No Start, Not Oil Pressure Light, No Neutral Indicator

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Terry S, Jul 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Terry S

Terry S Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Volcano, HI
    My bike is a 2006 Bonneville.
    So I decided to replace my chrome headlight shell with a gloss black unit. I took off the head light, unmated all of the plugs, then discovered that the puka in the new gloss black shell was just a little bit too small to admit all of the plugs. So I hooked everything back up, and now, with the ignition key in the on position, I have headlight and tail light, but no oil pressure light, no neutral gear indicator light, no turn signals, and the start button does nothing. The kill switch is in the proper position to start. I've checked the fuses, and inspected all of the plug connections in the headlight shell. Everything looks fine.
    Any idea where my problem is?

2. Terry S

Jul 24, 2018
    Volcano, HI
    I am checking for that. I've got a manual and the wiring is a bit hard to follow. Much water fell out of the plastic sheathing for the harness when I disconnected everything. I've taken the plugs apart (again) and hit the plug fronts and backs with WD40 (this should displace and remaining water). I am an electrical technician by training, but I hate to haul out the VOM and trace the wires if I don't have to. I think that the neutral switch might be a good place to check, but I do not know why I do not have a glowing oil pressure indicator light when I turn on the ignition.

3. Terry S

Jul 24, 2018
    Volcano, HI
    Looks like I will have to pull out the VOM. Both the oil pressure light and the neutral indicator get their 12V from the Alarm Control Unit or the Ignition control unit. They are probably under the seat or a side panel. I'll let you know what I find out. Grrr. The weather was great for riding today, that'll teach me to start replacing parts without a clear path to getting on the road again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Check fuses (a short could have popped one)
    Check for voltage at ignition switch.

5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    A lot of Triumphs have a connector at the yoke, which can get stretched, anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    With so much now not working I would first check all fuses and recently moved connectors & wiring .....

Then check that you have a ground connection to the items that are not working, have you missed a connection somewhere ?

7. Terry S

Jul 24, 2018
    Volcano, HI
    I have visually inspected the fuses, they all look good. The electrical connections in the headlight shell look good, they lock positively & you can't confuse one connecting plug for another, they won't fit if you try & match up the wrong M/F pair. I will start by tracing the oil pressure light circuit, since the OP light should be on any time the ignition is on, and the engine is not running.

8. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Where does it all earth out ? as I'm guessing with so many issues its a common fault like a shared earth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terry S

Jul 24, 2018
    Volcano, HI
    I'm getting closer. At the bottom center of the wiring diagram you can see the ignition switch. It makes three connections when on. My problem is that none of the circuits energized by the rightmost connection are working with the ignition on. Everything on the other two connections made by the key switch -- parking & brake light, etc. -- is okay. The 12V for the right most connection passes through a 15A fuse -- the fuse checks okay with a VOM. I have to dig further.

2006_bonnie_wd.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Can you access the ignition switch connector if so check for voltage at pin 5 ( power from fuse 5 ) and pin 6 power out to kill switch

• Like Like x 1
  11. Terry S

Jul 24, 2018
    Volcano, HI
    Okay, I fixed it.
    But I don't know how I fixed it. I checked for 12V power going to and through the ignition key switch contacts to the circuit that was failing, then I disconnected all the harnesses in the headlight shell. I then figured out which connector was which on the wiring diagram, and reconnected them, one at a time, basically building my missing circuit step by step. I reached the point of the last connection up to the dash (still checking for power & ground on the failed oil light pressure indicator), and found that I had 12V and ground going to the oil pressure light. I thought something must have pulled loose on the cable going into the dash. So I hooked up the dash to its connector, and, voila, a miracle, it worked. Everything worked. The bike started and ran perfectly (bad memories of Lucas electrics overwhelmed me).
    I think that in the process of disconnecting, cleaning, and reseating the connectors inside the headlight shell I must have eliminated a short caused by the water that had collected inside the plastic sheathing of the cables. Or maybe magic? "Merlin, Merlin, hear my plea! Make my motorcycle go for me!"

• Like Like x 3
  12. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    All that matters is that its running, enjoy

Good luck

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    One trick I have always used is to put a little dielectric grease on 'any' electrical connection I touch during bike maintenance. Fuses, battery connections, light connections, whatever. Even on a brand new bike. The dielectric grease keeps moisture out preventing corrosion. May not help, but does not hurt. Not sure if it is just luck but I have never had an electrical problem w/ my rides.

Anyway I'm glad it's fixed so you can enjoy your ride.

Aloha

• Like Like x 1