Nodding.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Dave C, Aug 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Stan Field

Stan Field Member

May 6, 2018
    Bristol, UK
    Down yer in sunny brizzol I'd say 95% acknowledge and even some cyclists are trying to get in on the act. I had one lycra clad loony nod at me from across traffic lights, I just looked at him slightly confused, did he nod I thought? Again he nodded, but slightly more aggressively, still I just looked at him. He then started nodding very aggressively, so I gave him a smile and a bradders finger then smiled all the way home, made my day

2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Reminds me of the recent trip to Spain, we had found a wonderful road that ran along one of the many reservoirs, about 10 miles of superb sweeping twisties, at the far end there was a roundabout which just encouraged you to go back for another lap ... we did this 3 times it was so good. Anyway this road was also favoured by MAMILs getting in the fecking way, sometimes 4 abreast! so when we finally had our fun 3 or 4 of us who had gapped the rest of our group stopped at the roundabout, one of said MAMILs commented to my mate on the way past "you guys were riding very fast", my mate replies "Thank you", I told him it wasn't meant as a compliment!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Triple1

Triple1 New Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Not Wales
    Same in France

• Like Like x 2
  4. Alisdair

Alisdair Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Richmond, London, UK
    I'll often throw a little salute if I see it's a Bonneville, Thunderbird or Rocket rider. I don't usually expect a nod back if they're on a Harley!

• Like Like x 1
  5. horned one

horned one Member

Jul 29, 2016
    rhondda
    I lift a couple of fingers off the throttle as an acknowlegement of other bikers. If I pass another bike, I will lift fingers off the clutch side to wave. I even do this if a car has moved over to let me past. If I pass a British bike, especially an old one, I give 'em a "thumbs up".
    Harley riders don't wave. They always look so miserable and stone-faced it makes me think it must be a real chore to ride a H-D.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    I think a quick nod is a nice mark of cameraderie just as the friendly wave between original VW beetle drivers used to be... I do nod but can’t quite get it right so worry everone thinks I’m having a funny turn so really do need to investigate some better ways of greeting fellow two wheelers!.. I never bother with HD riders though as they never even nodded back when I owned one... too busy concentrating on keeping upright perhaps?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    To be fair to Harley riders they're usually too focused on the road ahead hoping there isn't a round-a-bout or bend to negotiate.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    I always nod to all bikers as most round are way nod back you will always get the odd Harley rider that doesn't.but I think that's because they are so surprised that it hasn't broken down :p
    _20180629_153339.jpg Tucker​

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Here in the North West most riders to acknowledge a nod. However as in all walks of life there are those that don't play along. My view is so what, as long as I keep up the practice thats all that matters. Feck them all!
    Wessa

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  10. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Maybe he owned a proper bike too and forgot he was wearing his Lycra ferret bag and not his leathers :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    When I first started riding at 17, I was blimin confused why bikers were waving and nodding at me.
    Was my Suzuki TS50er spitting out smoke, was there a copper ahead, was it because I was wearing a rain coat with wool gloves and I looked stupid!!!?
    Turns out bikers are friendly guys n gals and when this dawned on me I nodded and waved like the best of them
    I also got some better gear after a friendly biker pointed out mine wasn't up to scratch...

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    I had a motorbike cop nodding and waving at me once when I was 17 ... rather worryingly he followed me home but when stopped he was only interested in whether the bike had a sports carburetor rather than my trying to explain no tax disc as just taken for an MOT !!... 1967 and a BSA Roadrocket .. how things have changed .. even the sun shone every summer day way back then...nice even these days the camaraderie continues... fantastic things motorbikes... frees the spirit :)

• Like Like x 7
  13. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I Mostly nod but it depends where I am. In busy areas full of motorcyclists I find a lot of bikers do not nod possibly as that’s just overkill.
    Harley riders are of course the supreme type and above connecting to us ordinary real bikers from what I’ve found. I don’t generally nod to ‘L’ plate riders as they’ve not earned their entrance medals yet and some are just passing yobs in my opinion with no intentions of becoming full blown unless..........

they nod to me and know the code.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Uncorrugated

Uncorrugated Senior Member

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    Could also be that, like me, many cyclists ride motorbikes too and forget we are out without engine.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Uncorrugated

Uncorrugated Senior Member

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    I guess that bikers are no different to lots of others on the road. Most car drivers acknowledge with a wave when yoyu let them through a gap or have given way at an obstruction and some won't.

I generally give a nod or wave but don't get upset if it isn't reciproceted, it's just what I do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    I nod to all with varying levels of response but I have noticed I get fewer returned nods on my Bonneville than I did when I had my GSX1400, I actually get less on the Bonnie than I do if I'm riding the old rat Guzzi thing but on the Guzzi the returned nod seems to turn into some quizzical look of astonishment like they're surprised it's going-and normally going fairly swiftly. Maybe I should clean it or at least tend to the rust.....

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

4fd2709dce2733c7337f432fc1150883--motorcycle-quotes-biker-quotes.jpg

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Madmatt

Madmatt Member

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    I don’t nod or wave too anyone, I ride in London. Nodding at other riders just isn’t possible as there’s so many. When I’m out in the country side I still don’t nod, why should i?? Just because someone’s riding a bike I don’t see the need to kept nodding or waving. I don’t understand why some people seem to get so upset, I don’t know you so why should I wave.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  19. David Cooper

Subscriber

Respect and comradeship with other like minded bikers, who will help you in times of trouble, that's why.:imp:

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  20. David Cooper

Subscriber

P.S you will probably have to move from the capital city of this once great land to receive any respect these days.

• Like Like x 2