Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by hideout1195, Apr 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Triumph1, and welcome in :cool::cool:
    Start your own intro thread mate rather than jumping on someone else's and you'll likely get far more of a response ;);)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Triumph1

Triumph1 New Member

Apr 29, 2020
    NY
    Thanks for the welcome
    Didnt know I had to start my own intro thread thanks for the tip

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. hideout1195

hideout1195 New Member

Apr 27, 2020
    staten island ny
    Going to be 60yrs old in July so, after riding for the last 40years, decided to trade in my 2014 Rocket Roadster for the new Rocket TFC,#377. I also have been trailering more the last couple years do to all the traffic in the area where I live. Hating more and more riding in a lot of traffic but still love riding in the country very much. So even though the R TFC was expensive, at my age, I decided to look for the best trailer I could find. After looking first at open trailers I began looking at enclosed ones. I did a lot of research and was seriously considering a few open trailers with drive on bed lowering to the ground models(Drop tail, Baxley,Razor,Ramp-Free, Klinger,ect). I really liked the quality of the Baxley. My second choice would have been the Klinger. Both these brands used torsion axle suspension. The Ramp-Free, I eliminated, because it used a leaf spring suspension. Nothing wrong with a leaf spring suspension but a Dexter torsion axle gives a much smoother ride and is more modern. I mean leaf springs have been around since horse and buggy days. So I was about to buy the Baxley or the Klinger. The Klinger was over $1000 less than the Baxley. Baxley has a model that folded up for storage inside a garage, really nice, but the price $5,400. Both Klinger and Baxley were very nice. I was about to purchase the Baxely ground loading fold-up/stand up trailer. At $5,400, I thought what does an enclosed trailer cost. And if I am buying a $32,000 bike, that's what the Rocket TFC cost after prep,freight, optional saddle bags, and back rest do I want to spend $3,000- $5,400 on an open trailer that offers no protection from the weather? Enclosed V-nose trailers cost $4,000- $8,000 or more. But most V-nose enclosed trailers seemed old school. There pretty much horse/utility trailers with the V-nose to accommodate your motorcycles front wheel. Still not much room, in my opinion, at the V-nose part of the trailer for tying down your ride. The construction is basically wood frame and floors with a thin sheet metal exterior. Then I stumbled upon the Ironhorse enclosed trailer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. hideout1195

hideout1195 New Member

Apr 27, 2020
    staten island ny
    At almost 60 years old I have been trailering more and more the last 2 yrs. Not enjoyable anymore riding in the city but still love riding in the country. So after trading in the 2014 Rocket Roadster for a Rocket TFC#377 needed a new trailer. Have been using an old Diamondback tilt bed single trailer which was nice but wanted something a little more substantial. Liked the idea of ground level bed loading trailers. Researched Baxley, Klinger, Ramp=Free, Kendon, Drop-Tail,ect. Bottom line I liked the build quality of the Baxley folding/stand up trailer really nice but $5,400. The Klinger was my 2nd choice, around $1000 less than the Baxley, but it didn't fold up for storage in a garage. The ramp-free was nice but had a leaf spring suspension. Nothing wrong with a leaf spring suspension but it gives a stiff ride and is old school technology. I mean it has been around since horse and buggy days. The Baxley and Klinger both use Dexter torsion axle suspention much smoother ride and very reliable. Was about to buy the Baxley I thought it was a very good quality built trailer and remember it folded up But at $5,400 started looking at enclosed trailers. I mean the Rocket TFC cost $32,000 after all said and done( prep/shipping, optional saddle bags, optional backrest, and 7 yr extended warranty do I really what to trailer the bike exposed to the weather. So started to look for an enclosed trailer. Looked at your standard V-Nose trailers that were between $4,000- $8,000 brand new. But the V-Nose trailers seemed to me old school, wood frame/plywood flooring over a thin sheet metal exterior, steel frame on the bottom. And the v-nose space in front seemed a little tight, in my view, when tying down your ride. Then I stumbled upon the Ironhorse Trailer. They make single, two bike, wide body all enclosed. Although they also make an open trailer. What do I like about Ironhorse? They are all fiberglass shell/body. The frame used to be made of powder coated steel but several years ago switched to aluminum(will never rust) and lighter less weight over all. The fiberglass has a gel coat like used on boats. It comes with specific trailer tires. The back door folds down and is used as a ramp to ride up upon to load your bike. The locking handle is all stainless steel. Has led lighting. I researched the resale value and they hold their value extremely well. If you buy a trailer from them and want to sell it in the future they will list it, for no fee, on their facebook page. You can go there and see how much used trailers sell for. They do not last long. So I purchased their single flip top mode. It cost $6,800 plus $ 200 wheel chock, spare tire and mount, inside electrical outlet for battery tender,ect. All total $7,300. Expensive yes but the build quality is top notch and Jamie from Ironhorse trailers wonderful to deal with. They are a small company located in Tennessee with a loyal following building trailers since,I believe, 2002/2003. I pull the trailer with a Hyundai Sante Fe. I know it costs a lot but well worth it. Good luck.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Triumph1

Triumph1 New Member

Apr 29, 2020
    NY
    Looks like I asked the right dude about a trailer I never used one. Your trailer sounds like some good make. Seems you done your research and know your stuff good. What trailer you use in the other few years before and why get a new one. I see you have a triumph in 2010 what did you have before triumph since riding 40 years. Gonna look into the trailer you said but some sound to much for my blood probably going to go used. Didnt mean to jump your thread thought it was for all newbies didn't know I had to make my own. Feels so different from gixxer but it has plenty of power so Im happy but really havent rode much yet only about 1200 miles. Could pick the front wheel up on this easy and smoke the tire which is what I like and is nice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. hideout1195

hideout1195 New Member

Apr 27, 2020
    staten island ny
    Before 2010 had (2) kawasaki's and my 1st bike was a Triumph 650. Seems like you are a lot younger than me. When you get around my age you will appreciate a trailer. Alway's liked Triumpn had a friend of mine many years ago was a Triumph sponsored 1/4 mile flat track racer. That's how I got started. Google Diamondback motorcycle trailer and checkout how this trailer works. Well I will be selling the Diamondback now that I have the Ironhorse. Safe riding to you and your wife.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    #28 Jadorff, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    I am from Australia and live in Adelaide some great roads to ride here my daughter and son inlaw and grand children live in Oxford Detroit so I have been over there we drove down to New York was a few years ago now. great place though I don't know if I would be doing 70 miles an hour on the freeway with out a Helmet .when I was a kid we didn't have to have them but we do now and having had a couple of bad prangs I like them, enjoy the riding and stay safe

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    I am from Australia and live in Adelaide some great roads to ride here my daughter and son inlaw and grand children live in Oxford Detroit so I have been over there we drove down to New York was a few years ago now great place though I don't know if I would be doing 70 miles an hour on the freeway with out a Helmut when I was a kid we didn't have to have them but we do now and having had a couple of bad prangs I like them enjoy the riding and stay safe

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    don't know how I did that but sorry I posted it twice

11. Triumph1

Triumph1 New Member

Apr 29, 2020
    NY
    any word from dealer about it
    guy I know swears by condor

12. Triumph1

Triumph1 New Member

Apr 29, 2020
    NY
    was looked at the diamond back but dont think it around? nice single trailer might make me think about a single beside a double. how much when you bought new

13. hideout1195

hideout1195 New Member

Apr 27, 2020
    staten island ny
    Yes he made me send him a few pictures of the cradle. He thinks there might be a defect in it. The trailer company I purchased the trailer from fabricates their own wheel chock. So he is sending me a new cradle. I do not think that going to work but I will remain hopeful.

14. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    #34 MyEvilTwin, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    I just bought one of these....fantastic Made in da USA item. Expensive but dealers and track hounds use them. Should be able to take the tire size but if not they have other options on their site. Go with black as the texture helps the "grab"

https://www.baxleycompanies.com/shop/sport-chock/

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Triumph1

Triumph1 New Member

Apr 29, 2020
    NY
    good your getting another one
    why thinking it wont work
    got a picture

16. Triumph1

Triumph1 New Member

Apr 29, 2020
    NY
    nice
    tell the other new dude dugout1159

17. hideout1195

hideout1195 New Member

Apr 27, 2020
    staten island ny
    The trailer company thinks the defect was not the right angle of the tire support on the cradle during manufacturer. Can't tell by the naked eye.That's why I think there just taking a shot that this is the problem. They also told me, to their credit, that if this didn't fix it they will make it right. I believe they will refund me the price of the chock. During my research seems that almost all wheel chocks have a disclaimer( small print) which states, " works on MOST tire sizes". I guess that's their way out for situations like mine.

• Like Like x 1
  18. hideout1195

hideout1195 New Member

Apr 27, 2020
    staten island ny
    Thanks for the info. Great product I almost bought the Baxley open stand up trailer whose quality looks awesome. Same quality on their wheel chocks
    They make a sport chock and (2) so called LA chocks one made just for trailer applications. Now,I like you, am about to buy the Baxley LA chock if my current wheel chock from Ironhorse trailers isn't fixed. But I have to tell you I found a real innovative product in wheel chocks no drilling needed if used in a trailer application. Check it out on boltiton.com. The name is funny because their is no bolting anything when using this product. So,if my chock problem isn't rectified, it will be either a Baxley chock or this new concept boltiton wheel chock system.

19. Triumph1

Triumph1 New Member

Apr 29, 2020
    NY
    dugout
    been talking to the old lady and thinking a small trailer is better ad we will take 1 bike and she'll ride b^%$h
    you got one on hand can I see pictures of the shape maybe we can have a deal thanks

20. hideout1195

hideout1195 New Member

Apr 27, 2020
    staten island ny
    Google diamondback motorcycle trailer and you should see what this trailer looks like. If, after that, you are still interested I will send you photos of my trailer. It is only for a single motorcycle but I used it for my old 2014 Triumph Rocket III a big bike.