Featured New Year. New Ride. New Outlook.

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Sandi T, Jan 3, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    i went out with a 'Norton' once. She was a fabulous...lady. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Thats one sexy new bike, best looking Harley I have seen in a long time.
    Very positive and uplifting start to the year

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Oh alright. I had to ask her, I really didn’t know. o_O I make no claims for how much sense this makes.

The headlights on the 2008 model Street Triple are round, some may even say ‘owl-like’. We live near Sheffield. Sheffield has two football clubs. One has a nickname of ‘The Owls’. The club is called Sheffield Wednesday…

i bet you’re glad you asked.

Could be worse. My last girlfriend called it ‘Hooty McOwlface’.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for the congrats, @Yorkshireman. :) Yes, that Rocket 3 is tempting and I do find myself drawn to it when I'm at the dealership sort of like I've been with the Fat Boy. But if I'd traded for a Rocket I'd have exchanged one "zoom zoom" bike for another--or at least that's my perception of the Rocket. I mean, with a name like "Rocket"...

I do agree that if I named my bikes the Speed Triple would need a male name. Not quite sure why I feel that way but I'd never thought about your reasoning. Hmmm, makes sense to me. ;):joy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I did start to notice that my bike (or my iPhone) is a bit right-handed, @DCS900! :joy: And when I went back to look at all the photos I've taken of the new Fat Boy so far, only ONE was of the left side. :eek: And it's not a very good photo at that. That said, here is proof that my new bike does indeed have a left side. ;)

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 7.45.05 AM.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    Thank goodness for that… otherwise you could only ride a circular route! :p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Congratulations Sandi, I'm sure you will love the Fatboy, it has to be the best looking cruiser around, plus it's a fantastic engine!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Dougie! I appreciate the congrats. And I agree about how good-looking the Fat Boy is as well as how fab the M8114 engine is. This is the 4th bike I've had with that engine and I'm a big fan. Back when it first came out in the touring line, I really didn't want to like it and I continued to hold fast to the previous Twin Cam. Now I'd be hard-pressed to go back. Say, did you used to have a Fat Boy? I know that someone on the forum did and for some reason I keep thinking it was you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Yes i sold the Fatboy last year and i was going to get a newer one but then i saw a deal on the Rocket and couldn't resist. i got my first Harley when i turned 40, a Super glide sport with a big bore engine & high lift cams which got me hooked, i kept it for several years then changed it for the Night Rod SP again kept it for several years before changing it for the Fatboy. i can see me getting another Fatboy in the future.. but I'm loving the bikes i have, so it would be a tough decision to get rid of one of them

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

I do miss having a Harley. That day is coming.

Congrats on the new edition.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    #33 Dartplayer, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Congratulations Sandi, Fat Boys are my favourite HD, and I have heard great things about the 114ci.:heart_eyes:
    Happy New Year and many safe and scenic rides :cool:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I thought that was you that had the Fat Boy I've seen photos of on the forum, Dougie! ;):joy: I'm glad to know my memory isn't totally shot. :p What year was your Fat Boy? I have to say that I don't blame you for opting for the Rocket. That is an amazing bike! And it's clear you love it and ride the heck out of it. Super Glides were such cool, iconic bikes. And even better with a performance mod or two. :blush: My two intros to Harleys were Mr. Sandi's 2001 Fat Boy and our good friend, Kelly's, Super Glide (I'm not sure what year it was but I think around 2010 or 2011). My first Harley--and bike--was a 2010 Street Bob and I've been a big Dyna fan ever since. I never have ridden a V-Rod but have always been curious what they'd be like to ride. What did you think of the Night Rod SP??

Yeah, it is tough to make a change to a different bike when you love the bikes you currently own. For awhile now I've said of my bikes--"OK, I'm good now. I don't want a different bike". Mr. Sandi just laughs. :rolleyes: And then something new comes home with me. I've never disliked any of the bikes I've traded. Quite the contrary. But that doesn't mean I don't like the new addition even better. I rationalize my trades by claiming that I was a newbie to motorcycles not too long ago so I'm still refining my likes and tastes. ;):joy:

P.S. I think you should get another Fat Boy, Dougie. :kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Big Congratulations on the new bike Sandi. It looks great and what a wonderful New Years present for yourself. I hope you enjoy many happy miles and smiles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thought I'd share a few photos of the inspirational "original" Fat Boy that was in our household. Here are a few photos of Mr. Sandi's 2001 Fat Boy from ten years ago or so. I've lots of fond memories of riding pillion with him back when we first started dating. :):heart:

These were at a Christmas Toy Run.
    IMG_3360 2.JPG

IMG_1892.JPG

At home... at this point this was to become Mr. Sandi's home. ;):kissing_heart:
    IMG_0002.JPG

This was in 2013 west of Las Vegas in Red Rock Canyon State Park.
    IMG_1843.JPG

He really liked this Fat Boy but wound up selling it to a friend not too long after this photo was taken. He replaced it with a 2013 Road King Classic which was better suited to the touring that we were starting to do together. Now he wishes he still had it. Recently (since I got my Fat Boy) he has talked about getting another Fat Boy from that 2000 or so time frame and doing it as a "project bike" with a friend of ours who loves projects.

• Like Like x 7
    • Love You Love You x 1
  18. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi @Sandi T after riding cruisers with large farings, how do you find the naked cruising?
    I understand you have the Speed triple and used to ride a Truxton, but the stance is quite different.
    Love that ride :heart_eyes: I need to go test ride a 114, just to experience the difference

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Good question, @Dartplayer. I've only ridden the Fat Boy about 130 miles so time will tell. But so far I really enjoy "naked cruising" as you put it (I'm assuming you mean sans fairing or windshield and not, um, clothing) :joy:

Although I anticipate riding the Fat Boy "naked" most all of the time, I'm contemplating getting a small-ish quick release windshield at some point, something I could pop on and off so I have an option. But for longer or really windy rides I'll typically probably opt to ride my Street Glide. My Softail Low Rider S was completely naked, too, (the little fly screen was primarily for style as far as I'm concerned) so I got pretty used to being on a Harley that didn't have wind protection. And these days I exclusively ride in a full-face helmet so that helps.

The 114 engine certainly is very capable and has a ton of get-up-and-go, especially in terms of torque. I highly recommend that you do go test ride the M8. And I'd love to get your thoughts and opinion on it when you do! Maybe you can test ride a Fat Boy with an M8. :heart_eyes:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    #40 Iron, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    I had to go visit my friendly neighbourhood hoodlums for a couple of things so as I was over that way I had a look in the Shiney Shop (Riders of Bristol).
    They have a Fatso with a number plate mounted on the back. I thought it would've looked better but given the size of our plates (the Old Bill have bad eyesight) it isn't too nice so a 'verticalled' side mount is probably better as planned.

2.jpg

Not so nice in white either and only a touch under £18k ($24,300) for a 2018 bike. Crikey :eek:

1.jpg

They had a few others.......no idea, sorry. But the boots were nice so I may buy some of those

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1