New To T120 Questions

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by johnboy51, Apr 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. johnboy51

johnboy51 Member

Apr 2, 2019
    Rugby, UK
    Hello again.

As I mentioned in my intro in the Newbie section I have a few questions regarding my 2016 T120.

I am looking for some kind of touring screen, somewhere between the 'barn doors' and flyscreens.
    I shall also want to fit some hard luggage for touring. Any recommendations appreciated.

One aspect that I find different to previous bikes (Versys 650 and R1150R) is the steering feels slow and deliberate. Is this typical of T120s? Is there a practical fix to speed things up a bit?

I have to say I am loving the new bike, it delivers its power in a similar way to the old BMW R1150R. but thankfully my feet and the overall centre of gravity are closer to the floor.

Any comments gratefully received.

Cheers Johnboy

• Like Like x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Jonboy51
    I'm sure the peeps will be along soon. Probably getting their meds. But if there is something that can be done to the bike. Then it was thought of here and probably done time and time again. After the meds the inmates start to function again.
    Ride Safe & Enjoy
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Eastbournemark

Eastbournemark Proud Snowflake

Jun 17, 2017
    Eastbourne
    Hi Johnboy.

Welcome. Putting in progressive front springs into the forks has certainly made my T120 steering a tad more nimble. Cheap and easy to do. All the best.

4. Hi,
    Did you get a windscreen yet? I just bought one from Madstad for my 2018 T120. Their attachment method with the quick release brackets is an engineering marvel. You can go from having a height&angle adjustable windshield back to a naked bike in about 30 seconds. But, unfortunately for me, the windscreen actually made the wind buffeting worse. I tried every adjustment... steep angle, shallow angle, high position, low position and everything in between, but no matter what the wind knocked me around like a shoe in a clothes dryer.
    So, it's going back to Madstad which means I'll be paying a 15% re-stocking fee plus shipping.
    Too bad because it looked great and like I said, the quick-release mechanism is a thing of beauty.
    I think I'll try some type of flyscreen next.

5. johnboy51

johnboy51 Member

Apr 2, 2019
    Rugby, UK
    Hi W/C
    I did experiment with a Givi universal screen, but it looked naff and created awful a sort of high frequency buffeting. Not nice. I persevered for 2000 miles in North England and France then stuck it on eBay.
    I'd had a good experience on a Versys 650 with a MRA Vario screen albeit a totally different bike but I bought one for the T120 and have to say that it's been a success. Bare in mind that I'm 5' 7" so I don't need a tall screen and this one is marginally wider which along with the 'split' screen effect seems to eliminate any buffeting.
    I would have preferred it to have 4 point fixing but the 2 point seems rigid enough and had it up to 90 mph without any problems.
    I can post some pictures if you like as there didn't seem to be any on the www showing the Bonneville.
    Cheers John

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. johnboy51

johnboy51 Member

Apr 2, 2019
    Rugby, UK
    And in my eyes it doesn't look too bad almost attractive, but that kind of thing is down to personal taste.

JB

• Agree Agree x 1