Featured New To Me Dc Tig Welder

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by QuadumphUK, Jul 22, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Finally managed to buy a Tig welder. Arcmaster 175TE DC only tig welder. Bought off e-bay and looks to hardly been used. Going to have a go at Tig bronzing as a way to weld sub frame mounts to frame. Just got to get £ together to get some Argon gas and will get some practice in. Be interesting to see if can pick it up again after it being soooooooooooooo long ago that did course. Still you don`t get anywhere if you don`t try. Sdaly bets place I can find to get gas seems to be Poland (????) As have no transport can`t get anywhere local. BOC don`t deliver to residential addresses or they would have been best. Still will get there eventually :)
    s-l1600.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  2. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    BOC don't deliver, but you can go to them. From memory Adams works out better for lower use.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Try machine mart

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I’ve always wanted to learn the tig process. I taught myself mig welding and have built some nice jeep bumpers, as well as a lot of jigs and tooling in my blacksmith hobby days. I don’t swing a hammer anymore due to some arthritis, but I still enjoy firing up the welder on occasion. This summer project is an over lander rack for the jeep. I’d post the project on this forum if anyone is interested, even if it’s not a Triumph.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Have a look on line at www.adamsgas.co.uk they advertise in Classic Motorcycle Mechanics, they supply rent free refillable bottles of various sizes.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    I've always fancied having a go at TIG welding. It "looks" much easier than MIG, more controlled, less spit, pop and fizz! Might be completely wrong though !! :joy::joy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Thats exactly right less, mess and noise. At college used foot control that made welding ali a bit easier as you are constantly adjusting amps as you go along. Ali melts pretty easy and absorbs heat quickly so as you move along hte bit your about to weld id already hot so takes less amps to create weld pool. can`t wait to get gas and give it ago

• Like Like x 2
  8. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    The Argon I`ve found on e-bay from Poland is 8litres at 150-200 bar with regulator and dual flow meter outlets £ 120 including delivery. So i can connect up my Tig and mig if I want to convert mig back to gas. I know Mig welding gives a cooler weld and slightly less penetration than Co2 Mag welding.As i`m only welding 2 mm a few more amps to get penetration should be OK. The gasless mig creates alot of toxic gases and load of spatter. But primarily it`s to learn Tig and bronzeing in particular or though can weld stainless and mild with appropriate filler rods. Thats why I like Tig so versatile. Once get going will post some pics of results

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Find the company directly feck eBay I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Old thread I know but what was the end result in buying gas?

• Like Like x 1
  11. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Bought it through e-bay in end from Poland. Sadly due to moving and unforseen circumstances had to sell Tig set up. If I remember rightly it didn`t take to long to arrive. DHL I think

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I was just curious as I’ve changed my supplier from BOC to Buse

• Like Like x 1
  13. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    It will be interesting to see if is any different. Sadly BOC don`t deliver to domestic address and couldn`t pick up as no car. What was problem with BOC, if I can ask ?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I was on a ‘Y’ bottle which is possibly 7” diameter and around 1m tall so quite a wide and half the height of a ‘W’ which is full height. The gas was just upping all the time in price so Buse do similar bottle in height that holds 2 1/2 times as much gas as it’s a bit wider and compressed more for less money and a small rental of £9 per month. I can’t remember the exact figures of gas price but per annum it’s half the price v usage so it was a no brainer. Tig welders use an incredible amount of gas compared to mig. I can use a fat co2 bottle for the mig every two years and still do a lot of welding but as for the tig I use similar in 2-4 weeks if it was on an even field.

• Like Like x 2
  15. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Sounds like a much better deal. Still going to get a tig welder one day but going to save a fair bit more and get AC DC so can weld Aluminium. That`s the plan for 2022 anyway. Fingers crossed , again

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    That’s what I run, pointless for me just to have a dc one so I’ve both. It’s mostly used on alloy as I’ve a mig for my other stuff

• Like Like x 2
  17. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    I`ll be honest aswell once have Tig will be a while to learn again but enjoy the process so much more than mig. Something very satisfying about arcing up and feeding in the filler rod and ending up up with a uniform row of scalloped welds. Always found it peaceful and calming

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Should you be called migcraft too?!? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Ah don’t use that screen name for any reasons like that. I used to have a prototype super single race bike made by Tigcraft, it was the very first road legal bike with frame number 1

• Like Like x 2