Nodding.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Dave C, Aug 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I respect all bikers, whether I am riding my bike or in the car.
    On the way back from Bristol in my car last weekend I saw a biker up ahead and had time to safely pull over from lane 3 to the hard shoulder. As I pull up past his bike his expression was pure WTF!!!:eek:
    He initially thought I had a problem with my car but I quickly explained I am a biker too and have a Speed Triple he relaxed and we took a look at his Triumph Explorer, totally brand new.
    He clearly had a flat and unfortunately ridden for a short while which meant the bead seal to the rim was gone and I had no chance of repairing the puncture and getting air to stay in.
    (I carry the Stop n Go repair kit in my car too)
    He was bloody grateful I had tried to help, and I hope that if fate deals me a low blow, a fellow biker would be able to help me, I figure my karma balance sheet is well in credit:D
    So I feel us bikers have an affinity with each other, and I know that if I see a biker whether Scooter, Harley or sports machine, I would help out. By giving acknowledgement to each other this fragile bond of respect and kinship is maintained and strengthened.
    It is what bikers always have been, it is who we are and will always be.

...and I can only consider myself a biker not because I ride a bike but because I will go above and beyond to help a brother or sister biker out. If I drive past a biker in need because I saw them too late to pull over safely, I genuinely feel bad for a long while.

So I wave of nod, it's a sort of way of saying,"hi there, nice bike, ride safe and I may not know you but if you need a hand and I can help, me or one of my buddies should be along shortly"

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 6
  2. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I always stop to help a bike in distress and have even given a stricken biker a lift home thought that's what we're all supposed to do as we're all in the same boat (not a boat but you know what i mean):D

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Well said that man.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    I guess I'm lucky with regard to interest from other bikers, cars and the police. Everyone seems to like sidecars. Other bikers - regardless of the type of bike or even members of the clubs with attitudes - will generally wave to me, and every 5th car I pass will wave or give me a 'thumbs-up.' All of the police wave to me when I pass them - actually a finger just lifts off the steering wheel :) They all get a wave back from me if I can manage it, or at least get a head nod. It's really hard to wave when you're making a hard, slow turn and going through the gears, or when you're running ~25 to 30 mph and get the dreaded front end wobble if you take a hand off the bars :( The other thing about a sidecar is that people will actually pull you over on the highway to talk ("I've been thinking about getting a motorcycle with a sidecar, or how is this different from a CanAm, etc."), and you're constantly stopped in parking lots for questions. It's quite a different experience than when I rode my America and Trophy SE.

• Like Like x 6
  5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I nod at everyone else on two wheels but not bothered if I don't get recognition back.
    Had a salute off a Harley rider the other day (he was on his own though!)
    Stopped twice to help other bikers in trouble - could't help with the snapped chain and shattered crank casing but at least I chatted to him until his mates turned round and came back for him. :D

• Like Like x 6
  6. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

b7a72741ebeaf6888907a43c5bdbffdd.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  7. Pedro1340

Pedro1340 Senior Member

Jan 31, 2018
    .Glasgow
    All my biking life (45yrs)since I passed my test I’ve always nodded or waved at other bikers.Ive been lucky enough to always had two bikes on the go,the last 26 years owning a Harley dyna,,,pissed me off wen Harley riders wouldn’t wave or acknowledge if I wasn’t riding the Harley,,,i still wave at them as I overtake them on my triple,,and feel a bit sorry for them,,I can smell their envy ,,

• Like Like x 2
  8. Stan Field

Stan Field Member

May 6, 2018
    Bristol, UK
    Yeah, well I find that most london scooter riders, which you clearly are, aren't part of the bikers fraternity. So called londoners are in their own rude disrespectful selfish world, the rest of us, in the real world, have a sense of community and acknowledging fellow bikers is part of being as one Community and one group. Bikers are a minority victimised by government, public and some police forces. You need to learn some respect for other bikers, if you want to get along with them. Otherwise sell your scooter and hop back on the subsidised public London transport that the rest of us pay for but don't get to use. You are clearly on the wrong forum here, try transport for london, you'll fit in there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Madmatt

Madmatt Member

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    All I have to say in reply is, go F#*K yourself. I haven’t ridden a scoot since passing my test. I always have respect for other riders. I just don’t feel the need to wave at everyone.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Not a fan of London then?????..................:p

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Stan Field

Stan Field Member

May 6, 2018
    Bristol, UK
    Once a scooter rider......

12. Stan Field

Stan Field Member

May 6, 2018
    Bristol, UK
    Whaaaat, where did you get that from

13. Madmatt

Madmatt Member

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    We all have to learn and earn our wings somewhere. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dave Teece

Dave Teece Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    When I started riding in 1980 I really enjoyed the fact that almost every rider acknowledged each other. Sadly it's a dying trait, I will normally nod other motorcycles, not mopeds. I see them as commuters and not really 'into' motorcycling. I admit they may be on them to commute and get the big boy out on weekends and such.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kerry Lohrey

Kerry Lohrey Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Tasmania
    Like i said earlier, riding a motorbike used to be out of hardship or for the love of riding so there was a common passion acknowledged amongst other riders. But now its mostly riding for the "wank" value so i wouldnt expect a wave. Just dont break down and expect another biker to stop !!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Pedro1340

Pedro1340 Senior Member

Jan 31, 2018
    .Glasgow
    Fkn hell,,I could almost hear the violin playing at the start of that post,,,I wave or nod because it actually makes me feel better,,but the thought of riders out there only for the wank value !!!! The wife ain’t getting to read that or I will never be allowed out on the bike ,,,,:)

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Pedro1340

Pedro1340 Senior Member

Jan 31, 2018
    .Glasgow
    Fkn hell,,I could almost hear the violin playing at the start of that post,,,I wave or nod because it actually makes me feel better,,but the thought of riders out there only for the wank value !!!! The wife ain’t getting to read that or I will never be allowed out on the bike ,,,,:)

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Kerry Lohrey

Kerry Lohrey Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Tasmania
    Hi there Pedro, i started riding 50 years ago and still do, the comradrie in the pre-jap bike days often meant helping a broken down biker out. Another "violin" post . Ha!ha!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    I was out for a ride yesterday and heading home I seen a young couple on the verge of a roundabout stood beside their Ducati monster, I pulled over to ask if they were OK, they'd been nudged off by a car driver who changed his mind half way round the roundabout resulting in a snapped clutch lever, they were waiting the long wait for the AA :confused: at least they were OK.

• Like Like x 3
  20. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    "Pre-JAP days" WTF?

Made me think of this:
    :blush:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1