Featured Newby From Yorkshire

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by PaulCas, Aug 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I can only endorse the above having gone down the same TTP Stage 1 route a couple of years back. The mid range hike does not so much make the bike faster as require much less throttle wringing to achieve it. It is maybe 15-20% torquier (sic!) where you want it and usually runs one gear higher on uphill inclines. It is simply more tractable and relaxing to ride. The emissions strangulation of fairly low mileage machines seems utterly pointless when I eke out 1 or 2 more mpg.
    Overrun popping: I found the standard idle jets needed about half a turn tweak to ease out a slightly lean condition.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. PaulCas

PaulCas Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2018
    West Yorks
    Did you also remove the airbox baffle plate?
    I have been advised by Mike at TTP to fit 135 main jets and 42 pilots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Baffle out. I run 40 pilot jets with 128 mains having removed the schnorkel and crafted a bellmouth building up layers of silicone. It worked so well I never bought a bellmouth! The exhausts are Feked Vickers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    You’ll have to have a ride over to holmfirth and see how it compares to my bonneville on Motad’s and injection? It’ll be interesting how they perform

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PaulCas

Aug 10, 2018
    West Yorks
    I'm up for this. Holmfirth is a lovely part of Yorkshire for a ride out.
    Let's keep a check on the weather and set something up.
    PM me with suggestions.
    Paul

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    In Greece at the mo. Will do next week or so. On another matter, I’m working in Leeds next week so subject to weather I might be biking it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. PaulCas

Aug 10, 2018
    West Yorks
    Piggin Royal Mail!!!
    Because of them, Ronnie is still in bits waiting for parts.
    I ordered some larger jets from TTP on Wed aft. Credit to TTP they were sent out by Royal Mail signed for and postie tried to deliver next day (Thursday) but unfortunately I missed him. He did not leave a card!
    So, yesterday (Friday) off I went to my local sorting office with all ID documents I could muster in an attempt to get my parcel.
    "Sorry sir, I cannot release it without a card, I will need to arrange redelivery, computer says I can't do it"
    I could not believe this, there I was stood looking at my parcel with proof of who I was but I could not take it. Instead they would put it back in the system for the postman to deliver it again! How stupid and inefficient is that?
    What is frustrating me most is the fact that I am missing some fine weather to get out for some decent test rides.
    Anyhow, that's my Saturday morning rant over. Hopefully postie will be here soon and I can get on with re-assembling the bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    However did we manage to survive without computers??:rolleyes::rolleyes::scream:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. PaulCas

Aug 10, 2018
    West Yorks
    Yeah, I said "surely there's some procedure where you can override this. When the person who lives at the address and is the recipient of the parcel is standing in front of you?"
    "Sorry, I can't release the parcel without a card"

Anyway, postie turned up with the goods and within an hour Ronnie was back together again and raring to go..
    [​IMG]
    We've been out for a blast and I'm really pleased with the way the bike goes (and sounds).

• Like Like x 3
  10. PaulCas

Aug 10, 2018
    West Yorks
    After a few recent rides I've managed to dial out the overrun popping. I finished up with 3 turns out on the mixture screws, this is with 42 pilot jets so I guess it's pulling quite a lot of air through now:yum
    Had a quick check of the carb balance and it's still spot on. He's running sweet as:)
    Next big job will be cam cover off and valve clearance check. Got a bit of oil seeping out through the gasket, so may as well do the service while the lid is off:(
    I've been doing a bit of winter prep this morning, fitted connector for the Optimate..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The connector sticks out discretely from under the seat....
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. PaulCas

Aug 10, 2018
    West Yorks
    Hello again fellow inmates.
    I'm looking for some opinions please regarding valve clearance adjustment.
    Today I set about replacing the cam cover gasket which has been leaking a bit since I got the bike.
    I thought I would check the valve clearances whilst I was in there.
    I found that one exhaust measurement was slightly over tolerance (measured 0.317mm)
    And three inlet valves were slightly over (the worst measured 0.23mm).
    Based on the research I have done, I believe that over tolerance is better than under.
    The bike has done 10,400 miles. Should I leave it alone?
    Paul

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Martin Joseph Lowe

Martin Joseph Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Merseyside
    Hi,
    Come to your post a bit late!
    I’ve moved North West to North Yorkshire..I have took delivery of my T120 Black this year and having so much fun on the roads here...see you at Whitby sometime !! Will keep an eye out for that great bike of yours..
    Cheers,
    Martin

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. PaulCas

Aug 10, 2018
    West Yorks
    Hi Martin
    I doubt the bike will be out much now before next April time. I'm one of those pappy fair weather riders:). Can't see the pleasure in freezing my gonads off and getting wet through.
    I may get a few local rides out to Squire's at Sherburn if we get some dry mild days over t'winter.
    I'm hoping to get up to Whitby sometime next year, Whistle Stop Café? I'll keep an eye out for a T120 Black.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Martin Joseph Lowe

Apr 1, 2018
    Merseyside
    Hi,
    Managed a quick loop of Stoeksly and Yarm today,but I’m with you..needs to be fair weather!
    May catch you in the new year then!
    M

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. PaulCas

Aug 10, 2018
    West Yorks
    Hello, I have a question for mods/admin.....
    Is there any chance the content of this thread can be changed to a 'project' thread?
    Or is there some way I could do it by starting a new project thread?
    I have a quite a few more modifications planned which I would like to add to this thread but it's not really a newbie thread any more.
    Paul

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bonne Phil

Bonne Phil Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Romford, East London
    Paul, A sweet bike that. made me re-think my order on the Diamond edition.

I'm up in your neck of the wood in June, though probably on my Trophy. I'll be camping near Robin Hood Bay. then riding over to the west coast on 21st June ish.

Bonnie Phil

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Martin Joseph Lowe

Apr 1, 2018
    Merseyside
    Mr Newbie ish..North West origin,here in North Yorkshire (and back and forth)..count me in!!
    M

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi Paul and welcome to the forum, enjoy your new ride

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. PaulCas

Aug 10, 2018
    West Yorks
    Been tinkering today trial fitting the latest fleabay purchases...
    I've been looking for a thruxton seat for a while, this was a bargain. The cowl will be going to Image Refinishers along with the side panels to be painted same colour as the tank.
    Rear mudguard removed and fitted tail tidy (new indicators on order).
    This is a TEC item and to be honest it was a pig to fit. I had to extend the mounting holes and trim the edges to make it sit straight.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  20. PaulCas

Aug 10, 2018
    West Yorks
    A few things have been happening recently while I'm waiting for my seat cowl and side panels to come back from the painters.
    the indicators turned up.....
    [​IMG]

I think they're not too different from the originals bur smaller and don't stick out as much. Problem was I had to get another pair for the front but this led to having to do the ignition switch relocation cos I couldn't get the key in due to the shorter indicator stalks.....
    [​IMG]

Now the handle bars...although I like the standard Bonneville bars they are just a bit high for my liking and I prefer the Thruxton ones. So the bay of E came up with the goods again......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought I was going to encounter some problems with the throttle and clutch cables but after a bit of faffing about I managed to sort them out OK.
    I knew there would be issues with the bars hitting the tank on full lock so after a bit of thought I came up with this....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drilled and tapped the lock stop 6mm thread and used a button head screw.
    I may replace these with some black grub screws so they are a bit more discrete but this is the result....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's now well clear of the tank on full lock.
    It's a bit more of a faff shuffling the bike around with restricted steering lock but I can live with that.

That's it for now, my noisy Hagon shocks have gone back for testing so the bike is back on the TEC shocks which it came with.

• Like Like x 6