New member needs help with fuel gauge not working

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Matt800xc, Apr 3, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    The wires you can see I can only imagine is for fuel pump only a feed wire and a earth wire I cannot see that the tank is earthed on its fixing to the frame of bike.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
  3. Matt800xc

Matt800xc Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Rothwell
    Thanks for putting so much effort into this , wires , two wires go to fuel pump and two wires go to float , both on female connectors , the only other connection is the fuel pipe , bike runs ok so fuel pump connection is good , i presume you think the earyh is bad on the float , ive had the float out and tested its resistance and it is spot on so now the earth wire on the loom side must be bad , is that what your thinking , so i add an earth wire to the black one and it should work , yes ?

4. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    No it looks as if it has a feed wire going into sensor measure voltage in and measure voltage out of sensor with a digital volt meter as you move float up and down voltage should alter on one wire and the other wire should read a constant voltage ecu sends message to instrument pack.

5. Matt800xc

Matt800xc Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Rothwell
    It works on resistance and ive slready measured it and all is good with the float.

6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    At this point I would have bought a dipstick!! I hate lectrix!

7. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Can you tell me what DC voltage you have got going to sensor on pink and green wire with a digital voltmeter with ignition on ?

8. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    #48 PETER CLARKE, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    I have only a low fuel light on my bike when light comes on I put petrol in who needs a gauge, my previous bike had no light or gauge just a reserve tap when petrol runs out turn to reserve, why is life getting more complicated:( now on today's bikes you have a sensor a electronic engine control module a Can bus and a digital display and hard wiring all to control a fuel gauge the technology has gone berserk.

9. Matt800xc

Matt800xc Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Rothwell
    No idea mate , im not taking it ti bits again until i need to .

10. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    OK Matt if you have not tried it yet then i think when you get tank off again in the future just check to see what voltage you have there, you never know it may just start working again without doing anything:).

11. Matt800xc

Matt800xc Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Rothwell
    Well everyone , mr steve lovatt was the closest , changed left hand switch gear as thats the one with clutch sensor attached and yipee ! Dodgy sensor so theres a lesson for us all, well done steve for being on the ball,went for a ride in the sleet andvrain and fuel gauge is working

• Like Like x 2
  12. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Yippee !!!!!! Well done Matt :):):):)

And well done to Mr Steve LOVATT.

13. Matt800xc

Matt800xc Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Rothwell
    Next problem , has anyone stalled a tiger xc and then had a slow start problem , as if battery is flat , ? Only happened a couple of times , just thought id ask ...

14. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    A friend of mine :cool: has stalled his 800 several times but had no slow start issues:oops::oops:

15. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    May be worth checking and cleaning frame / earth connnections

16. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Well spotted Steve I would never of thought a clutch lever switch would have any connection to a fuel gauge I have no understanding why it should ??? saved Matt from buying a new jap bike.

• Like Like x 2