no longer a newbie, there's been plenty ....

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by unclejonboy, Aug 22, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. unclejonboy

unclejonboy Member

Aug 20, 2016
    ibeeria
    ....after me and that's only since yesterday.. good active forum! and good to see other dirty foreigners to keep up with me.
    If you should be interested the '94 Trophy story continues...read on
    after the first tentative 20 miler this morning I sat down and gazed at the more important stuff. it came with no handbook or manual so it took a while to sus out how to get the seat off, where the batt was, what all those pretty buttons did and so on.
    We had 40 ยบ C today and having left the bike in the sun I came back to a curious whistling noise... sounded definitely electronic, like a cellphone battery about to expire.
    No, definitely coming from the bike....no ignition on, disconnected the battery....turns out to be expanding gas fumes...opened the filler cap, stopped instantly. few mins later wheeeeeeeee. opened filler cap, stopped . Triumph have obviously patented a 'don't park the bike in the sun' warning system. My mate's 595 has a similar sun warning system....no whistle, just egg sized blisters all over the plastic gas tank.
    Checked all the vital fluids, pumped up the tyres, went for a longer 2 hour 200km still gentl-ish blast. Its definitely growing on me, and fast becoming better than the Beemer K100. Same age, same standard of kit. but apart from the superior fairing/screen protection of the K, and solid luggage its just feeling like a better bike.
    Continually stabbing for another gear though...120kph at 4000rpm seems abit short-legged and a bit frenetic....the car does 3100rpm for 130kpm and apart from the K I have had a rake of sportsters and big twins which if nothing else are relaxing and you don't change gear for hours.
    Mentioned it previously, but a sprocket change option on the cards? any one done it.? Used a fair bit of gas too, maybe 40 mpg. The K is about the same, but the 1200 Sporty would do half that again and with no fairing.
    Another long ride scheduled this week, and a Granada Seville Toledo trip in September, if I can sort some hard panniers,...any recommendations ?... non original gear no problem, Givi etc. Watch this space

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I've just gone up one tooth on the front sprocket of my Tiger 955i and it made the following differences:

18T - 80kph in 6th gear 3300rpm; 100kph in 6th gear 4000rpm

19T - 80kph in 6th gear 3000rpm; 100kph in 6th gear 3700rpm.

It has made no difference to acceleration as far as I can tell and doesn't need lots of clutch sliding on pull-away.

It HAS made the bike feel more long-legged and comfortable to ride.

PS You don't say if yours is a 900 or 1200 Trophy, but here's where you can buy stuff and their service is excellent:

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/chains-sprockets-trophy-900cc-driveline-accessories-255-c.asp

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    You can have a look here for how a sprocket tooth change will affect your bike

4. unclejonboy

unclejonboy Member

Aug 20, 2016
    ibeeria
    Thanks for the info TheBigLad...actually you replied to my opening post on the Newbies forum
    Its a 1994 1200. I will check out the link.
    Did the one tooth increase mean you had to add a link to the chain or was there enough slack in the system to accommodate the larger sprocket?

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    There was more than enough slack in the chain as it was, so no chain modifications required.

Actually the front sprocket on the Tiger was first used on my T100, again going from 18 to 19T.

See attachment for further info on gearing rations:

Attached Files:

6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    There was more than enough slack in the chain as it was, so no chain modifications required.

Actually the front sprocket on the Tiger was first used on my T100, again going from 18 to 19T

7. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    If you decide to change the gearbox sprocket then budget for an oil and filter change as well as the sprocket cover is actually part of the crankcase, and you can admire the oil soaked mechanical gubbins once it is removed.

Good luck with all that .... snigger, snigger! (Not the easiest job in the world, or maybe I did it wrong - twice!)

8. unclejonboy

unclejonboy Member

Aug 20, 2016
    ibeeria
    as it happens I was down on all fours earlier and thought uh oh noway looks like a nightmare, my dad said never buy a bike where you cant see the motor and that was forty yrs ago . probably why Ive always liked the Sportster, there it is, in your face, you get what you see. Heavens know where the sparkplugs are on the Trophy, and stevethegoolie don't tell me you have to take the crankcase to bits to change the oilfilter.... sounds a bit like the silt trap on the old Meriden twins.
    Anyway another couple undred KMs before breakfast today... gets too hot to ride midday. teeshirt and shorts you burn, leathers and you cook. And still its up there with the best. Its growing on me and doesn't even seem so big as I thought when I first clapped eyes on it The K is definetely going to get ratted...always thought it would make a good raw bike. and flog all the plastic to pay for a couple relocation brackets for caff style lights and atank seat unit etc . night night I'm knackered

• Like Like x 1
  9. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Don't worry about the oil filter ... it lives behind its own circular cover in the sump, not a million miles away from the oil drain plug.:)
    When you remove the sprocket cover it reveals both the sprocket (and loads of caked on chain lube) and a hole in the side of the crankcase which is open to the innards of the engine - a bit like a 'viewing window'. Some muppet designed it that way, presumably to increase oil, oil filter and gasket (yes there's a gasket involved) sales.:mad:
    Spark plugs are located at the top of the engine between the two cam covers, but I guess you knew that all along! Not the easiest of plugs to access though.
    Getting to the air filter is also a right royal pain in the arse, which is why many folk (me included) fit a K&N filter, or similar, then you can leave well alone - thankfully - very thankfully!:cool:
    Most other jobs are fairly simple - honest!!