News Channel

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by DCS900, Oct 5, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    I am not particularly a fan in either direction but I did hear recently that the "take back control of our borders" relates to the control of political borders (which the same article said "we have done")...not, like, actual sandy coastline "borders".

Meanwhile, it was suggested that "anyone who wants to seek asylum - of either political or economic, should be welcome to come, be held/looked after, work while their application is assessed. This gives a legitimate route "in". However the "hand in hand" flip side of this is that the message needs to "go out" that that is the way, and the only way in. Anyone entering not via this route is immediately deported with no option to appeal. This removes the "reward" for illegal entry.

Needs work, but was an interesting proposal....

Another point that was raised, not sure how it all fitted in..was that people get here without papers or ID...these are people coming via legitimate ferry/aeroplane....but "lose" their identity during transit. I found it interesting that you can not get on the plane without ID...but you can get off it?

Anyway...I have no answers, thank goodness we have the best and well paid people on it already!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

I do like a sense of humour......:p:grinning:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Living in Tucson, a mere one hour drive from the Mexican border, this story is not so different than what we see here in Arizona with migrants crossing into the U.S. from Mexico and other Latin American countries. In the case of the article that you shared, @DCS900, those in search of a better life died crossing a body of water. Here in Arizona, they die crossing the desert.

I've lived in Tucson for 30 years and the issue of people entering the U.S. illegally is long-standing. Living so close to the border, I realize how simple the issue may seem at face value and yet how complex it is. I grew up in a very small farm town in southern Minnesota. My mom lived there until she died in 2013. She and I had many conversations about border issues and she couldn't fathom why anyone would willingly leave their home and enter America illegally. Her view was basically, "why don't they just make their lives better where they already live?" When I shared one particularly horrific though not uncommon reason--drug cartels often threaten families with death if one or more family members won't become drugs mules--she was aghast. And I asked her how bad her life would have to be for her to leave the home she had lived in for over 50 years.

Having met a number of Mexicans that crossed the border earlier in their lives and made a life for themselves in Tucson, my perspective is different than I'm sure it would be had I not left my small home town. And 30 years of living here near the border, reading the news, talking with people, and traveling to Mexico many times, I know it's not as simple as the politicians and the newspapers would have us believe. Nope, I don't have a solution, BTW.

All of the places referenced in this article are a within a couple of hours drive from where I live. Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument is only 126 miles from Tucson.
    Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 2.50.44 PM.png

This USAToday story is several years old, but nothing much has changed other than that construction on The Wall has ceased.

https://www.usatoday.com/border-wal...co-border-deaths-organ-pipe-cactus/608910001/
    Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 2.43.50 PM.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    I’ll read the article when I have time to give it justice Sandi, I seem to recall somewhere that the southern borders crossing deaths in America were around 300 per year, but that’s lot longer stretch than our 300 miles of southern border

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I think you'll find the article informative, DCS. It does speak to the number of deaths (or estimates) in Arizona. And I'm glad that you'll read it when you have a bit of time. I found it a moving read.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Just watching the news here and apparently, (according to grant schapps), it's because the route of getting in via lorries (trucks) has pretty much vanished due to technology so the only way is via the channel. That obviously in everyones vision instead of under the radar (which has been going on for years with untold numbers)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Can’t help thinking that there is a much bigger story in play as the French now cancel a meeting with the UK. The migrants are just political footballs. Very sad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DCS900

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Oh my such a waste of a life. Can a human life ever be worth saving a few tools?

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #70 Sandi T, Dec 5, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    Yes, @DCS900, I do live quite close to the location with this happened.--it’s only 14 miles from our house. The officer has been fired but other factual details are just trickling in. Has been something about it in our local newspaper each day since the incident happened.

@Wessa, I completely agree with you about a waste of human life. :(The shoplifting of the toolbox at a Walmart certainly started the whole progression of tragic events but my understanding of the basic facts (alleged facts perhaps?) include that the man in the wheelchair brandished a knife and the officer tried to talk him out of it. He refused to relinquish the knife and began going into a home improvement store with it. Then the officer shot him. Nine times. In the back. To me at this point how the officer got from trying to talk a man in a wheelchair out of a knife to shooting him in the back nine times is incomprehensible. The police chief when interviewed talked about all the training officers receive about de-escalation and using minimum amount of force necessary. I mean geez, the guy was in a wheelchair with a knife, not an assault rifle.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yes the escalation is just not proportional to the crime. Perhaps there will be more clarity as the facts emerge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yes the escalation is just not proportional to the crime. Perhaps there will be more clarity as the facts emerge.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DCS900

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    We don’t know it the dude had history of violence, or was known to the police, if he actually needed the scooter (he may have been a fully able bloke on drugs who just entertained himself on a scooter) or any other concealed weapon/bomb. The threshold of the other building seemed to be the pressure point for the cop, forcing him into the decision to act.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    It’s not rocket science to disable a wheel chair and to then reassess the situation you would have thought? If he then stands up and starts to get lairy, that’s a different story…
    I think it’s horrible for him (cop) to just grab him like that as you can clearly see he’s not able to react and cuff him so forcefully.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Never take a knife to a gun fight.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DCS900

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    The rich getting richer, the poor getting poorer... it seems there are financial benefits for an elite 0.01% in having a pandemic, luckily they are not powerful or political otherwise there could be accusations of a conflict of interest...
    (BTW... if you are one of the 520,000 wealthiest people on the planet, would you mind buying me Matt’s guitar as a nice forum gesture! :p Adie has a nice bike he’s shifting too... just sayin’)

https://www.reuters.com/business/pandemic-boosts-super-rich-share-global-wealth-2021-12-07/

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Such a pity we can't apply multiple ratings to individual posts ...........................:heart:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #78 Sandi T, Dec 7, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    I agree with you, @Adie P. I'd add these (of course, some of these emojis aren't even available in the post rating list):

:(:mad::sob::scream::imp::poop:

This report disturbs me deeply but, sadly, it doesn't surprise me. The 2008 financial crisis and ensuing recession was when I first became acutely aware of how the rich, particularly the ultra-rich, are able cash in on catastrophes and the misery of others. I'd read that the same things occurred during the Great Depression, too. And it has probably happened through time immemorial. Those with massive amounts of wealth can take advantage of the woes of others and buy up real estate, companies, etc. I find it abhorrent. At the very least they could buy Matt’s guitar for @DCS900 and spring for @Adie P's bike.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. DCS900

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    QED @Sandi T QED. :);):kissing_heart::heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1