Newbie Here........

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by MarcoB, Jun 22, 2019.

1. MarcoB

MarcoB Member

Jun 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Hello everyone,

New to the forum and in the market for a Triumph Bonneville. I always loved these bikes (never owned one) but have the opportunity to look at a 1970 next week. I appreciate originality, numbers matching and correctness.
    What do I look for in this particular model/year ? Where are the frame and engine #'s stamped ? Weaknesses and any other things to watch for. Its been sitting for 40 years in a barn ........what is a fair price ?

So far all I know is that a 1970 still has an oil tank which is preferred to the oil in frame style. The gentleman I spoke with mentioned a hexagon down tube ??

Thank you in advance.

Marco

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Welcome Marco, that sounds like a nice find. Hope it’s a worthwhile buy and you can resurrect her back to life. :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Marco, and welcome in :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Good morning Marco and welcome in. That sounds like a great find. Good luck with her and enjoy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    MarcoB
    The frame number is usually on the right side ( clutch) on the down tube. The engine number same side just under the barrels. Should be embossed with the triumph logo so buyers know its not been restamped. But the stamps never were all that clever so don't let that put you of. Its a great bike at the right price. Don't get taken in by fairy stories. Look a few up and get a feel for the value.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Marco and welcome to the forum :cool: all the best for your Bonneville purchase

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Marco.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi & Welcome to the Forum Marco :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MarcoB

MarcoB Member

Jun 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Thanks to all for the warm welcome. Any recommendations what to look for in regards to weaknesses on this particular model ? If I read the charts correctly the second letter of the serial number should be a "D" for 1970 , correct ?
    The seller mentioned a hexagonal down tube? Any good books on these machines?

Thank you,
    Marco

11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    MarcoB
    Not sure what you mean by a hexagon down tube. Ask him for a picture or two. It will need work and a fair bit of toil. Depending on how it was stored. Hopefully the carbs were drained if not will need a complete strip clean and refit. Rubbers may be perished likewise fork seals and hoses. As I say depending on the storage. If conisation was present you will probably find there is rust in the gearbox. Really its hard to give you a good explanation of the problems without seeing the bike. It really depend on how much you are getting the bike for and how much you want to spend on it. Really you need to get as many photos as possible and post them. Things again like brakes will be seized in all likely hood. The reservoirs will have to be stripped and rebuilt. If the bike has just stood then you may find the pistons are seized in the barrels and could have rust on the liners. It really is hard to try to help you without see the bike and knowing more history about it. But in the end if its what you want go for it. Yes to be worth anything it really needs to be matching numbers.
    Regards.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MarcoB

MarcoB Member

Jun 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I was able to look at the bike today and it does not have a hexagon down tube, it just "forks' out into two tubes that cradle the engine. Engine turns over and appears to have good compression, it moves thru all the gears and the brakes work. It was stored with fuel oil in the gas tank to prevent rust but has a little rust on the wheels. The numbers match but the frame number is on the right side and the engine number on the left side.......Carbs were removed (AMAL's) for a rebuild. 3600 miles on the odometer. It appears to be all original (just comparing to photos on line) except for the handle bar which is higher and narrower type ( the seller called it "hippie style). So.......where do I get an original or "original" style handle bar ? Can anyone suggest reputable suppliers for parts?
    BTW I purchased it.....

Marco

• Like Like x 2
  13. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Congrats on your purchase Marco, I’m sure you’ll find plenty of help on here with your recommission.
    Post up some pics when you get her home :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  14. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Marco and welcome to the forum :)

Congratulations on buying the new bike :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    MarcoB.
    seems you have a little gem there. The previous owner seems to have looked after it well. Bars you can get there as quick as here in blighty. Places like your motorcycle superstore and you have so many classic British dealers. Keep the wheel rims if they are original with the stamps on them as you won't find them again. Before you do anything flush out all the oils and refresh. Drop a half capful down each plug hole just to ease things out or plus gas. Getting quite exiting now and want to watch the rebirth. If you feel like the challenge put it on the rebuilds section and let us follow you on your quest. You are now entering into the world of rebuilds and restorations. You will love or hate it. But it's rewarding. Let us all know because you will experience all moods with your machine. Hair pulling when it won't behave painful face grin when it talks to you but its worth every bit of pain. And in the end you can stand back and say I did this and its mine. Remember we are all behind you here and no question is silly or not worth asking.
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. MarcoB

MarcoB Member

Jun 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Thank you Joe, hope you're right . I was able to spend a few minutes in the garage and noticed that both wheels and tires are Dunlops. Wheels have a little rust and the tires are dry rotted but hold air ! As far as moods I'm familiar with the all "swings" (in quick and intense intervals) and the Prince of Darkeness attacks : I own an OTS E-Type and have gone thru all of those hi and lows that , at times, being in the house with both daughters and wife felt relaxing in comparison......
    Interesting find : original tool kit and pouch (I believe) .
    1st up/3 down ?
    More to come.
    Marco

file1-39.jpeg

file2-23.jpeg

file3-18.jpeg

file4-14.jpeg

file5-11.jpeg

file6-8.jpeg

file7-6.jpeg

file8-4.jpeg

file9-4.jpeg

file-72.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  19. MarcoB

MarcoB Member

Jun 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Finally some news to share: its alive !
    Tickled the carbs, kicked it once and heard fire but.........it took 20 more minutes of kicking to keep her running. Had oil flow back to the tank, then started smoking from the heads which turned out to be lose rocker box covers (all four) Idle was tough to adjust but I believe its good now. Took it around the block a few times.
    Been 40+ years and it felt like the very first time on my 50cc Benelli ! Who says you can't back in time ?
    Would like to upload a video with sound but it appears I can't.
    Thanks for the support.
    Marco

• Like Like x 3