Featured New paint job

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Shamus13, May 1, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Shamus13

Shamus13 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
    Decided to treat my Speed Triple to some new paint. Never sprayed before but figured for the price of materials and a few guns I get to learn a new skill and maybe save on getting someone else doing it. Went for a metallic black over the standard solid black and a gunmetal for the wheels. Still got the frame to do to match the wheels but the majority has been done. Also didn't want to use decals so cut some stencils on my plotter and used these to stencil the logo's on. Couldn't find a OEM carbon tank protector to protect the new paint so took a mould of the tank before prepping and made my own. DSC_0523.JPG DSC_0524.JPG DSC_0575.JPG DSC_0577.JPG DSC_0591.JPG DSC_0594.JPG DSC_0602.JPG DSC_0603.JPG DSC_0604.JPG DSC_0608.JPG

• Like Like x 10
  2. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Looks well:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Wow! From the pictures, that certainly looks like a top job. This is your first go at spraying??

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Shamus13

Apr 18, 2016
    Over winter I converted 2/3rds of my garage into not so much a spray booth but a better place to work on and keep the bike condensation free. I covered the floor, walls and roof inside with a thick plastic like visqueen and then covered them all with high density fibre boards. Then put in a chipboard floor. No more condensation and it holds any heat much better. This area I covered in thin plastic when spraying to stop my tools, etc getting coated in overspray.
    DSC_0434.jpg DSC_0427.jpg DSC_0429.jpg DSC_0430.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  5. Shamus13

Apr 18, 2016
    Yes mate, first go. I had spent most of winter looking at info and learning the technical details of it all. This obviously doesn't make me a pro but it certainly helped when choosing products and doing a good job on the prep and colour compounding. Got to wait a few weeks before I can put some polish on it but got a decent finish with the compound.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Top notch job mate

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    A top quality job, superb result, your Speed Triple looks superb. Nice one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Shamus13

Apr 18, 2016
    Thanks for the comments lads.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nige H

Nige H New Member

May 1, 2017
    Cardiff
    Superb job, fair play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Spot on cracking work and unbelievable for a first job, just shows good knowledge and good prep can pay off
    for some folk, but you also have the ability and knowledge to learn which no matter what dont come easy !!
    TOP JOB, CRACKING BIKE, WELL DONE :D:D:D:D:D:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Wow, that's really impressive. What gun and paint did you use? Presumably the new-ish water based paints make doing this at home much safer than previous 2-pack? Anyway, well done, really nice job - bike looks really nice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Shamus13

Apr 18, 2016
    Thanks. I stuck with solvent based paints. I used a 2k black high build primer and once this was flatted down used a Valspar basecoat which is a high metallic black with some pearl in it too. I then used a Kapci 6030 2k clear as it is a good quality clear which can be air dried. I have some LVLP full size guns but found my mini HVLP (more midi sized) guns easier to use especially on the wheels as they are lighter and can get around the small panels better. For bike stuff I'll definitely stick with my mini's.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. anthony gothard

anthony gothard Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    hope your well proud of yourself, thats brilliant
    Top job

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Fantastic job, looks the dog's. The logos are top drawer!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Wasp

Wasp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    Burnley NWUK
    Looks a top job mate, well done.

Bob

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Shamus13

Apr 18, 2016
    I must admit even though only about 10% of the time was spent spraying and the rest of the time mainly sanding with the prep I did enjoy doing it. I have the spoiler of my car to do which has had it's lacquer fail and my mate wants the wheels of his bike doing so looking forward to doing a bit more.

17. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Bloody good job.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    And you've made me think again about a 955i Speedy as next bike rather than 1050!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shamus13

Apr 18, 2016
    I can't compare myself as this is the first Triumph I've had but certainly won't be the last. Had decades mainly on Kawasaki fours which I'm still a lover of but I'm enjoying the 955i and will be keeping it for a good while yet. I think eventually I'll probably try the 1050 but my current bike does everything I want.