New Discs - Balance Wheel?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by TonyG, Dec 31, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Hi,

If you replace your discs is there any need to check the wheel balance? I wouldn't have thought so but saw it advised on another forum.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Personally I wouldn't bother and haven't done in the past. The relatively light weight of the disc along with it's position on the wheel makes any weight imbalance negligible. JMO

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The requirement for the disc's to be a good fit and machined to a very high std of sizing compliance (same thickness throughout circumference)
    They would be perfectly balanced too !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Ideally yes, from a true engineering sense especially if in practice you go really fast (rotation rather than road speed).
    Practically no, within normal speed limits and road use.

You don't state the vehicle or intended use/speed (rotationally) of the equipment so a bit of assumption is required to answer.

5. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Thanks all.

It is a Thruxton 1200 and would be used for fast road riding, maybe a track day.

I assumed the discs should be perfectly balanced as well so not really necessary to check the wheel for balance once fitted.

6. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    There is no need to re balance the wheels after changing either front or rear discs, the only thing I would say is the OEM bolts come pre thread locked, therefore you will either have to buy a new set for each disc, or thoroughly remove all traces of the old thread lock and use Loctite or a similar brand, don't be tempted to re use the original bolts as they come out and just just re torque.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    I decided to treat myself to a set of titanium disc bolts, and they came pre thread locked as well. I might also get a thread chaser to clean out the mounting holes but not too worried about that.
    Thanks

• Like Like x 2