New Vs Old Speed Twin

Discussion in 'Triumph Twin Power' started by Fadkar, Apr 18, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fadkar

Fadkar New Member

Apr 18, 2022
    California
    I'm looking at a used 2020 Speed Twin w/ the following details:
    • $11k USD
    • 2,600 miles
    • Carbon fiber wheels
    • Ohlin rear shock
    • Baak headers & booster plug
    • Brembo 19 RCS master cylinder
    What do you think about the price given the sweet aftermarket additions that it has? The front forks are stock so I'd likely need to allocate another ~$1.5k for upgrades, bringing the total price to ~$12.5k. That's the MSRP of a new Speed Twin although by the time I factor in dealer fees, freight, tax, etc., I'm looking at ~$15k OTD in California. While the new ST has upgraded suspension, I'm sure it would still be inferior compared to the fully adjustable setup I'd have with this used option.

Would love your thoughts/advice here!

2. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    #2 Geoff Butler, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    Welcome!

The Missenden Flyer (TMF) did a good comparison recently

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Neil_87

Neil_87 New Member

May 15, 2022
    Lincs, UK
    Currently working on the same dilemma myself. Did you decide yet which to go for? I think if there is a significant cost saving and you are planning to potentially modify the suspension and exhaust anyway then an older one makes sense but the newer one is tempting with the usd forks and better brakes.

4. Red26

Red26 Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Australia
    Sounds Like a great bike and its had the suspension done very nicely. Im looking at buying the latest model Speed twin.
    Ive worked out though if you buy the latest one youre going to have to put good shocks on the rear and adjustable cartridges in the forks because like my 2018 T120 they need it and that will cost at least $2500aud or roughly about $1800 usd. Then you have to buy a radiator guard. After all that I think youre better off buying the new Thruxton rs because by the time you fix the suspension, put a radiator guard on and some bar end mirrors and one or two other things you end up nearly at the Thruxton rs price and you get a whole lot more bike with the Thruxton.
    Just my thoughts on it but Ive done a lot of miles on my Bonneville 1200, put good quality shocks on the rear, better springs on the front and the forks have adjustability. Ive done other stuff as well.
    I am torn between buying a new Speed twin or the Thruxton rs.