New Rocket 3 2020 Minor Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by David Downes, Feb 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Unstable idle?? It's impossible for an engine that big to idle properly.

Just kidding !! Cool bike.

upload_2020-4-3_17-24-52.png

2. Dr. Jack

Dr. Jack New Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Metairie, La. U.S.A.

3. Dr. Jack

Dr. Jack New Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Metairie, La. U.S.A.
    I too have a key fob issue. Bike starts normally but a “Key Fob Out Of Range Message” continually comes on and off during entire ride.

4. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    This is my opinion, but I would still get it checked out.
    Or go to dealer and play around with there demo.
    The spanner goes out, so probably engine running checks.
    Idle, the bike is cold and essentially running on choke.
    Funny noises, could be cooling down, or air expelling from fuel tank.
    Remember just my opinion

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dr. Jack

Dr. Jack New Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Metairie, La. U.S.A.
    I changed battery twice. Key fob warning comes on constantly in different locations during rides.

6. Dr. Jack

Dr. Jack New Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Metairie, La. U.S.A.

7. Dr. Jack

Dr. Jack New Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Metairie, La. U.S.A.
    My R3 TFC didn’t have extensions only 2 allen keys. Dealer said TFC does not come with extensions. Has someone on forum had extensions in tool box?

8. Dr. Jack

Dr. Jack New Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Metairie, La. U.S.A.
    My R3 TFC didn’t have extensions only 2 allen keys. Dealer said TFC does not come with extensions. Has someone on forum had extensions in tool box?

9. Dr. Jack

Dr. Jack New Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Metairie, La. U.S.A.
    Mine does also, even after changing batteries 2x.

10. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    Keyfob out of range is not unique to the R3, it is mentioned over every Triumph bike forum that uses it. On my T12 if I put it in my powered tank bank "out of range comes up constantly" even if I am not drawing any power within the bag. Another T12 owner had the same issue after fitting a pair of Chinese fog lights, it went when he took them off. The fob range is quite small, like 1m or so, it needs to be closer to the sensor, a lower jacket pocket works best and away from any other electrical source.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Dr. Jack

Dr. Jack New Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Metairie, La. U.S.A.
    Thanks, but I keep it in my jean pocket, which is close to battery and front sensor. Location can’t be the problem.

12. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    With a range of only 3ft (in ideal conditions, battery perfect etc) that might still be a problem connecting to the front sensor. But you also have a sensor at the back under the pillion which is where you can hold the wireless or standard key for an emergency start should the battery be dud on your wireless key. I would of thought the key being in your pocket would pick up that rear sensor no bother at all. One owner on the Tiger forum has also noticed one of the three battery pins in the fob sits low and doesn't make good contact, he bent that back up and hasn't had a problem since. Doesn't seem right but if it works for him?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dr. Jack

Dr. Jack New Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Metairie, La. U.S.A.
    Thanks I’ll try that.

14. haydenvn

haydenvn Member

Jan 14, 2018
    sunny wirral uk
    I have posted on the 1200xe scrambler area of the forum that i had problems from the start with the keyless ignition. new battery,re programmed and putting key nearer did not solve the problem. Put another new battery in and no problem since but i now carry the spare key with me in case i have to start it without the keyless ignition facility. Put spare key (with built in chip) next to sign in phone holder under the seat and the bike can be started.

15. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    Your wireless key will also work the same way with a dud battery, no need to carry a spare.

16. haydenvn

haydenvn Member

Jan 14, 2018
    sunny wirral uk
    we live and learn. shame i was not told anything by the dealer.thanks for info

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rokraider

Rokraider New Member

Jun 22, 2020
    Surrey
    I have had the warning light with the spanner come on, on my GT after I had disconnected the battery to fit a battery charger plug and GPS wire. Turns out that you need to reset the date and time afterwards. (it was reading year 2000). Once that was reset , the spanner light has stayed out.

• Like Like x 2
  18. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
  19. Wayne Whitworth

Wayne Whitworth New Member

Aug 1, 2020
    San Antonio, Texas

20. Wayne Whitworth

Wayne Whitworth New Member

Aug 1, 2020
    San Antonio, Texas
    Your key issue prompted me to join this forum. As a matter of fact this is the first forum I have ever joined.

My Rocket GT gave me a low key battery message on the speedometer display about one week after delivery. After replacing the battery and doing a little reading in the manual I learned that the fob can be turned on and off by pressing the Triumph logo for a few seconds. So I now turn it off whenever it is not in use.

my assumption is that although I just got the bike, the fob has probably been on and transmitting since the bike was born.

hope this helps.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1