New Tor’s For 2014 Bonnie ...

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Monkeyjoe, Jun 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Monkeyjoe

Monkeyjoe Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Ayrshire
    Hi all,
    I just ordered tor’s for my Bonnie, I’ve never changed the pipes before, but it looks pretty straightforward... my query is, I have a centre stand fitted, do the tor’s come with a rubber stop on as standard for the side stand and centre Stand? ...also to remove the original silencers, is it just a case of loosen the bolts, twist a bit and ease off? When putting on the tor’s do I need any sealant of some sort? Any help much appreciated....

2. Monkeyjoe

Monkeyjoe Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Ayrshire
    Actually just saw a pic, I see the brackets are on the tors so just apply the rubber stops....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Hi Joe, though I have never taken the Bonneville's off I have taken similar systems off on other bikes, loosen the nut and see if it is loose so that it can rotate slightly from side to side then just wiggle it backwards. If not loose then use a plank on the back of the exhaust and just give it a few slight taps forward with a hammer then repeat first step. They normally don't sit too much on that area as there is not much heat. Another tip is spray a lubricant on the nut and bolt prior to loosening, it always helps and is good practice wherever heat is involved with fastening systems. All the time take care not to scratch the bike. As for a sealant when fitting the new system you can apply a thin layer of grease before tightening though normally not necessary. The grease just helps it seat nicely when tightening and quickly dissipate when reaching temperature.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Monkeyjoe

Monkeyjoe Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Ayrshire
    Great advice Angus, thanks buddy

5. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hey Joe,

I also changed my cans for the first time this January. I found it a tough enough job, doable but a good bit of work. Arguably the hardest part was to remove the old studs. They were firmly rusted into place (with around 10,000m on the counter). Took me hours to get them off. I had to use a blowtorch, candle wax and a knipex. Getting the rest of the bits and pieces off was easy in comparison.

The pipes were a fairly tight fit (TEC cans), and I just used some exhaust paste.

6. Monkeyjoe

Monkeyjoe Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Ayrshire
    Thanks Mischa, I’ll spray some wd40 on it first to try and loosen it up a bit, hopefully won’t have to get the blowtorch out! I’ll let you’s know how I get on...

7. Monkeyjoe

Monkeyjoe Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Ayrshire
    #7 Monkeyjoe, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Hey guys, fitted the tors today, they sound much better, getting the old pipes off and the new one’s on was no problem, good advice thanks, used a bit of wood and a few taps with a hammer to get the collar off, and then a wee bit clear silicone to help ease the new ones on, and create a seal, but sounding really good, thanks for your help! video here:

before tors

after tors...

• Like Like x 2
  8. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    You'll have to let us know how the bike is on a run out with your new pipes, looking good!

9. Monkeyjoe

Monkeyjoe Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Ayrshire
    They sound great Curly! definately louder when I open up the throttle, a bit of pop now and then on the over run but I like that anyway, fuel efficiency seems to be ok, maybe slightly using a bit more, I'll see how it goes, but much better than stock...

10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    The dealer re-mapped my bike after fitting TORS - you may find it will run too lean without one as the TORS are straight through pipes. If you have access to Tune ECU you can do it yourself.