Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Featured New Owner With Plans For The Cat & Fiddle Pub

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by steve lovatt, May 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else
    Subscriber

May 12, 2014
    Winchester
    This came up on MCN's ride 5000 miles Facebook page today.

Not too much information - but it looks as if this chap (Peter Strutton) may be buying or have bought the pub with interesting plans for the future.

"Cat and Fiddle pub on A537 had seen much better days when we viewed inside with the agents today... now brain whizzing on plans for total re-fit and re-opening specifically for the two-wheeled adventurer! Hopefully seeing architect and talking to Planners tomorrow!"

c.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    sw london
    Saw the title and thought it was going to be your new venture!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    sw london
    Would be good if they were able to have it as a bunk house too

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. andypandy

andypandy First Class Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Interesting. Trouble with the Cat and Fiddle road is it's a bit bleak out of season. So getting sustained year round trade would be a problem. It's fairly local to me but it's not somewhere i'd go between say October and the end of March. Unless........

5. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Member

Apr 20, 2018
    UK
    Its been popular with trail riders in the past - assuming there are still routes legally ride-able the winter season may be OK too ! Main gripe I have over there is the average speed cameras spoiling the landscape and my fun ! Nice in surrounding areas too though - Bakewell Matlock etc..

6. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Crème de la Crème

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Would it be asking too much to take down the SPECS cameras while he's at it.........

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member
    Subscriber

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    We stopped opposite the Cat and Fiddle pub on the 2016 GMU rideout that I lead.

Over the years the A537 has had a reputation of being a very dangerous road with many fatalities, like it or not the cameras are there because of idiots or people riding/driving above their capabilities.

• Like Like x 1
  8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else
    Subscriber

May 12, 2014
    Winchester
    I remember - it was raining!
    IMG_2151.JPG

9. Havit

Havit Very strange Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Carlow
    Twas a good place before camaras: unamused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    It still is a good ride, tho I agree it was better before the cash cams went in but when the road is categorised as having the most crashes and fatalities in Britain the authorities had to act. Thanks to all the TT wannabies going berserk and even filming their own accidents so spectacularly they are the ones who have spoiled it for the rest of us. I was up there a couple of weeks ago riding it from Buxton to Macclesfield and this lad on a Repsol blade rode past the queue of traffic and me to go over the stop line on a red light at the last set of lights before joining the Cat then set off like he was starting a race only to slow down for the first camera. I bimbled off and kept my speedo never reading more than 60 cos the corners are tight and your speed drops to about 35 on some of them and guess who was right in front of me by the time we got to Macc. I think I only used the brakes four times on the whole run, just let the bike roll into the turn and used the gears.
    Be nice to have the pub open again tho :cool:

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. MattChr

MattChr New Member

Apr 23, 2018
    North London
    First time Cat & Fiddle for me today.
    Some of the corner road surface is shockingly bad, wondering if this is the new safety technique to slow ppl down?
    Some stretches it feels like there’s too many cameras and 50 is unjustified - straight, open views, no junctions. NSL (even with cameras) would be more realistic. The real twisters can still be enjoyed enough with 50 limit.