New Motad Bonneville/Thruxton exhausts

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Tigcraft, Mar 26, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Ouch !:eek: That was cruel :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Now now! stop the bitching amongst triumph bikers, as our partners say "it's not about the size!! " and I've a sensitive MZ in my fleet somewhere that can hear!!!

3. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    And of course our partners only speak the truth. ;);):rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    ?€%!!&@?!

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    "Dear Mick, in life there are times when others can be a little jealous of - how can one put this - the well-endowed. Just remember that you will have the last laugh - with the Ladeez"

• Like Like x 1
  6. motad_uk

motad_uk New Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Walsall
    this is a forum- not a shop!- so will answer your questions and join the discussion without it looking like marketing.
    We are aiming at a pair of stainless steel silencers to fit standard pipes selling at around £250 inc vat
    We are selling a road legal silencer- that you can modify by taking the baffle out (for off road use only of course!)- so to get power and noise level right the silencers need to be of the right length and volume. We may be longer and give more volume that others available- but these are all not legal/off road use only. We have done this long enough that some people are happy to take the (small) risk of using non legal stuff on the road- what we are doing is giving an option that someone can have a totally road legal silencer for use when they want- and the option of more noise as they decide!

Ian McD

7. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Sorry sir, will refrain from making frivolous remarks about length, etc.

8. motad_uk

motad_uk New Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Walsall
    please don't ! frivolous is good- the day biking is a serious no fun option then we all have a problem

the forum is an open place to exchange views- and take the p sometimes!

just putting forward our thinking

just as an aside- from 30 years of doing this- on the road the mega short systems often feel good, on the dyno it often demonstrates that why it feels good at some points in the power curve is because the over short can has dropped the power down elsewhere in the range, and the boost you feel is simply the engine getting back to standard power outputs.

9. motad_uk

motad_uk New Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Walsall
    we are using a long lasting but much lighter internal baffle- will get some comparative weights up once the design is complete but you can be assured about lighter.
    I don't think (stand ready to be corrected) that there is anyone else offering a road legal silencer with the option to make it noisier- all of the options are "off road use" which in the unlikely event of you being caught at the very least spoils a nice ride!
    I realise that there are loads of shorter/smaller silencers out there- again I am unaware that any are road legal- and because of this the drop in power, is to be fair, minimal. But to get it road legal we need the volume!.
    So we accept that we will not convince all riders- but for anyone wanting to be able to ride using aftermarket silencers without any concerns (however slight) I think we will be the only one. And of course as supplier to the factory of all exhausts until they moved production out of the uk in 2003- we do have some experience with the bikes. In this web based world perhaps the fact that all of our products are made here in the uk counts for less- but we are proud of that and the more uk bits on the bike I think again is an asset (but I am biased!)

and stop all that respect stuff please!- we are all bikers (just that I am getting paid for it!!!) and sorry to say I have got a Ho--- (could not type it- had to stop)

Ian

10. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Ian and first allow me to thank you for contributing to this thread. I've no doubt that you commercial/technical perspective add value for the readers.

I have one question please : you use phrases such as "off road use" and "road legal" - my question is, if your can is "road legal" is it stamped anywhere on the can that it is homologated for road use and has passed the appropriate BSI or EU standard?

Gentle Dave

11. motad_uk

motad_uk New Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Walsall
    Yes Dave- the silencers will have the required three items- the name of the manufacturer, part number and the E number- all stamped into the silencers (with attention given to the styling and the look of course)- there is also a fabrication code so we can keep a track of any silencer and when it was made.
    and just to confirm, our testing has shown that an ecu remap is not going to be required if the baffle is removed (when you are riding up your 2 mile drive to the country estate!)

12. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That's great Ian thank you very much for that. I concur with you that as far as I know there are only two ways of getting an homologated can set, Triumph or Motad.

Just on a personal point, how is the progress of the reverse cone cans for a T100 coming along, please; and when can we get prices?

Cheers and thanks again,

Dave

PS How did you know about the estate drive? It is 4 kms btw.

13. motad_uk

motad_uk New Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Walsall
    will update on developments next week

see? Motad is so Traditional our drives are miles not kms! (nice statues btw)

14. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You see, we've established a baseline for piss-takin' fun - EXCELLENT.

And thanks for the comment about the statues - took a long time and the marble is SOOOOOOH expensive right now.

Did you notice the Henry Moore just in front of the main house?

15. motad_uk

motad_uk New Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Walsall
    SAM_0341.jpg these are the reverse cone- again road legal with removeable baffle for off road use

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    SO.....
    The story continues. Finally picked up my baby yesterday (bonneville). Unfortunately the battery was low even though head light shone bright but as typical CAN-bus crap electrics it wouldn't let me start the bike. "Oh well, be reight a said" in my yorkshire accent. "What does it sound like then?" I asked Ian Howell who designed the silencer, "It sounds like a real triumph should" was his reply. "Good, Ill take ye word fer it!" was my reply.
    They were just doing the last minute juggling heights and (like bigger girls do!) and a final polish on the ramp... IMG_5065.JPG
    We had a chat for a good hour or so and covered everything we could including the reverse cone system they made. To me the reverse cone needed to be thinner and Ian H agreed although it was what they have decided to build along side.

We spoke about the stafford show and other things and Ian H said " oh and I just knocked one of these together for the show..." It was short reverse cone in brushed stainless, very short actually, slight kick up with a horizontal tilt on the cone end. "WOW now thats what I want too!!" Ian H said that they will be making those too (sorry no pics) although those won't be stamped with type approval and could come with a baffle if so wanted.
    Anyway, I put my bike on the trailer and took some pictures of the characters in the factory so you can put a picture to those hard workers
    IMG_5066.JPG The prototype room...

IMG_5067.JPG Proper man at work
    IMG_5068.JPG This one was drinking on the job (POP) but quickly hid it!! (they're gonna kill me!)
    IMG_5069.JPG Selection of Jigs....
    IMG_5070.JPG Past bike old template systems and girl...

So got home, bump started the bike and BLOODY ECK WOW HELL FIRE!! The bike has transformed from what was a paper image of a retro triumph to a real 3D life sounding machine. Ian H was right! What a beautiful sound, just so triumph, deep , throaty and thats WITH THE BAFFLES IN I must say! The best thing is that they are stamped and nice sounding, approved, stainless, no mapping needed and probably better on price than the TORs, and all the rest.

IMG_5065.JPG

IMG_5066.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

IMG_5068.JPG

IMG_5069.JPG

IMG_5070.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  17. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Great stuff, glad you got her back and sounding good, be nice to get a sound recording of them, maybe motad's can do it and post on triumph forums, great promotion if they do!

18. motad_uk

motad_uk New Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Walsall
    I will get out Tech people to do something with the sound files we have

production are working hard on completing the first batches for early next week

• Like Like x 1
  19. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi there, just listened to these two files. The version with baffle sounds good, but the sound without the baffle sounds REALLY original to me. Excellent work, so now the only question is.............................how much, please?