New Top Gear presenter ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by billyandmollysdad, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. I just read on MCN website, the bookies favourite for TG's new presenter is none other than Guy Martin ! I'm a big fan of Guy, but not too sure he would fit in there...
    What do you guys think ?

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I've just been watching Guy Martin and the Spitfire. What a bloke ! Sooooooooooooooo much better than that loud-mouthed arrogant pillock.

Guy seems the real deal, understands engineering excellence and how things are made so I would say he'll fit in very well.

I really hope he gets the job.

Dave

3. Miniman408

Miniman408 New Member

May 9, 2014
    Penrith
    Chris Evans as the lead presenter.
    Guy Martin.
    Jodie Kid???

4. Jodie Kidd ? - No way.
    Chris Evans ? - Too much of a BBC arse licker.
    Guy Martin - Bikes, yes ! Cars, not sure....

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    He seems to appreciate and enjoy good engineering solutions so I would suspect he'll bring a real-world element to the program - not that I think he'll get the gig, sadly. Can you imagine him fitting in with the BBC toffs?

6. In a word, NO. I don't think he would be happy being a corporate arse kisser.
    He may prove me wrong, I dunno....

7. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Well I hope he does get offered the job and accepts it, I reckon it would take the trio in a new and more interesting direction. Time will tell of course.

Dave

8. I don't disagree with what you're sayin, it would be great if he got the job, I'm a massive fan...I'm just not sure he would be the right man for the job.

9. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
  10. Colessurfer15

Colessurfer15 New Member

Mar 31, 2015
    Somerset
    Guy Martin is the same ilk as Fred Dibnah just thinks bike spot on Top Gear lol

11. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    I'm not sure that Clarkson was a corporate arse licker ;)

Alexei Sayle, the perfect choice. Hello John, got a new motor?

12. No, he wasn't really, but I'm sure his potential replacement would have to be....
    I suppose it's all irrelevant now anyway, as it looks like it wont be coming back, not on the beeb anyway.

13. martingw1

martingw1 Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Much as I'm a fan of guy, not sure he would be right for this, as far as I'm concerned the beeb is anti bike period, three Brits take the podium in opening wsb doesn't get a mention on the sports spot that follows the evening news, a Brit on the podium in moto 3 last week, again nothing, in fact you'd never have known motogp had started it's season. I don't think guy would fit in at the been, he'd be better off carrying on the type of programmes he's doing, including I hope, the riding back of the royal Enfield from goa to Grimsby, charlie and Ewan eat your heart out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chris newton

chris newton Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Wallsend
    #14 chris newton, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    Guy Martin has said "never say never" though I do think his accent may be a bit of an issue .. especially for those countries that broadcast without subtitles.

Firstly... I'm from even further up north so I certainly support the northern side of the north/south divide.... so not against the idea myself.

However I'm not sure the BBC would put him in such a massive position .. add that to the fact that the remaining presenters are both bike riders .. (and James May is an engineering geek too)

A change of format would have to be necessary as there wouldn't be the conflict/difference of opinion as there currently is/was

Jodie kid is a petrol head, but having viewed her on "the classic car show", she's a bore.
    VBH is a good shout .. however the "Top Gear Specials" may not suit her.
    Suzie Perry has been linked .. which again is a good shout but she's also into bikes

The BEEB may look to add a female presenter to "balance" the show a little, however all three females listed above are older than Guy. so if "Top Gear" is to attract a younger audience, then it may pick an unknown/little known young starlet?

Rachel Riley Anyone? ... not as the main presenter as I think May or Hammond could share depending on guest/article .. but just to inject a new younger face who would fit the BEEBs model

15. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    But not Vanessa Feltz or Charlie Dimmock

16. Tom8336

Tom8336 Member

Mar 23, 2015
    London
    How about one of the fit weather girls. Or even better, that bird from Countdown.

17. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That would be Rachel Riley as suggested by Chris.
    Guy Martin is also a bit of a car nut - has has owned an E46 M3, Aston Martin Vantage V12 and a Porsche GT3. His most famous car (which he still has) guy-martin.jpg is the 1967 volvo estate with a 788bhp engine.

18. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The case for Guy Martin just got A LOT STRONGER !

• Like Like x 1
  19. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I love his description of it's performance:

"The truth is, this is the quickest machine I have ever driven or ridden. My GSXR Suzuki superbike is about 220bhp and probably a bit quicker to 100mph, but if you put them on the road together the Volvo would leave it for dust between 100mph and 200mph."

• Like Like x 1
  20. WOW ! I never knew he had that thing, that's awesome, I love stuff like that. I've only ever seen him in his Transit Custom...