Newbie Looking For Advice

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Carl Williams, Mar 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Carl Williams

Carl Williams Oooh, something shiny

Mar 25, 2019
    Exeter, Devon, UK
    Hi all

I'm getting back in to biking after a break of a couple of years and I have a 2011 Speed Triple in my sites as my route back to biking. The one I'm looking at is a lovely looking bike with full dealer service history and a couple of tasteful mods but it does have pretty high mileage at around 36,000 miles. Basically I'm looking for advice on whether the mileage is something to worry about and what I should be looking for when having a good look over the bike?

Looking forward to getting involved in the forum and hopefully being of some help where I can

Thanks

Carl

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Hi Carl, welcome. If serviced regularly an engine should be fine with 36k miles. Things that may wear are chassis bearings; suspension, wheel bearings steering head etc. so well worth getting these checked and also the service history, check the valve clearances have been checked at some point less than 12-16 k miles ago if poss. Maybe get an independent inspection done if you are not confident to check the bike or see if anyone on here is local and willing. Its not a massive mileage so hopefully will be good. Starting and test riding the bike will hopefully give you a good idea if it seems like a new ish sound and feel or if its rattly and loose. If you buy from a reputable dealer you should have a warranty which helps you to be relaxed over the purchase. Good luck ! Keep us posted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Do you do any maintance jobs yourself? As above she will be due lots of bits and bobs.
    If your service history is current, then your good.
    It's not the mileage, more, the jobs that arise. Higher usage should indicate that hoses and brake lines will need changed.
    Google the service sheets for your bike and compare this with the receipts from the dealer.
    Hub service ,bearing check, coolant ,brake fluid,etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Troy92

Troy92 Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Leicester
    What’s the price of the bike? What are the others like on the market around the similarities?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Carl Williams

Mar 25, 2019
    Exeter, Devon, UK
    Got the bike for £3,400 in the end and the service is going to cost me £400 so all in all I think I'm happy with the deal. Picked it up last Saturday, enjoyed a couple of rides on it then it started raining so everything's on hold for a few days. There are a pair of Rizoma flat bars on there at the moment but I've got the original bars so I'm going to swap them back this weekend.

I have to admit though I'm enjoying every second of owning the bike although I can't stop looking for carbon bits at the moment so this might prove an expensive hobby:)

Here's some pics!

Bike 1.jpg Bike 2.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  7. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    #7 Bryan3R, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    lot of white on it, I changed to a carbon front mudguard on my white 2012 R. would look better with a black or carbon hugger.
    Was the belly pan rolled in a pile of stickers!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Carl Williams

Mar 25, 2019
    Exeter, Devon, UK
    Yes, the stickers are something that needs to change. I don't mind the Triumph logo but the rest are definately going. At the moment I'm thinking about changing the front mudguard, hugger and batter cover to carbon versions although that's might have to wait until I have a few more pennies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Well nice :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    You’ll soon turn that into a really nice bike, that looks really good for the money. Better than wasting your hard earned on a pcp

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Welcome in Carl, you're going to enjoy that bike. :yum
    Be warned, when you remove those stickers (I would too) you might find they're hiding a bunch of stone chips, the belly pan tends to get attacked by debris off the front tyre. My bike's black so wouldn't show, but wife has a white StreetTriple and the chips show up. Shouldn't cost much to get them resprayed in any case.... or hit the carbon parts list. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Carl Williams.
    Forget stickers and carbon and lines. Get on the thing and ride it make sure its right for you. And worry about all that stuff later on.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    Pic of mine with carbon mudguard, I felt all the white was too much. Considering Carbon belly pan too.
    [​IMG]Untitled by Bryan Haynes, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3