New Speed Triple Should Look Better Than A Street Triple But Sadly Doesn't.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Cooky Boy, Jan 27, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Just seen pictures of new Speed Trip. Big can on the back and parts raid from Street Triple.
    It Should be a whole new and exciting design update but just looks like a Street Triple with a dustbin can hiding the single sider.
    An underslung exhaust with triple exit pipes or maybe radical twin headlights would have drawn attention.
    I think Triumph have played safe again. It won't be a design classic in my opinion, 177BHP or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I'm a massive fan of the street... I actually prefer the looks of the last gen with the rounder headlights... looks more triumph than the latest one... but still a brilliant bike

3. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    My initial thought was that the new 1200 RS looks a bit bland, but after looking at it a few times I can see things I do like (and don't like)..

The fuel tank brings back memories to older Speed Triples >2010 and I do like the front lights and that it looks alright even without a fly screen.
    The rear pipe looks good but as you menation @Cooky Boy, it kinda hides the single sided swing arm.
    I do like the look of the can but would have been nice if it was a bit smaller.

Not a massive fan of having a print on the tank (the RS print), similar to what Aprilia has on their Tuono Factory, but that's more me struggling to figure out how to mount the snakeskins nicely without wrecking the design.

I look forward to reading reviews about it...

• Like Like x 1
  4. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I like it, looks good, very good! But my minds made up. I'm still gonna opt for the new superduke.

5. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Make sure you get a good warranty.
    Triumph will have better build quality.

6. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I've got a gen 2 superduke, 3 years, nearly 20k miles, first 1000 miles on salty roads, ridden in all weathers and seriously abused quite a lot! Toured Spain, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and the length of France in a monsoon. Its been flawless the entire time, not even a weak battery and not a pick of corrosion anywhere. I wish I could say that for the many triumphs I've owned :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Fair enough Andy,
    Have not owned a KTM myself but a few mates who have. Their experiences have made me quite wary of the brand.
    I have owned most brands and have had reliable and unreliable machines from BMW, Honda and Ducati. I bought a brand new firebase and 10 miles from the showroom, both fork seals blew and poured fork oil over the front discs. A BMW K75 worked it's single sided rear wheel loose and I managed to get to the kerb just as it collapsed.
    I'm really pleased your KTM experience has been so good. We all want bikes that work correctly in the first place and keep working, so we can feel relaxed when we try to use them as intended instead of anxious that something is about to fail again.
    The new Speed Trip will be great but I cannot help thinking it just does not look special enough. At least KTM are not shy in searching for unique design language.
    Happy Riding and keep it shiny side up.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    While we are still at the topic "quality" and "reliability" how has the last new models that's been released been in terms of quality?
    Lots of recalls cuz they haven't been tested enough or have they been good?

Trying to think if I should get the last of the old version or this new one...(or a Tuono V4)

9. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I was very dubious when buying the ktm, kept asking the dealer about reliability. Of course he assured me there are no horror stories :rolleyes:. Ownership of the beast has given me a real love for ktm, I could ramble on about all the little touches throughout the bike and the ownership experience where they exceed triumphs offerings but I wont since this is a triumph forum. I do love triumphs too, I'm probably in the teens now as to the number I've owned :p
    Like you say, any brand can turn out a troublesome bike! Maybe I've been lucky with the ktm but hand on heart, it's proven to be an absolute gem of a bike, a real workhorse and provides thrills like nothing I've ever owned :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK

11. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Andy as your local dealer has KTM and Triumph i would ask for a test ride of the Speed triple..it would be rude not too! but i think I'd be like you and go for the Superduke :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    I do love a twin myself. I can see the appeal of the SuperDuke.
    Currently having time off from chasing bhp and content with torque at road legal speeds. My new Thruxton RS is nice to polish and hopefully when the pandemic settles down, I will finally be able to give it a good workout.
    Aside from the current pandemic, the motorcycle disease will probably mean I get bored quickly and will be infected by a new more exciting variation that ny body and mind will be unable to resist. It could well be a KTM!

• Like Like x 2
  13. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Ah I had a Thruxton R, it's one I regret selling! Absolutely fantastic bike!

14. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I fully intend to test the new speed :p I've no doubt it will be a bloody good bike! But my minds still made up :)

15. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Sounds like me when I was about to testdrive a Triumph Speed triple and ordered one, I asked a good few times "do they leak oil" cuz that's about the one thing I have heard about about Triumphs as soon as I mention I was looking at getting one.

• Like Like x 1