New T100 Owner

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Russell Stroup, Nov 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    hi and welcome

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Russell Stroup

Russell Stroup Noble Member

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Martine,
    I will definitely be taking an MSF course in the spring. I’ve been a professional driver for 30 years (18 wheels not 2). During that time I’ve gone through all sorts of company mandated training. There are so many things you can learn, if you aren’t someone who thinks he/she knows everything. Taking the MSF classes also allows you to get your license after completing the class.
    Thanks,
    Russell

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Martine

Martine Senior Member

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    Love that you said that! Yes! Trying, unsuccessfully so far, to convince our 16 year old of that concept.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Russell Stroup

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Bought a short black fly screen and some brass seat screws from Motone Customs less than a week ago, already arrived from UK. Faster than most of my stuff from Amazon here. Great service! I want to see how the black fly screen looks, may end up painting it to match the white and gold. We’ll see...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @Russell Stroup, did you know you can also get a discount from most insurers on your motorcycle insurance if you show proof of passing your MSF class??!! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I have gremlin or "guardian" bells on each of my motorcycles (two Harleys and one Triumph) and have had one on each of the motorcycles I've ever owned. My current Triumph Speed Triple has an actual Triumph bell on it. :) I had a gremlin bell on the Thruxton I used to own that had the words Cafe Racer on one side and a pic of a cafe racer on the other side.

Here's the story behind the bells and a screen shot of a Triumph bell available on (where else?) Amazon.

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 9.27.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 9.28.55 PM.png

• Like Like x 3
  7. Russell Stroup

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Sandi,
    Thx I’ll let them know that when I’m done with the class. I’m really surprised how cheap it is already, one of the few benefits of aging. :grinning: Love your new bike, very sharp. Ride safe!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for the positive comments on my new bike, Russell! I'm really loving it. :)

Good luck with the MSF class when you take it. I had a good experience and felt the class was super helpful and well run and I learned tons. Yes, there do need to be some perks for aging and lower insurance rates is one of them. ;)

Go Steelers!! :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Russell Stroup

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    6 month update and progress:
    Installed Oxford heated grips. They’re awesome and I won’t have another bike without them.
    Installed booster plug. I understand there are mixed reviews on them, but I can feel a difference at low speeds and starting out. The streets around my house are 100 year old cobblestone and this helps creeping along on them tremendously.
    I’m right at 1000 miles since I got my T100 and love it more every day. Compliments almost every time I ride it.
    FINALLY got signed up for a Motorcycle Safety Course, they’re booked solid in Pennsylvania. I was calling and checking for openings regularly and found a cancellation yesterday. Class starts tonight :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Martine

Martine Senior Member

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    Glad to see your update, Russell. Congratulations on snagging a MSF slot! I hope you'll post about how it goes and what stands out. I got my T100 about the same time as you and have also been LOVING it. About 1200 miles on it and, like you said, I appreciate and enjoy it more every time I ride. Not needing the heated grips here anymore this season but enjoyed them earlier. How has your flyscreen worked out? I'd like a screen but haven't decided which one yet. Can you tell more about what difference the booster plug does for you starting out and at low speed? Could be something I don't even know I need? I added the panniers and love them also. Road yesterday on a short 60 mile ride and it was pure pleasure. Enjoy your MSF course starting tonight!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Russell Stroup

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    @Martine MSF course is free to Pennsylvania motorcyclists $5 out of the $10 permit fee plus $5 every time you renew your motorcycle endorsement on your license, funds the program. It’s 2/3 hour classroom sessions and 2/5 hour range sessions. Pass the class and you get the endorsement. Not a bad deal. Advanced rider courses are also available, and free.
    The booster plug helps take out some of the jumpy feel at low speeds and take off. It tricks the ECU and enriches the throttle and makes low speed maneuvering a lot easier. I’ve taken off the windscreen for now, not sure of my plans with that. I love the stock look, and am not sure how much it helped with the wind, if at all. We’ll see...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Martine

Martine Senior Member

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    Thanks for the explanations. Sounds like PA has a good thing going with its classes to encourage participation. I also like the naked bike look but would like some wind relief when over 65mph; haven't decided how I'll land on the windshield yet sinceI've not heard of any that seem to do that reliably and I'm hesitant to spend a bunch on one I don't like. Ride safe.