Newbie Speed Twin

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by BingNoSing, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome, enjoy the new bike. I don’t get mine until mid April, so any ride information would be really useful.
    Wessa

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. foxy52

foxy52 Active Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Derbyshire
    Hi mate & Welcome. The only problem I'd have with this bike is which colour to choose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Black and silver all day....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Harvey

Harvey New Member

May 18, 2017
    Rayleigh UK
    That's what I went for but they all look good and it was a really hard choice. Dealer says this is the most popular choice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    #25 Wessa, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    It is funny cause I thought the red would be the most popular. I went for black and silver as I think it is really classy..... but your right that they are all great looking bikes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Good morning and welcome in. That is a really great looking ride! Enjoy and remember to always be safe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. foxy52

foxy52 Active Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Derbyshire
    One thing I've been wondering if you wanted tank pads - how they would they "fit in" with the stripes. Would the standard one's cover completely - or do they have different shaped one's for this model?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Bing and welcome to the forum :)

Enjoy your new ride, the red does look very nice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BingNoSing

BingNoSing Member

Mar 8, 2019
    North Devon
    No tank pads I reckon. Cross over the paint job

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Agreed. Paid the extra cash for the paint job, don't want to cover it with pads....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Stue007

Stue007 Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Germany
    Killer bike - welcome!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jay ryder

Jay ryder Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Australia
    Hi Bing and welcome. Great choice, and the colour is the same as mine. For reasons that are not clear, down here in Australia we got the Speed Twin before anyone else, and I got mine at the start of Feb and now have 2000km on it. I'm loving it. There is a growing community on FB that you might want to check-out, and everyone who owns one of these new bikes has nothing but great things to say about them. Happy riding!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Harvey

Harvey New Member

May 18, 2017
    Rayleigh UK

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Harvey

Harvey New Member

May 18, 2017
    Rayleigh UK
    #34 Harvey, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Good morning. Perhaps you got them first as they are assembled in Thailand. How are you finding it over longer distances?.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jay ryder

Jay ryder Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Australia
    Surprisingly comfortable Harvey. I'm 5' 11" and a reasonably old bloke, and the only minor issue I am having is a little ache in my right wrist. The riding position is slightly leaning forward, and I am going to try a set of bar risers to see if I can make the position just a little more upright. But the seat is good, the sound of the exhaust with standard silencers is throaty, and the responsiveness of the engine is exhilerating. It's very nimble, and really easy to change direction in the bends, and the tyres are confidence inspiring. I am absolutely delighted. I went on a 5hr ride last week, with just a couple of brief stops, and was in no discomfort at all when I got home. I really think it's a great machine.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. BingNoSing

BingNoSing Member

Mar 8, 2019
    North Devon
    Oh, that’s really good to hear! I will look out for the FB group. The weather here has been appalling for riding so I haven’t had it out much yet. Glad you are loving it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jay ryder

Jay ryder Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Australia
    Bing have a look at Triumph Speed Twin Owners and Triumph Speed Twin 1200 on FB. They are small, but (unsurprisingly) growing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Robert Castledine

Robert Castledine New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    Hi, very nice bike and i'm thinking of getting one if my Norton Nomad 650 doesn't come off. I test drove the speedy 1200 last week, the only things I thought needed improvement were the side stand needs a longer kick arm as it's tucked up under the silencer, a more plush seat as it was a little to plackey and the digital read outs on the clocks were too small. I did find when you cane it the fuel consumption went down PDQ 67 miles went down to 28 miles on the tank range within 10 miles of setting off.
    Still not as quick as my old RS Sprint 955i and I get 55 mpg what ever speed I do. Enjoy your ride I might be joining you at some stage.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Harvey

Harvey New Member

May 18, 2017
    Rayleigh UK
    Thanks I am 6 foot myself and fast approaching 60 so good to know. Stopping for fuel every 100 miles will be good for rider and machine by the sound of things. Great forum when I can get help from the other side of the world.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1