Newchurch vs street twin

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Knopflerstyle, Apr 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Knopflerstyle

Knopflerstyle New Member

Apr 15, 2017
    CA
    HI, how are you? My name es Mark, im 33 and I am looking for a triumph. Before buy anything I used to search and discuss in forums where interesting people and ideas are really welcome.

Actually a dealer here has a 2015 newchurch and a street twin at the same price, both brand new.

I have searching and it seems that the new church is the old street twin.

Basically different engine and no liquid cooled. No security systems (abs, traction Control) and different front wheel size and maybe more vintage looking.

I really like the newchurch but at the same price of a street twin seems to be expensive comparing both technologies and year of production.

Any comment? Both are reliable? Is air cooled simplear and easier to repair? Thanks a lot for your help.

• Like Like x 1
  2. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Hi Mark,
    I have a 2015 Newchurch in blue, and love it!
    I will freely admit that it took some getting used to after 10 plus years of a VFR800 but now that we understand each other I wouldn't have it any other way.
    It is so stylish and gadget free, just how I like it.
    To be fair, I can't comment on the Street twin but I think the Newchurch is easily the more stylish of the two.
    Mine has a centre stand fitted, essential I think, a Scottoiler and a Triumph rack.
    We are off to Spain on ours in July.
    Newchurch gets my vote, go for it!

Curly

• Like Like x 3
  3. Knopflerstyle

Knopflerstyle New Member

Apr 15, 2017
    CA
    So both engines are reliable, and no problems at all? Does the newchurch cheaper due the air cooled system?

4. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    I suggest you have a look at Cal Moto on YouTube. He has many great reviews, including the Newchurch and the Street Twin.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Knopflerstyle

Knopflerstyle New Member

Apr 15, 2017
    CA
    According to Cal, the ST is the most exciting bike of the world. The newchurch I am not sure since he talks abouth his helmet. Seems to be more common bike.

6. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    I think that's overstating the case somewhat ...

Cal definitely gives the Street Twin a big thumbs up. Newchurch he pretty much slates as just an excuse for a higher price tag.

But his reviews of the Thruxton and many BMWs are far more positive than either.

7. Bonnie lad

Bonnie lad New Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Milton Keynes
    Hi Curly
    Was interested to hear your off to sunny Spain in July, its a destination I plan to visit on my T100, had an easy trip to Isle of Wight last year using a 42Ltr top box and tank bag for me and her indoors but realistically that's only room enough for three days despite not taking the kitchen sink, what luggage will you have for your trip? (for two?) Cheers.

8. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    I test rode the new Street Twin while searching for a bike to buy and to be honest while the motor and overall appearance of the bike were excellent my impression was the handling let it down. To be fair as it was a demonstrator I don't know if maybe the tyre pressures were a bit off or something but it never really inspired confidence in me. By comparison the earlier Bonnevilles I rode including the one I'm buying felt far more sure footed when cornering which is why I opted to buy the one I'm getting. Obviously the new Street Twin does have alot of advantages like ABS but if I was spending that kind of money I think I would have gone for something else like a Guzzi V7 or Bobber instead. I do hope though that the handling problem was just something on the bike I rode as I think that Triumph have done very well with the overall design of the Street Twin and it would be a real shame if they've marketed it with bargain basement suspension.

9. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    As I mentioned in your other thread I have a Bonnie SE (essentially the same bike as the Newchurch, dif colour scheme) and recently bought a Street Twin as a replacement. The SE/Newchurch is a cracking good bike which I love riding on the bendy country roads. But as well as all the modern accoutrements the ST is lighter, has much better fuel economy, better real-world ride-ability with it's low down torque, is more agile on the twisties, and has better fit and finish imo. Priced the same I'd go for the Street Twin as the better bike. But if you choose the Newchurch I doubt you'll be disappointed. Given it's an old model I'd be pushing the dealer for a huge discount on the Newchurch, or certainly a bunch of freebies.

I think the only thing that perhaps lets the ST down are the tyres which lose traction when well leaned over and hard throttled sharply out of turns from low revs. Or maybe that's just my poor riding skills trying to belt away from the wrong lane on roundabouts.

10. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Hi Bonnie lad,
    we are travelling extremely light for this trip which is for 1 week duration.
    After much deliberation and changes of mind we have settled for the following.
    Strapped to the rack will be Kriega bags, one 30 litre and one 20 litre dry bags, this leaves full room for the wife
    On the tank will be my ancient magnetic Heine Gericke capacious tank bag.
    That's it!
    I have looked into other options but luggage choices for the bike are rather limited and to be honest we've done the whole hard luggage top box and panniers thing several times before on the VFR, we are looking forwards to trip to see how it works out!

Curly

11. Bonnie lad

Bonnie lad New Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Milton Keynes
    Thanks Curly, hope you and your other half have a great trip, let us know how it went.

12. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Thanks, I'll try to remember to!
    Curly

13. Knopflerstyle

Knopflerstyle New Member

Apr 15, 2017
    CA
    Finally I have gone with the newchurch.

Basically... Because I like it. Thanks for your advices. I have readed all.

• Like Like x 4
  14. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    That's the best way. It's your bike so choose the best one for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I think it might be the tyres. My Street Twin has felt a little wobbly at the back full throttle from low speed out of tight turns. I think I'll be trying something different when I change them.

16. Sandyb

Sandyb New Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Carnoustie
    Great choice, but I'm biassed anyway, hope you have many happy miles on it, I certainly like my one

17. 45Brit2017

45Brit2017 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    UK
    I can only say that I tried the 2016 Street Twin AND the SE and for various reasons, not least that there was almost £3k in it as people offloaded older models with very low mileage, I bought a 2013 865cc T100 with about £1k worth of extras, FDSH and 2000 miles on the clock.

If I had the budget for a new Street Twin, I'd be looking at the current T100 which has the best features of both - Street engine and T120 style chassis, for not much different to the Street

• Like Like x 1
  18. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I have a new Street Twin and love it !! My 1st triumph.

IMG_0713.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  19. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    G
    Et a trailer ! I have two one is a canvas pop up camper and the other is a fully enclosed fibreglass job, camper 113 kg and fibreglass is 43 kg IMG_20180216_210005_032.JPG
    That's my wife and the fibreglass trailer on the bike 09 America, it's better on fuel with loaded trailer behind the bike than having empty saddle bags !! Less wind drag with trailer , I can get 110 kgs in it !!! Handling is better than having the loaded saddle bags on !!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Patchinko

Patchinko Senior Member

Feb 1, 2018
    S.W. Hants
    #20 Patchinko, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    I think in years to come the air cooled bikes will be more sought after and hold their value better than the newer, more tech laden water cooled bikes.

Possibly with the carbed bikes being the pick of them all.

The sound of the 360* motor was one of the things that really sold the new Bonnevilles to me. The fact that they sound just like the original Meriden bikes and looked very close to as well.

I regularly get old boys looking over my bike and getting all nostalgic and wanting to talk about the bikes they once had. I feel the same when I see old jap bikes from the 70's and 80's.
    The direction modern bikes are headed has very little appeal to me now.

I must be getting old!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2