New Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Lancstony, Jul 11, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lancstony

Lancstony Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Rossendale, Lancshire
    Seat was very comfy, once I'd got used to positioning and forward controls etc i realised just how comfy it is, much better than the one on the Explorer

2. Lancstony

Lancstony Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Rossendale, Lancshire
    Just one more for luck!!

image.jpg

3. Lancstony

Lancstony Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Rossendale, Lancshire
    Got to say I got a great deal at Youles in Manchester, really looked after me, I wasn't expecting to be able to get one this age, was expecting to be looking a bit older but they sorted me out with this and, just in case you couldn't tell, I can't be happier!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Beautiful mate, very happy for you - bastid, bastid bastid :(:(:D

5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Nice paintwork!!

6. SeattleRod

SeattleRod New Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Seattle
    That's a cool paint job! And already with a sissy bar and cruiser pegs, you are set brother! Very nice and congrats. Are you wearing a full face helmet? That'll be the only way to conceal the grin on your face when you ride.
    I'm still trying not to grin when I open the throttle on the highway ;-)

7. Lancstony

Lancstony Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Rossendale, Lancshire
    I do have a full face helmet but I am considering getting a new one, anybody have any recommendations?

8. Lancstony

Lancstony Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Rossendale, Lancshire
    I mean by that open faced ones or whatever you wear/find the best etc

9. SeattleRod

SeattleRod New Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Seattle
    To risk sounding like a party pooper, flying med-evac for 7 years left a pretty (negative)strong impression on open face helmets.

10. Lancstony

Lancstony Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Rossendale, Lancshire
    Hey no party pooper at all, never looked at open faced helmets before so if people have good/bad or indifferent experiences with them that just educates me a little more :)

11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I've used a variety of open-face helmets for the last 5/6 years and had no negative feedback to give. In hot weather they are much more comfortable due to much better ventilation.Here's my latest one I picked upon a recent visit to UK :

[​IMG]

12. Lancstony

Lancstony Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Rossendale, Lancshire
    That looks good, what make is it? noticed they seem to be a lot cheaper than full face ones, reckon i would have a budget of around £100, following purchase of bike!, is there anything specific i should be checking on them?

13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Mine was an off the shelf ex-demo and I paid £35 instead of £40.

As with all helmets fit is, imo, the single most important criteria. If it doesn't fit right it can't protect you.

Other features? Well I particularly like the sun visor. I wear glasses when riding (either clear or tinted depending on weather) and I like that they are behind a protective 'shield'. I also wear a bandana/scarf to protect the lower half of my face against flying bastids!

As with all my biking gear I only go for top quality, so I've got kevlar jogging bottoms, carbon fibre flip-flops etc etc

I found the best protection of all is to NOT FALL OFF. After all, you wouldn't want to damage that beautiful paint would you?

14. Lancstony

Lancstony Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Rossendale, Lancshire
    Thanks for that, I will have a look this weekend I think, as long as they have my size as I seem to have a rather large head, so large in fact a I once went mountain biking and the guy said to me sorry we don't have helmets big enough but I can cut some eye holes in this metal bucket!! Cheeky Bar Steward I thought!

Seen a really nice looking Held jacket as well, this bike could be the most costly thing I have ever purchased and I'm not even on to adding bits to the bike yet :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Look at flip fronts as well, best of both, full face for fast roads and open for town. There has been a thread on these somewhere

16. Lancstony

Lancstony Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Rossendale, Lancshire
    Cheers will have a search for the thread at lunch

17. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    If you have a j&s accessories near you they usually have a good selection. I have a rpha max which works for me, although sometimes I wish I got one where the front flips all the way over

18. Lancstony

Lancstony Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Rossendale, Lancshire
    Yes think I will have a look at both types, flip and open face ones, can still use one I have anyway if I need to save more money for one

19. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    I'd second Steve's vote for the new Roof helmets. I tried one a couple of weeks ago and was impressed. I like how it is a true open face when you flip the chin bar right over the helmet. Not cheap though......