was given to me by a taxi driver who worked in a busy city centre.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    "Enjoyment" is subjective and yes, a very personal thing so speak for yourself on that one, plus, the "more environmentally friendly" footprint of EV's is not all it seems and greatly over estimated IMO.

• Agree Agree x 8
  15. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    On a positive note one big and respected manufacturer that produces aftermarket exhausts are making a replacement for Harley Davidson motorcycles, how it works is say you start the machine early morning and don't want to hack of neighbours, you can start it in quiet mode, then when on the open road switch it electronically to a nice howling sound, noise cameras no problem, flick the switch to quiet mode, bloody fantastic, and they look pretty cool to, hopefully they will cater for more makes and models in the future, until then I will stick with the Yoshimura and Scorpion, sometimes less the baffle, and personally I couldn't care less about the snowflake brigade and their orange confetti.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #56 Eldon, Jul 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    Looked at a v8 hotrod car in the Isle of Man and got chatting to the owner. It turned out his headers had cable operated trapdoors fitted, where the pipes bend to the rear, giving you the choice of open pipes when you wanted it
    It sounded really well :cool::yum ......... but as the owner pointed out, you have to be careful where you use it both from a noise perspective but equally important is the potential fire hazard, like on say a grass field :dizzy:o_O

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    These exhaust system valves are not uncommon on high end sports cars with various power and driving modes. They're basically the same as the EXUP system first used on Yamaha's FZR400 in the late '80's and then on many other models. It was designed primarily for a greater spread of power and torque but also had the additional benefit of silencing the exhaust at low-midrange which helped in drive-by noise tests.

• Like Like x 1