Newbie needs help deciding

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by phildrew, Jul 6, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. phildrew

phildrew New Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi All,
    Complete newbie here. Haven't even passed my Mod2 yet (tried and failed on Friday). Am trying to figure out what to buy but can't decide. My bike needs to be good at four things (in no particular order):
    1) looking good
    2) commuting in London
    3) travelling from London to Dorset and back (116 miles each way) every fortnight
    4) being easy for a newbie
    Now, I know you'll agree there's a Triumph for me, but which one? With regards to looks, I love the Bonnie and America. Bonnie and tiger 800 would presumably be good within London? Then both Tiger and America will be good for getting to Dorset on motorways and 'a' roads. But seems none of them will do all three brilliantly - am I right?
    Nothing wrong with the looks of the Tiger of course - I just prefer the classic looks.
    Now, I went to a classic dealer yesterday and he had some old Thunderbirds from the nineties I think. These looked like big old Bonnies (not the new cruiser Thunderbirds). I was wondering if these might be the solution? Can anyone tell me about them? Think they were 900s. Fairly expensive second hand. (about 5-6 k).
    Further information :
    I'm fairly heavy (100kg or 15.5 stone), fairly tall (6ft 1in) with long legs and short arms (relatively speaking!). I've no great need to hoon it along burning Iraq's annual oil output, but don't want to sit in traffic either!
    I guess for the America you could interchange with speedmaster - not sure what the difference is.
    Anyway I bet you guys can help me here - what should I choose (including anything I haven't mentioned)? I will of course test ride them all if possible but appart from that...
    Thanks very much - can't wait to get my Triumph!
    P

2. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Yo and welcome, we just did Belgium and back in a weekend, both arrived back with sore bums and aching knees from Bonnie SE riding position. Longer trips America/speedmaster possibly more comfortable and relaxed position for your size? I dont know difference either heh heh but would think easier for sitting in traffic also. Older Tbirds good style for me and comfortable but have not ridden one far. Others will be along soon with their experience etc, good hunting, I have never had modern Tiger.Triples etc :upyeah:

3. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi and welcome to the forum and good luck with your test. Difficult decision on the bike, many buy their first machine with their heart and not head. Just bear in mind no dealer will give a newly qualified rider a test ride :frown: so you almost have to take the decision by just sitting on machines and doing research. Just beware what appears comfortable for 5 minutes can literally be a pain in the arse after a couple of hours of riding.

What commutes well in London through tight traffic (smaller capacity bikes like Boniville, or Street Triple) will not be so good on longer runs and motorways.

Older classic bikes may look good but will they be reliable if commuting and just bear in mind all the bikes with the highly polished chrome and stainless take some keeping clean and get tarnished rapidly when used daily in all weathers.

In my opinion for your size you will find the Boniville and Street Triple a bit small. Can not comment on the cruisers but they are as described..... cruisers.

My top choice in the Triumph range that would do everything you ask, be comfortable, have some wind protection and hold it's own on longer runs would be the road version of the Tiger 800, its perhaps not the best looking bike (yes I do own it's taller XC brother) but it's tough, reliable, can carry luggage and most importantly fun to ride.

4. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #4 folkbloke, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    Welcome to the forum.

The America will do what you want. I do 300 miles a week on one. That's two return trips to Essex of 150 miles. Handles the motorways very well and is OK in town. I do mostly motorway with a considerable amount of filtering at the Dartford crossing and have just come back from 2500 miles in Switzerland and France. A brilliant bike. My concern is that you might find it too cramped and the seat is not to everyone's liking.

As Richard says the Tiger 800 is an excellent machine (I've had one as a loaner a couple of times) although it's a big bike for your first ride (then again you're probably the right size for it). Although I applaud your desire to go with Triumph don't restrict yourself to just one make. Have a look at what other manufacturers offer as well and maybe get something cheaper to get used to riding.

The old Thunderbirds are also very good but they tend to hold their value well and you'll be able to pick up a cheaper, newer Bonnie or even a Tiger 800. The Bonnie is more than capable of dealing with motorways btw but you'd need to see if it was the right size for you.

Doing that many motorway miles I'd suggest a bike with a screen (either aftermarket or standard equipment). If you're riding in the winter then I'd also go for heated grips.

Good luck with the test and keep us updated with the bike search :smile:

p.s. Sit on as many bikes as you can!

Edit: Another thought after reading Richard's comments again is that if you're using the bike every day it will suffer cosmetically and the America in my experience is particularly bad. Cover it in ACF50 before you hit the autumn. It may also influence your decision whether you want to spend a lot of money on a newer bike only to see it deteriorate (or perhaps you're someone who loves cleaning bikes!)

5. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum, I have a speedmaster and just got back from a run to North Yorkshire ,motorway most of the way and it loved it comfortable and easy to ride not to bad on the fuel 168 mile till I hit the reserve fully loaded and two up ,I have upgraded the front sprocket to 19 tooth but a good choice get a test ride from a stealership when you pass your test and have a try, hope this helps :upyeah:

6. phildrew

phildrew New Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi everyone, and thanks for the advice so far. I'm still far from decided. If I go for the older thunderbirds (I've seen up to 2002 production year max) would it be difficult maintaining it, eg finding parts etc, or will all the bits still be readily available/standard? Given my need to get comfortable with both city nipping and long-hauls, I wonder: Could I go to a dealer and agree to buy a bike on the condition they guarantee to buy it back from me within a month for £x less if I don't get on with it (all assuming I don't drop it or put more than x miles on the clock in the meantime)? Do the Triumph dealers tend to be that flexible/helpful?

7. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum,
    I only passed my test at the beginning of May and bought a 2004 Bonneville 2 days later as the bike I always wanted. So, with regard to point 4 on your list, I can answer that the Bonnie does make an easy first "big bike" for a newbie. Smooth power delivery, lots of torque, quite forgiving and narrower than it first looks!
    Have done 1100 miles on it now including B-road, Motorway and town riding. Just did Oxford to Winchester this morning, about 60 miles, and could have gone twice as far no problem so your Dorset trip would be fine. It's no sports bike, but it easily keeps up with or outpaces most traffic if you want it to.
    The bikes covered 29000 miles now with no reliability issues (I know the previous owner) but there is a lot of chrome so it will need caring for if used daily.
    Have to agree with Richard H though that it might feel a bit on the small side for your height. I'm 5' 11" and about 12.5 stone so it's spot on for me.

You will also need to fit a screen of some sort - even a small flyscreen will make all the difference, otherwise you will get tired arms very quickly at M way speeds.

Just go sit on a few! Good luck with the test.

Steve

8. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Hi Phil and welcome to the forum.

With regards to the Thunderbird they are nice bikes but as the are they early spine frame bikes they are also heavy and have no screen.

The earlier models also only had a five speed gearbox so are a bit limited.

Try a Trident Sprint they are a good all round bike and you can pick them up for very little even for a good low mileage one.

Cheers

Steve

9. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #9 folkbloke, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    Co-incidentally my bike is over at the dealers for a bit of work and I've been speaking with the owner and he says they'll give you a test ride when you pass your test (as long as you're over 24). He also said he'll always buy a bike back. They're in Hastings and I recommend them. Speak to Trevor Gedge at Gedges in Hastings (say Dick Langford sent you and mention the Triumph forum!). Their number is 01424 423520

• Like Like x 1
  10. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    you cant go far wrong with a 955i Tiger as long as its sorted or a 1050 Tiger...commutable...two up-able and comfy enough for the taller chap :)

11. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
  12. Bobby

Bobby Member

Jun 14, 2014
    Salisbury, Wiltshire
    Street triple is an option, great looking, would do well on commuting, seem reasonably bullet proof.
    To be fair also, I'm a new rider and bought a daytona 650, I'm using that to commute to work at the moment (120 miles all round journey) every couple of days, and my bike is doing great and I find it reasonably comfortable (with the exceptions of my wrists getting a little sore until I found the correct riding position lol)
    As everyone else has mentioned though, what works for other people may not necessarily work for you etc
    Best bet is to go to a bike hop and see what's comfortable for you. Good luck mate and get that test smashed :)

13. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    The only thing I can say is with the bonneville America and speed master I find that as I'm a back ache sufferer they are extremely crippling after 10 minutes in the seat as it's a bit of an unatural position to have your feet forward and your body catches all the wind head on. The standard bonneville is a much more forgiving position and a really good all round bike if you like traditional looks. Eric

14. phildrew

phildrew New Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Thank you all for your suggestions and good wishes for the test. At the moment I'm leaning towards just getting a Bonnie, hoping for the best and consider everything after a year or so. Just have to pass that test...

15. Check out my comments on my Bonneville test ride - I'm 6' 1", long arms and legs and approaching 100kg (but in denial!)
    Admittedly my ride was only an hour or so (town, local B roads and dual carriageway) but I found nothing to indicate it might prove uncomfortable over a longer time (and I too suffer back problems!)
    bb

16. phildrew

phildrew New Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Hurray! Well I passed on Friday. Shame Saturday had such bizarre weather which made me think I wouldn't dash out and test ride/immediately drop everything I could get my hands on. But I'll let you know what I get in the end. Thanks everyone!
    P

• Like Like x 2
  17. phildrew

phildrew New Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi Everyone!
    Thanks so much for all the advice - I went for a 2001 Bonnie in the end, and I've had some fun on it so far. I have a potential starting problem though - I've put it in a new thread - please have a look for me:

http://thetriumphforum.co.uk/forum/f2/new-bonnie-starting-problems-2375/

Here's a pic. How do I set this as my profile picture? Doesn't seem obvious...
    bike.jpg

bike.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Looks good Phil :upyeah:

If I get a chance tonight I will try and write something out to about setting up an Avatar (which is in your profile page)

Cheers

Steve

19. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Nice bike Phil,
    My 2004 looked exactly the same when I got it - winter screen and Renntec tail rack.
    Swapped the big screen for a Dart Flyscreen and added fork gaiters for a better period look.
    Hope you can sort out the starting problem, may just need a bit of TLC.
    Cheers
    Steve

20. percymama

percymama Member

Jul 23, 2014
    #20 percymama, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    Nice choice :cool: