New Electrics On An Old Bike.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Sprinter, Jan 24, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Cheers.
    I am looking to swap out a few things on the 78 Suzuki GS, fingers crossed. I would like to add L.E.D. lights and indicators. I know you need resistors on the indicators and I have those.
    My question is, do I need resistors on a number plate light or a rear/brake light?
    I have the lights ordered and would like to get ahead with the other parts I may need.

2. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#2 Cyborgbot, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2021
    The resistors are only necessary on indicators if the relay/computer can’t cope with the reduced load. It can confuse the canbus into thinking the bulb is broken, or if an indicator, might not be balanced with the relay and result in the bulb flashing too fast.

I got some after market led indicators and side lights. Unfortunately they are incompatible with the bikes system as the waterfall movement doesn’t have time to complete. There was no option to extend the duration of a flash by half a second or so.

Now in the process of building an arduino controller to manage them (and all the other lights).

FE6BB41C-C538-4C0A-8635-6B28162E2B8F.jpeg

Had fun designing the circuit board...

PS: don’t laugh at the shite soldering!!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Dont laugh at me not noticing any faults with the soldering.:):) Thanks for the answer, looks like some of the members on here are clever people, after all. I would like to see how this turns out for you.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Iron

Iron Guest

I think, on a 1978 machine, you should be ok with everything other then the turn signals. The indicator's relay work by an electric magnet closing and opening a switch, the coil on the magnet is driven by diodes ? that require a certain amount of power draw to operate - that draw is caused by the two indicator bulbs (2 on the left, 2 on the right). LEDs don't draw a lot of power so the resistors increase the draw and therefore make the relay magnet work.
    The other electrical items (headlight, brake light, tail light) are either on or off, controlled by a switch. There's no computer con-bus wizardry on a 78 machine just normal wiring and switches. So all other electrical items should be fine.
    Easy to find out anyhow, just wire the new tail light up as normal and see if it works.

You can see how clever Cyborgbot is just by not understanding what he's doing (I've no clue at all, especially with the keyboard there) :) I can just about solder two wires together let alone a circuit board - jeez.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #5 Pegscraper, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    A bit of a PITA when you have to faff about like this to add things to your vehicle's electrical system but I guess all this electronicery is here to stay and another reason I'm hanging on to my '98 TD SUV. The only electronics in it are the radios. As far as the Suzuki GS goes, no such problem. Ahhhh....those were the days, no ECU's, engine management or emissions crap, just good old ignition coils, CV carbs and a free flow exhaust. Yes please.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I ordered a few bits to put on and fill my days when I heard I was furloughed, this could so easily get very expensive very quickly so I think this will be the extent of the GS spoiling for the winter.
    Its a real pleasure to ride, even in the unfinished state, and the simplicity is a large part of that, I've no doubt.
    Thank you for your corroboration and explanations.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    there is a really simple way to fix overflashing led. Just swap the blinker relay for an electronic one. it's inexpensive and plug and play.
    The difficult part is to find the correct one. Worst case, take any an rewire the pins.
    As example CF13 JL02, CF13 GL02 (the one for triumph), etc

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I have LEDs on my Trident T160 ...no indicators and if you look you will find a lot of the indicator LEDs have the resistors built in these days so straight fit without new relay.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1