New Trophy 1200 owner

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Vainparasite, Jun 9, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Vainparasite

Vainparasite New Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Hi im new here and looking for a bit of advice,
    I have been offered a 1999 Trophy 1200 for a good price because it has a fault.
    It starts fine and runs ok for the first 8 miles or so then one cylinder cuts out.
    Im thinking it could be the coil pack or carb, the current owner is up to his neck in other projects and only bought this as a daily rider until his cbr is sorted and as the fault occurred he doesn't want to add it to his to do list, hence the offer.
    Could it be a coil pack? I have looked on ebay and the coils do 2 cylinders each so if it was shot would it not cut both cylinders out?
    I really do want to get this bike as it offers a way to get back in the saddle after a couple of years off for a pretty budget price... If i can sort it cheaply that is.
    I would love to hear some thoughts from you experienced Triumph guys or girls.

Thanks Martin

2. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Hi Martin and welcome to the Forum.

The 1200 trophy's are meant to be really good touring bikes and they are now starting to get a bit scarce on the ground.

With regards to the bike cutting one cylinder out after a few miles. Has the present owner done anything to check the bike as it could be as simple as something like a spark plug lead as they were carbon ones from new and they do tend to break down over time.
    Also is there any cracks in the inlet manifold rubbers that maybe leaking when the bike gets hot or even for that matter a faulty spark plug.
    If you can get the bike cheap you could always sell it for parts and make a bit of money.
    How tidy is the bike condition wise?

Cheers

Steve

3. Vainparasite

Vainparasite New Member

Jun 9, 2014
    image.jpg
    This is the bike, im looking at it tomorrow, he hasn't done anything to solve the problem at all as he has 6 bikes as well as this, 4 in various states of repair etc so he just wants room.
    He has offered it to me for £600, so there is no doubt at all ill be having it.

image.jpg

4. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Bargin :upyeah:

The exhausts if they are still good are worth at least £300 for the pair not to mention the luggage.

Good luck and if you need any help give us a yell

Cheers

Steve