Newbie With A Broken Speed Four

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by S.ridgett, Mar 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. S.ridgett

S.ridgett New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    France
    Hi everyone newbie Sam here from France. I'm wondering if I can pick your brains. A couple of months ago I bought a 2003 speed four with electrical problems.

It turns out that plug number 1 had pretty much melted, the stator was burnt out and the regulator burnt too.

So I replaced all of this as well as took the head off to clean out the burnt pieces of spark plug which amazingly didn't damage the bors. Once I put it all back together it fired up but i'm getting tapping from the top end and the engine light on! I'miss wondering if I didn't set the engine timing spot on of if it's just the value clearance?

Any advice is much appreciated

Cheers

Sam

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Sam

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.ridgett

S.ridgett New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    France
    Thank you David. Looks good on here much better than some of the triumph Facebook groups I've seen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome. Unfortunately I can't help you, but someone will be along soon. There's a lot of knowledgeable peeps about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. S.ridgett

S.ridgett New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    France
    Hi there andoesn't thank you. I hope so as i'm pretty stuck at the moment lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Use a screw driver to locate the point where tap is by using a long bladed screwdriver and placing handle end against the little flap in front of your ear hole, the blade end can be moved to source tap: it works like a stethoscope.

Or check timing again and do a valve check!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Probably best to do the basic checks such as valve clearances etc..
    Then you know where you are going. TBH if you had the head off that would be a good time to check stuff !
    Is the cam chain tensioner working correctly - the chain can be quite noisy if not adjusted .

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    S.Ridgett
    Yes do check that valve timing as soon as you can. Or it may be a valve that needs to be reshimed. Also make sure your cam tensioner blade is taking is taking up the slack properly. Usually when I do this I turn the engine anti clockwise a few times and use a thin screwdriver just to make sure the tensioner is working properly and is taught. Or it just might need settling down. But check first as the last thing you want is a valve going through a piston. Keep us all in the know.
    Ride Safe
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Hello and welcome, as already said check clearances and cam-chain, as you have already taken the head off double check to see if you missed something when replacing and reassembly, but i think i would want to find out just why a spark plug melted before riding.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. S.ridgett

S.ridgett New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    France
    Think that's probably what i'll do mate. I don't think it is the cam chain tensioner as the noise sounds like it comes from the other side of the engine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.ridgett

S.ridgett New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    France
    Hi mate, Do you have any idea how you set the valve timing on a speed four? As I can't find any timing marks on the engine? But I can't wait to have a go on it! It's my 1st triumph haha.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. S.ridgett

S.ridgett New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    France
    Hi mate, Do you have any idea how you set the valve timing on a speed four? As I can't find any timing marks on the engine? But I can't wait to have a go on it! It's my 1st triumph haha.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. S.ridgett

S.ridgett New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    France
    Hi mate cheers for the welcome. Well I was wondering if there way to read the engine codes. But i'm not good with tech lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome aboard Sam. There are plenty of knowledgeable spanner turners on here so hopefully you'll get some good pointers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Sam and welcome to the forum :)

Good luck sorting out your problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Not 100% but i have been told that they use a std OBD connector so will use std OBD protocols and error codes so most car type readers will report, just try a cheap eBay job, failing that your looking at a Triumph dealer or buying something like tune ECU.

• Agree Agree x 1