Nitron Shocks - Word Of Warning. Closure! :-)

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Flashp, Dec 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
  2. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    have a look at Wilbers suspension,the uk supplier is a company called Revs 0121 5013321, I fitted a Wilbers rear shock to a Daytona 675 it was excellent, it provided a plush ride plush great handling.its upto you but I personally wouldn’t buy hagon as there a much better quality shocks out there,good luck.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I'll give them a look. I've actually heard of them but hadn't recalled them. Cheers.

4. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #64 Flashp, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    I must be careful not share an opinion here but facts will be OK.

I had a refund in full for the purchase price of the shocks and labour charge made fairly promptly, however, there was a figure agreed which is referred to as 'damages' which encompasses a gesture towards the repair which is not the full cost of returning the bike to it's 'as supplied to you' condition, and compensation recognising the fact that they were co-responsible in parts being fitted to the bike which caused damage. It's a realistic figure which SJ have agreed in writing to pay. It's not a huge sum, certainly one which I thought they'd leap at the chance of paying to put this to bed.

Unfortunately I can only assume that they are attempting to claim this back from Nitron before payment is made to me. They seem to remain ignorant of the fact that my contract is with them and not Nitron. Emails in reply to mine are now not forthcoming.

My last to them this week advises that I will be applying online for a 'Court Claim for Money' (Small Claims Court) this Friday after midday if payment remains outstanding and that they'll become responsible for costs at that point and that they should expect formal notice shortly after.

As an aside, a couple of weeks ago I did have a conversation with SJ during which I was asked if would be willing to talk to Nitron about this and could he pass on my phone number. I declined and requested that my phone number was not passed on as I had no interest in becoming entwined in Nitron correcting an engineering problem and even possibly loaning them my bike, SJ suggested they might request this. Unfortunately my number was passed on and I had an unsolicited conversation with an individual.
    Prior to refunds being discussed the best offer I had was, literally, a few £'s for a tin of paint and that was the best offer. When I took decisive steps were and more meaningful sums became involved the matter seemed to attract more serious attention.

I do hope that my scepticism is misplaced and that they choose to resolve this before the deadline tomorrow in spite of communication ceasing.

It's disappointing, I have opinions on this but I shall keep those to myself. This thread is, and remains, factual for the benefit of others to do as they please with the information within.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Thanks for posting your update, it is an interesting story that I'm sure others will benefit from :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. LeezRyd

LeezRyd Noble Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Left side of the pond
    Flashp, sorry for the late reply. Previously you had asked how I liked the Hagon 2810's. To be frank, I put them on when my T100 had only 133 miles on the clock, so giving an honest assessment is nil. I've enjoyed my ride with them, but being an old codger, my ride style is more about posterior comfort than canyon carving. I can say that they do their job as intended, but I'm probably part of the 80%, or so, who would have just as much satisfaction with the factory units

• Like Like x 1
  7. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Well the fact that you haven't taken them off is something!

8. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Well this has gone south. It seems now, after agreeing a payment for compensation and SJM saying that they'd pay it on two different occasions, they've decided not to pay me but apparently would pay a paint shop directly. It was a relatively small sum that omitted any labour cost in stripping the bike down, which was made clear. My claim was agreed with them for the sum of £200.
    Labour cost in stripping a bike down for powder coating and re-build is around £1000. I was never going to do this, the claim figure is based on repair and it was intended to be up to me what I do with the cash but as far I am concerned it would have closed the matter.

This payment was intended to acknowledge the damage that was done to the bike at 4 months old, their incompetence for fitting parts that were clearly not going to fit properly, my time and expense in delivering the shocks to them initially, any repair option I choose and the general disappointment in having a young bike damaged.

SJM also won't respond to emails which I requested as I wanted a written record of discussions and the last voicemail he left was full of angst and he was clearly very hacked off. He claims that he's had legal advice from his solicitor and has been advised that I don't have the right to do what I'm doing. So, he'll pay a paint shop £180 but not me and because of that I seem to have no option but to apply for a Court Claim for Money. Apparently SJM got this advice in around 45 minutes in between leaving me messages.

SJM seem very sure that my claim is with Nitron and not himself which I'm certain is not the case since SJM were the retailer.

I plan on checking to see if they're members of any trade organization tomorrow but it looks like I've no option left but to claim now unfortunately.

Any opinions welcome and invited. :)

9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Don’t give up mate :mad:
    And take the fecker’s to the cleaners :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    You only have two options, take the offer of the paint shop, or go down the legal route. Only you can make that decision.

11. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    It's always been my understanding the retailer is liable and they sort out their costs with the supplier.

I can't understand SJM, it's pretty cut and dried and the costs to them sound like they were getting off lightly. Just this thread will probably cost them business now. It's no help to you, but both KTech and Brooks Suspension, who only supplied my shocks, I actually fitted them, were both really helpful. Though, I didn't have any paint damage.

Good luck with whatever you do.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Vectis John

Vectis John Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    I have used the small claims process. It’s very, very, straight forward and not intimidating if your unused to the legal process.
    My only advice to you would be to obtain documentary evidence of your loss. So if you intend to claim for the frame damage to be put right get a quote from an independent stating what the cost is and how they arrive at the figure. Better still get a couple. The County Court Judge will base their decision as to compensation on those documents.
    Go for it, believe me it’s a very good process.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Thank you for this, it's encouraging to know as it's my first time. I have everything you suggest but I'll follow your advice on additional quotes. Cheers :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    At last I have closure. This was achieved only through the claims process and as Vectis John has already said it was very straightforward. There was a point where SJ believed that they would pay a figure which was less than the claim figure and as far he was concerned that was the end of it. I spoke to the department that issued the notice and they advised that since it was a part settlement I was to mark the case as part payment received after which they would issue a request for payment for £45 warning that a CCJ would be raised if they failed to pay by 7/4/20...all for £45.

It was worthwhile my having a summarized chronological record of dialogue from emails ready as you get to submit evidence when you raise a claim, photo's are a must also.

So, I have Hagon 2810's in black and they ride great at 10mm longer than stock. They're a new version where the adjustment wheel is substituted for an allen screw and some other metalwork changes apparently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually prefer the look on this bike, more in keeping. The silver washers have since been painted black.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Very smart job, so pleased you got is sorted.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. FatLadsRacing

FatLadsRacing Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2019
    South Shields, England
    Hagon's look great. Had some on my R3 a while back, now have T120. How well do you rate the 2810 as shocks &fork springs will be next upgrade?

17. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    To be honest, between these and Nitrons there isn't £400 worth of difference. The 2810 work great on this bike, if I'd chosen badly I'd say so. They're very comfortable, pre load on softest setting and rebound/compression is set mid way. The Nitrons are beautifully engineered, theres no doubt about that and they're a first class piece of kit.

I already have Ohlins cartridges which are what you'd expect. Plenty of cheaper options which I think would work just as well on these bikes. Andreani etc.

• Like Like x 1
  18. FatLadsRacing

Apr 18, 2019
    South Shields, England
    Think the Hagons could be just the job. The T120 is not a sports bike so kitting it with sport/costly suspension is not needed, especially at my age!! They will be a good improvement on the OEM kit along with progressive fork springs. Cheers.

• Like Like x 2
  19. FatLadsRacing

Apr 18, 2019
    South Shields, England
    I also put Metzeler Roadtec 01 tyres on. Massive improvement on Phantoms.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Vectis John

Vectis John Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    Excellent news ! Enjoy the bike now !

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1