New Motad Bonneville/Thruxton exhausts

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Tigcraft, Mar 26, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Some more add ons to put the record straight.....

Lets not beat about the bush here, I've got these exhausts for the exchange of the use of my bike as a guinnie pig, its cost me a lot of my precious time in delivering and picking up from quite a long way so they've been far from free and therefore I feel I can be honest and nit pick without a biased opinion.

I went out yesterday for an hour or so and this is how the package felt. On initial start up the sound is louder than I actually expected which was in my opinion quite a nice surprise. The first thing I did was ride up a mile long country lane where I live, flat out. The sound was truly brill and I was running with the baffles in. The bike pulled so smooth and sounded so 1960's British that it gave me shivers down my back. I found no flat spots what so ever and when ridden also in steady traffic at 30mph there was no surging, chugging nor any hunting. On the throttle over run there was that nice traditional crackling sound. I'm not sure what I'm about to say next sounds right but it felt like I've more mid range on tap. The bike has been Dyno'd before and after the change of silencers so I'm not sure if there is any logged changes in mid range although only Motad will know. The noise level was bearable after an hours riding although I personally would leave the baffles in place long term as the system is already far louder than the crappy standard silencers from Taiwan.

The fit is good as seen in pics
    IMG_5075.JPG
    IMG_5077.JPG

side and centre stand shots
    IMG_5078.JPG
    IMG_5079.JPG

and last but not least
    IMG_5076.JPG the legal stuff......

IMG_5075.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5078.JPG

IMG_5079.JPG

IMG_5076.JPG

2. motad_uk

motad_uk New Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Walsall
    I am worried that I am "crossing the line" and making the forum a market- so would prefer to discuss sales off line- you can get me on [email protected] but the plan is to sell these at (intitially) £250 a pair + carriage- why so much cheaper than others?- because you are buying direct from the factory and all others have several margins/shipping from far east etc etc to add on

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I'm assuming the baffle is user removable?

4. motad_uk

motad_uk New Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Walsall
    yes- would suggest that you get your butler to leave an allen key just inside the gates to the drive - so you can arrive home at the correct impressive noise level!

• Like Like x 1
  5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Love it mate.

So does James because he is a biker as well ;):D:D

6. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Now now girls!

7. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    What ? What !?

James? He's my butler - of course !

8. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Yep worked him out!

9. Dilwyn

Dilwyn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2014
    haverfordwest
    Tried to fit my second set of Motad silencers today (first pair had no brackets mounts welded on silencers). removed exhaust off bike fitted link pipe and the clamps they supplied are too big and also cannot fit the rubber for side stand stop, so have to send them back again! Now looking for other makes.

10. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Any pictures of the parts? Eric

11. Dilwyn

Dilwyn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2014
    haverfordwest
    IMG_20150724_133335.jpg IMG_20150724_134101.jpg

12. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    You haven't said what model/year/carb/injection you have and by what I can gather you may also have not been clear with speaking to sales at Motad. There is a lot of small variation with these bikes as I found out

13. Dilwyn

Dilwyn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2014
    haverfordwest
    It`s mag wheel Bonneville 63 reg, and that's what they supplied. Their advert was for a mag wheeled Bonneville 09 on, I can`t help it if they supply silencers not finished or incorrect clamps.

14. Dilwyn

Dilwyn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2014
    haverfordwest
    The bolt looks to long because the clamp is the wrong size 43-47mm when a 38-42mm should fit

15. motad_uk

motad_uk New Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Walsall
    Dilwyn- Sorry! we have made a complete "pigs ear" of this. i have already spoken at our end to the relevent people to make sure htis does not happen again- realise your dissapointment and I woule like to apologise directly to you - am only in monday/thursday but please mail me on [email protected] or my mobile is 07707 876988 Ian McDonald

• Like Like x 2
  16. Dilwyn

Dilwyn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2014
    haverfordwest
    Thank you Ian, was disappointed maybe we can start again will email you later. Cheers

17. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It's really great to see a well-known quality manufacturer "holding their hands up" and admitting they could/should have done things better/differently.

Very well done Ian, you have created a lot of good will doing this.

• Like Like x 3
  18. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    well its a start, when we get a report that its sorted and theres something offered for the hassle hes gone through, then its worth a mention.

19. motad_uk

motad_uk New Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Walsall
    I agree- saying sorry is easy but its the sorting out thats the harder bit- we will give it 100%

• Like Like x 1
  20. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I never had any doubt about it.

But saying sorry is like saying "we fucked up and we don't like doing that, so we'll sort". Starting with an acceptance of a mistake usually leads to the supplier doing the right thing.

The most irritating thing is when you know a supplier has mucked up but they won't own up.

• Like Like x 1