New Rocket 3 2020 Minor Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by David Downes, Feb 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    This has been on the R3 forum, my bike gave a low battery warning if the key was in jeans pocket - moved to jacket pocket and not had problem since.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Wayne Whitworth

Wayne Whitworth New Member

Aug 1, 2020
    San Antonio, Texas

3. Wayne Whitworth

Aug 1, 2020
    San Antonio, Texas
    The low key fob warning light Came on the display screen during my second week of ownership of my GT. After changing the battery and doing a little reading in the manual I decided to use the on off function on the fob whenever the bike was not in use. Who knows, that fob was probably on and transmitting since the bike was born.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dr. Jack

Dr. Jack New Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Metairie, La. U.S.A.
    I

5. Dr. Jack

Dr. Jack New Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Metairie, La. U.S.A.
    I had “Key Fob Out of Range” light coming on constantly during every ride since my first ride on my 2020 R3 TFC. Very annoying having to clear it constantly. Sunday I rode about 100-150 miles and no warning light. Today Tuesday I got on bike and again “Fob out of range” came on constantly. I realized Sunday I wore a very thin pair of jeans I don’t normally wear and warning light never came on. I keep key in right Jean pocket. I then positioned key in pocket with transmitter pointing to rear of bike. Voila no warning light on 100 mile ride. Obviously key fob sensor by rear seat is not sensitive enough on bike. Triumph should correct this problem immediately on all future bikes!

• Like Like x 2
  6. JPHDT

JPHDT Member

May 26, 2020
    France
    After the same bad experience, I am not using anymore the "big" transmitter. I am using the small key without battery, and keep the big one switched off inside pocket. OK when you sit on the bike you have to find the right place on the rear left back to place the key while you switch on the bike. After a few trials, you will find it without looking at.

Now, how nice it is, as I know that the orange light will not appear...

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Wayne Whitworth

Aug 1, 2020
    San Antonio, Texas
    #67 Wayne Whitworth, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Has anyone noticed an intermittent engine rattle immediately after starting? It only lasts about one second and then goes away. I first noticed it a couple of times during the break-in period and once since.

Of course, when I took it in for the first service it could not be duplicated. Sounds to me like a Variable Valve Timing (VVT) issue except for the fact that VVT clatter usually only happens on cold starts and I have experienced this on cold as well as warm starts.

I have a little less than 2,000 miles on it and it has only happened once since the first service.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

8. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Just for info, I have the speed rs with the transmitter and if the fob is switched off, you can still start the bike with that key if you hold it in the correct place (the same as the other battery-less ones) if you ever get stuck.
    If you want to test it, switch it off (or remove the battery) and then try. It should work.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Sounds like the cam chain tensioner when the engine is building up oil pressure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wayne Whitworth

Aug 1, 2020
    San Antonio, Texas
    So....please excuse my ignorance but is that a bad thing or normal?

11. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Normal matey. Lots of bikes do it. Hydraulic tensioners have this until pressure is built up by the engine at the start.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Wayne Whitworth

Aug 1, 2020
    San Antonio, Texas
    Whew!!! Thanks for the piece of mind.

13. Wayne Whitworth

Aug 1, 2020
    San Antonio, Texas
    Maybe I’m a little too picky but I have noticed what sounds like a low end rattle/rubble Around mid throttle when slightly accelerating in 3rd at approx 30 mph. I know this is low speed and low rpm but is still concerns me.

Noticed this today about half way during a beautiful 230 mile Texas hill country ride.

Have about 1,500 miles on the bike and had the initial service performed at 500 miles.

Hopefully this is just the nature of the beast.

Any thoughts/insight is greatly appreciated.

14. JP Feo

JP Feo New Member

Oct 17, 2020
    Earth
    Hey Guys, I'm new here. I also got a rocket 3 and I already had a few problems already with it. I don't know if you are experiencing the same. Mine is just 4 months old and 900 miles on it already. The first problem was the fuel sensor. I stopped to put some gas and after I rode the bike I noticed the orange indicator light showing you that you need gas never turned off, I rode the bike a few miles and nothing, finally after a week I had to take her to the dealership again, they had to order a new sensor and replace it. Then a couple of weeks after that I was cleaning the bike and noticed some oil dripping from one of the sides, I took the bike back but they were busy so I have to try and take it again next week. I hope is nothing serious. I also experience problems with the key, it constantly shows me the message of no signal or the key being out of range, and then, told me that the battery for the key was low.

Really appreciate any comments![/QUOTE]

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

15. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Unfortunately the oil leak looks like a porous gearbox problem that has been reported by other owners :confused:
    Get it back to triumph for warranty work :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. stollydriver

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    If your key is in trouser pocket and a jacket sits over - that can give transponder issue. I moved mine into jacket and had no issues since. Will inspect that engine when I get back ( wife has sent me click/ collect - never shopped so much)

• Like Like x 1
  17. ANDRZEJ PACZOS

ANDRZEJ PACZOS New Member

Oct 28, 2020
    NEW YORK
    Have 3000 miles on my TFC ROCKET 3 no problem

• Like Like x 2
  18. stollydriver

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    I believe they fail at 3001 miles - just joking:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. ANDRZEJ PACZOS

ANDRZEJ PACZOS New Member

Oct 28, 2020
    NEW YORK
    31000 miles on my old 2011 rocket 3 never problem r

• Like Like x 1
  20. JP Feo

JP Feo New Member

Oct 17, 2020
    Earth
    I also have had a couple of problems with my new bike. First, the gas tank sensor had to be replaced, I filled the tank once and the light never came off. I took it to the dealer and they had to order the part. Two weeks after that I was cleaning my bike and noticed some oil was leaking, I had to take it back to the dealer, again they had to order some parts to get it fix. It has been on the shop more than I have ride it. And also I have the same problems you have with the key being out of range.