675 New To Triumph 2017 Street Triple R - Low Seat?

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by Wagon, Jul 20, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Wagon

Wagon New Member

Jul 20, 2023
    WA, USA
    Hi! Just bought my 1st Triumph, a 2017 ST R 675. I find it a tad too tall for my legs, wonder if there is a Low Seat option available in the market so I can replace the stock seat. I do not want to lower the bike and I believe a lower seat id sufficient.

Have tried Google but unable to yield anything for 2017 ST R, Please point me to the right place. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Amazing Grace
    It depends how much you need to get the saddle height down by.

The LRH model achieved the lower ride height by using a shorter rear shock and shorter forks.

Your rear shock preload will probably on the minimum setting but if there’s a way to reduce the preload further you will find that it will drop the tail further but you will need to see if the reduced preload is acceptable on the road.

3. Wagon

Wagon New Member

Jul 20, 2023
    WA, USA
    Thanks for the feedback and clarification on the factory LRH, Baza, Originally I thought they also put in a "low" seat in the LRH version.

In my case, I think 1" drop will be enough for me to feel more comfortable and more confident especially when walking the bike back out from the garage &/or on my sloped drive way. Right now I have to tip toe which doesn't give me much traction.

Per your suggestion in adjusting the preload, is 1" drop possible by use of this option?

Another option is to shave down the seat, but not sure if there is 1" available to shave .. and I need to look for a shop to do that (I live in a relatively smaller city).

The the last resort, I may consider a lowering kit from LUST Racing, they have a 25mm kit which should fit my need. In your opinion, should I be too concern with the ride by "just" 1" drop?

4. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Amazing Grace
    I have been tippy toeing my Ducati around for the last twenty years. It was only the “C” spanner that is part of the tool kit on my new Striple that tempted me to tinker with the suspension settings. Having now progressively taken 6 turns off of the rear shock preload I can flat foot it and I’m not bounced out of the seat on every bump. I wish I had measured the tail height after each adjustment.

Seat height is not the only thing that determines whether you can comfortably paddle the bike around whilst seated on it. The width of the seat between your legs also plays a significant part. And no, I don’t think there is an abundance of padding in the stock seat to mess around with but maybe that’s because I have a LRH model. The techies at Triumph only mentioned the suspension mods when advising how the lower ride height was achieved.

Good luck with LUST I emailed them and received no response.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Just to add... Triumph low seats are like planks. Inherently uncomfortable.

• Like Like x 1
  6. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Keep in mind that lowering the seat will also put more bend in your legs when riding. If you want to keep the bike as comfortable as possible I would go with lowering links and drop the front the same amount by raising the forks through the yoke. It's a cheap and reversible solution.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Wagon

Wagon New Member

Jul 20, 2023
    WA, USA
    Thanks for everyone's input. I will keep all these in mind.

I have a pair of GI boots which I have not worn for years - which have thicker sole. I put them on and found that they helped. May be all I need is combination of "some" shaving from the seat + boots with thicker outsole :)

Thanks again!

8. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Amazing Grace
    Forget the GI boots. These are what you really need.

65812e69-c31c-4383-92ec-00a1ed924bdf.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    IMG_0390.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  10. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Amazing Grace
    Just catching up on the latest posts and was looking at the photo I posted earlier. Looking at the rider’s right ankle I think it looks as if the leg may not be the one he was born with. The left leg could also be a prosthetic.

If this is the case, whoever you are I am truly sorry for using this photo.

11. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Back on a more serious note Daytona make boots with a lift in the insole to give you an extra 2.5cm - just Googled and the male version is the M-Star.

Alternatively, if the only difficulty you are having with the bike is in paddling it backwards, could you just get off and push? My Blade is too tall for me to safely paddle backwards so I just get off it and push it to wherever it needs to be rather than have iffy footing without traction when trying to reverse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wagon

Wagon New Member

Jul 20, 2023
    WA, USA
    Mrs Visor - yes, I am going to try that too. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Amazing Grace
    Daytona boots are great. I’m currently on my 2nd pair of Roadstars after the first pair were “borrowed” by youngest son.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Oh dear :laughing:.

15. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Good call regarding the M-Stars. I very nearly bought a pair when I got my Tiger, but in the end I deferred the decision and ultimately got used to the bike's height. (And they're not cheap.)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Amazing Grace
    Agreed, they are not cheap but after wearing them you will come to realise that it was money well spent. My youngest who nicked my first pair reckons they are the most comfortable boots he has ever tried.

17. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    And great for chatting up tall girls.

• Funny Funny x 3