Newbie In Mid-bike Change!

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Dudis, Jun 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dudis

Dudis New Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Warwickshire
    Hi, I have just joined the Forum. I have had a Speed Triple '94' for the last four years and a Sprint for about five years before that. I am looking to change to something more 'relaxed' which is better two up and with better luggage capability. I would also like it to be reasonably low as I would also like my wife to ride it (from time to time!!) So ... Bonneville T120 is favourite... But I have not discounted a Tiger 800 XRX Low. There are a couple of 'issues'/'worries' that I have with both and would like some help and advice to help me choose! I am worried about the finish on certain areas of the T120 ie... Chrome on rims and spokes, and the brushed aluminium engine cases, I have also heard about water getting in the clocks? I have seen some bikes with very rusty spokes and pitted rims and cases... Has the chrome got better on later bikes? On the Tiger I experienced a lot of wind buffeting at about 65MPH up! Any advice greatly appreciated......

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Welcome Dudis, I’m sure there’ll be lots of owners along soon giving you their opinions and advice.
    Good luck with the search for the right steed :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Dudis and welcome in :cool::cool: sounds like you're crying out for a Thunderbird 1600/1700 ;);)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Dudis.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Dudis and welcome to the forum :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Dudis and welcome to the forum :cool: Recommend a TBird for pillion and luggage, but pays to test ride as a couple and individuals too be sure. Best of luck on getting agreement and your ride

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi Mate & Welcome to the Forum :cool: I think the buffering on the Tiger may be due to the screen, I am tall & had similar issues when I test rode one, I think you can get adjustable screen as an option?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    I've had my Tiger XRX for over three years now and cannot fault it as an all round practical bike.
    The only issue is the one you identify - wind buffeting and noise due to the poorly designed screen, which deflects all the wind straight at your head. The new (2018) Tigers have a better screen but I fitted a Madstad screen (get one second hand from ebay), which transformed the bike - you can ride along at 70 - 80 with the visor up no problem. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dudis.
    Welcome to the family. As for models go along a test a few you will know when you have found the right one. And do have a good test not just a spin up the road. and forget about seats and things you will probably change anyway. Do keep us in the loop as we are nosy.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Dudis and welcome in to the Triumph Asylum - Nursie will be along soon with your 'meds'.

Re your question, there are quality issues with the finish on the T120, but I suspect no more than on a large amount of bikes produced nowadays. Unfortunately cost-cutting across the board as well as increased pricing, seems to be the order of the day.

The Tiger XRX is a VERY competent motorcycle, however like so many of these "adventure" style bikes, the screen is placed so far in front of the rider it doesn't create a bubble of calm air to envelop the rider. I found it was really difficult to find a solution which would give adequate protection without air turbulence.

I used used a Madstad screen (as mentioned by Steve) on my Tiger 955i which helped a bit, but the best thing for me was to remove the screen completely. Yes you get slightly more wind pressure on your chest, but absolutely NO buffeting at all.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Dudis

Dudis New Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Warwickshire
    Hi, thanks for the welcome everyone, and also for the advice... I have test ridden the T120, as has the wife and we both liked it. I have ridden the Tiger and liked that too except for the buffeting which is probably the worst I've experienced! maybe a change of screen would be the answer! The wife has not tried the Tiger as there at no 'Lows' available for test! The bike I get will be used for rallies and summer fun mostly but as I plan to retire soon it might get crated up and send stateside (or wherever) occasionally.... Hence the Tiger being in the frame! I still favour the T120 but the thought of rusty spokes doe's not impress me much... I am going to test ride both again and do a little more digging... I will post the question in the Bonneville section and see what some owners have to say! ... Thanks again....

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dudis

Dudis New Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Warwickshire
    I have made the decision and bought a 2018 Tiger 800 XRT Very pleased and looking forward to some long journeys! will post some pic's after I have collected it next week!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Welcome to a terrific forum, Dudis! Joe is right, we are nosy. ;) But only in the most caring way. :blush: Good luck with your bike purchase decision. I'm with others on this thread. Test ride!!

• Like Like x 1