New Boy With A 1959 Bitsa

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Easily distracted, Mar 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Easily distracted

Easily distracted New Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Cambridge uk
    Thanks for the tip decrepetus

I have various parts manuals on pdf and the haynes manual. The issue is that because its a bitsa i cant immediately be sure of the year of a part so have to do a sherlock on what ive got. Im also not worried too much with originality which is why this one suited me vs spending twice the price on a matching numbers job. Im much happier cocking about with something like this and leave the valuable stuff to the experts... i need to strip the front hub to check the brakes so will check the spindle etc once its stripped. My gut feel is that the wheel assembly and the yokes are different years which is where the issue could be.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Easily Distracted
    The TOMCC CLUB. will date the machine. Think it costs £10 and they will tell you engine and frame year.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Easily distracted

Easily distracted New Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Cambridge uk
    Cheers Joe

ive dated the frame to october 1959 and the engine is june 1971... trouble is that over the 60 years its been on the road people have changed quite a few bits so its difficult to see what is “original” which is where the fun starts lol...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Easily Distracted
    The bike looks good to me. So if you want something concurs then it is worth searching. But my two pence you have a lovely classic bike and if it rides good. Go out and enjoy it mate. Well after the lock down.
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

6. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    You might see if you can find someone nearby to machine up some proper spacers to correct that fork problem. I do my own small jobs like that, but I realize not everybody has the equipment. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Easy and welcome to the forum :)