New member waiting for 2016 Speed Triple R delivery

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Fazerboy, May 24, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fazerboy

Fazerboy Member

May 24, 2016
    London
    Hi All,

My name's Jack and I've just joined the forum.

I put an order in for a new Speed Triple R in matt graphite and just can't wait for it to be delivered!

Had one short test ride after which I wasn't quite sure but then I asked for a longer test ride (Triumph dealers are great!) and decided to go for it.

I've never owned a Triumph before - mainly had Japanese superbikes. I like the looks and the quality of the finish and components (especially on the R model). The riding position is spot-on for me and the torque is fantastic. I rode along a busy single-carriageway A road and the way it picks off slower vehicles (both singly and in groups) is just amazing. I also found that the LED driving lights were very visible to drivers up ahead as I had lots of people noticeably making room for me to overtake as I came upon them without me riding aggressively close to them - it seemed that the lights were parting the sea ahead of me! The power delivery is so smooth. The way it rolls into and drives out of corners is also so confidence-inspiring and exciting.

I've ordered the low-boy full-system exhaust which I think looks good and apparently sheds about 6kgs and makes a little more power. I know there are cheaper low set slip-ons but I'm happy with my choice (although I haven't seen or heard one yet!).

I've also ordered the Triumph accessory flyscreen visor as I'm not sure how a naked bike like this will cope on long, fast stretches. I fear it spoils the looks of the front end a bit but it might be a case of function over form.

I've gone for the Triumph quickshifter too. I've not had a bike with a quickshifter before and I'm not sure this is the type of bike where a quickshifter is needed but I guess I don't have to use it all the time when just bimbling along.

The dealer can't give me a precise delivery date but hopefully I should get it sometime in June.

I hope to learn from this forum and also to contribute as I gain knowledge and experience. I'm not very computer-literate but I will try and post up pics once I have the bike.

In the meantime any tips and advice will be gratefully received.

I do have a couple of questions for now:

Is there room for a disklock under the seat?

Which paddock stand is recommended? (I have the usual paddock stand for twin-sided swingarms but that's obviously not going to work). I was thinking of going for the Abba stand rather than one of the stands that support the bike using the hole in the rear wheel.
    Cheers

Jack

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hi and welcome to the madhouse Great choice of weapon, hope you don't have to wait too long for delivery. Yes there's room under the seat for a disc lock and most people seem to recommend the abba stand. I've got the fly screen on mine and I think it balances the bike nicely, I always thought it looked as if something was missing before and it does keep the wind off a bit. I've only ridden one bike with a quick shifter, the one in the avatar pic, a S1000RR and I found it addictive. It's so easy to just tap the gear lever without moving the throttle, and you don't have to always be "on it" so to speak ( but it's fookin great when you are ) All we need is more than two dry days together now so you can enjoy it. Have fun.

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Jack and welcome to the Triumph Asylum - excellent choice of new bike. You know we need pics, right?

4. Wasp

Wasp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    Burnley NWUK
    Welcome jack,

Great introductory post. I'm on my second s3, but umpteenth trumpet. The quality is a match for anything else out there, but what stands out for me is the 1050 engine. It's absolutely perfect.

ATB

Bob

5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    I normally say that someone will demand pics but they already have!

6. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Welcome Fazerboy/Jack

A truly lovely bike and wish I could go for a brand new one, but I just love my 2010se too much.

Points to note when collecting it, one previous post mentioned their Speedie wasn't perfect when he picked it up and didnt realise a couple of things until a few days later. (This is the one and only incident I can recall with a Triumph dealer)

So I would say, do give your bike a close check over before signing on the line.
    Things to check may be:
    - Front fork legs may have manufacturing markings, rings that shouldn't be there or scrapes
    - Chain tightness, make sure it is 3-4cm of proper free slack (not just movement)
    - Ask the dealer to set up the suspension for your weight and riding style
    - Make sure the handlebars are angled for your best comfort
    - Ensure all tools are in the tool bag that should be there (ask for a couple of extras maybe)
    - Check the panels aren't touching or scraping against anything that would mark the paint
    - Check ALL the electrics/switches and trip computer
    - Make sure wing mirors are not loose
    - Ensure no leakage around exhaust fittings

This is way overkill really, but you only sign on the line once for a new bike and the next day maybe more awkward to point little things out.

Re stands, I would heartily recomemnd the Abba Skylift, it makes all maintenance so much easier, and with the correct adapters can be used on almost any bike.
    For just the rear stand so you can check the chain, then most single sided swingarm stands will be sufficient (got mine off Amazon for£30) so long as the pin size is correct

I would also suggest you have a chain Scotoiler fitted (with duel nozzle) by the dealer, this will pay for itself in the first year and save a ton of time cleaning then spraying the chain ever couple of hundred miles. Also, the inevitable fling off is so much easier to clean as opposed to chain lube/wax as it is a light oil and comes off when you wash the bike with a normal bucket of water n soap.

• Like Like x 1
  7. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Excellent points there RT :):)

8. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Welcome Jack,
    +1 for the Abba stand here, but browse the forum and you'll find there are other alternatives (here).
    Also +1 for that engine too, it's a gem, mostly under-rated/ignored by the press 'cos it's been around for a while now but perfect for a road bike (IMO). Had quite a few Hinckley Triumphs now and had very few problems (unlike the Multistrada I recently got rid of). The SpeedIII is just the perfect riding position for me if you ride enthusiastically, and the suspension is good if a little firm from a comfort perspective (on UK roads:().
    Seems to be split opinion on the flyscreen visor (again, browse the forum) not tried it myself so can't comment, I prefer the look without it. Also my first time with a full on naked, takes a bit of getting used to but you should be fine up to 80ish but you won't be doing much cruising at 90-100+ for very long, need good neck muscles and helmet is doing its best trying to rip your face off.:)
    Assuming the '16 bike is much the same as my 94R there's plenty of room for a disk lock, you should be able to get your sarnies in there too.
    Enjoy!:D

9. Fazerboy

Fazerboy Member

May 24, 2016
    London
    Thanks to all for the warm welcome and good advice. I will print out Red Thunder's post to take with me when I collect the bike.

I will post up pics in due course...

Jack

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Welcome Jack,I'm sure you will love your new toy,i have an 2014 R which is great, the new 2016 model is supposed to be even better, so lucky you! Scotoilers are great i have mine set pretty low, just enough to lube the chain and the wheels stay pretty clean. I'm not sure about the duel nozzle scotoiler i had one fitted to a vfr and i had problems with it, i think it is only recommended for certain bikes so i would check before you buy. When i bought my bike i asked the Triumph dealer to fit a scotoiler but he wouldn't as he said Triumph don't recommend them for their bikes!,so you might have to fit it yourself or get another bike dealer to fit it. +1 for the Abba stand. i know how agonizing it is waiting on a new bike hopefully it won't be too long :)

11. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Welcome in Jack

12. jonesy

jonesy Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    worcestershire
    Picked mine up yesterday:)
    IMAG1286.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Jonesy that looks bloomin' gorgeous !!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fazerboy

Fazerboy Member

May 24, 2016
    London
    Nice! I can't wait to pick mine up...

The first thing I will do when I get it home is remove those side reflectors

15. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Top tip in the MCN regarding removing the ones on the forks, use dental floss in a cutting action to release the adhesive from the fork leg.

16. Victor

Victor Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    North Wales
    That is one fine looking motorcycle. Did you manage to remove the baffles Jonesy?

17. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yeah I read that as well - good tip.

18. jonesy

jonesy Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    worcestershire
    I'll give it a go Sunday morning I think when I've got time

19. Andy68

Andy68 New Member

May 28, 2016
    Norfolk
    I waited six weeks for mine. Had it two weeks now and enjoying it.
    One point, the manual for the R states the quickshifter is fitted as standard. I pointed this out to my dealer and awaiting their response. I do not have a quickshifter yet.
    Page 70 of your manual.

Only issue i have noticed is the battery cover is a poor fit and actually touches the tank paintwork. In time it will mark the paint. Waiting for first service then i may put some paint protection tape on the tank where the cover touches the tank.

20. Fazerboy

Fazerboy Member

May 24, 2016
    London
    Supposed to be picking up my bike tomorrow but rain is forecast and I am a little concerned about riding it with brand new virtually slick tyres (Supercorsas?) on it...

I have not ridden on such sporty rubber before. Had Blades and other sporty stuff but all those had road-oriented sports rubber rather than what seem to be basically track tyres. There is no tread at all on the shoulders.

Will I be ok in the rain or shall I postpone collection to a dry day?

Cheers

Jack