Featured Tiger Explorer New Brake And Clutch Levers

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by David Gower, Jul 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Gower

David Gower Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Warminster, Wiltshire, Uk
    Ever since riding the Tiger 1200 for the first time I have found the clutch lever to be too wide on the span for my small fingers even on setting 4.

I recently ordered a set of LSL levers from SP Engineering, Frome. I will find out how good they are tonight when I ride to Poole bike night. But initially they look and feel brilliant.

63EA70F8-DE0D-419A-8728-2C90BFBF663A.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. David Gower

Jan 12, 2019
    To put it bluntly ....

The levers are awesome ... Lots of adjustment for the shorter span

• Like Like x 4
  3. Malcj

Malcj New Member

May 3, 2019
    Euxton, Lancs
    Had a similar issue with the clutch lever position on my 2017 Explorer XRT. A set of somewhat cheaper than LSL levers have helped the issue significantly. Unfortunately, they haven't done anything to help the excessive travel on the front brake lever before anything happens. Even on setting 6 the lever threatens to trap my remaining fingers (two finger braking) under hard braking. Dunno if it's an Explorer problem, or just my bike. Tried many things to improve it, but no joy. Any thoughts ?

4. David Gower

Jan 12, 2019
    Unfortunately its a case of checking bit by bit.

It wont be the brake lines as they a braided.

Check the pads have enough pad left.

Check the discs aren't dished (worn in the middle of the contact patch) and check they aren't below minimum thickness with a micrometer.

Clean the brake calliper pistons and ensure they aren't sticking.

Re-bleed the brake system (Replace the brake fluid).

If that's all good and you still have the issue, then your looking at the master cylinder rebuild.

But to be honest on a 2017 I shouldn't expect any of these issues ... How many miles have you done? I would have taken the bike back to Triumph. When does your warranty run out?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Malcj

Malcj New Member

May 3, 2019
    Euxton, Lancs
    Yeah, tried all the above, except the master cylinder rebuild. It's an odd thing, brakes are plenty powerful enough,but don't operate soon enough. 20,000 miles on it now, only had it a few months. My first foray away from sport bikes and I'm amazed at how capable the thing is, in all situations. Think I'll go for the m/s rebuild this winter.

• Like Like x 2
  6. RockOrSomething

RockOrSomething New Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Long Beach CA
    @David Gower

What year is your 1200?
    I have a 2019 1200 XCa and need to replace the clutch lever for the same reason you did.
    I went to the same website you recommended but did not see any levers that specifically fit my bike - neither LSL nor SP Engineering has emailed me back.

Thank you

7. David Gower

Jan 12, 2019
    Hi .. Mine is Tiger 1200 XRT registered in Dec 2017 so its a 2018 model. ... I can't see why yours would be any different. Best thing to do is check if they are the same, at your local dealer ...

8. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    Evotech do them got the Gen 3 (2018 onwards). Bit dear but nice.

Triumph Tiger 1200 XCA Folding Clutch and Brake Lever set 2018+
    Regular Price£115.00 Incl. VAT

Product Ref : PRN002451-003233-03

9. john naunton

john naunton New Member

Dec 3, 2020
    Essex, England
    I have just received the £50 adjustable / foldable levers from Jaybeebiker Bits and first impressions are really good ...will update after I have fitted them

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1