Featured New Bonnie

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Woodtickgreg, Jan 7, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Woodtickgreg

Woodtickgreg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    #61 Woodtickgreg, Apr 12, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
    I had an issue when I went to install the givi rack, the front 2 bolts do not line up with anything and theres no bolt holes on the inside as the pic in the instructions show. Even if there was holes there the fender is in the way To late for me to return it now. So check yours for fit as soon as you get it. nicely made rack but it does not fit my 2023 T120. My only option now is to cut the mounting brackets off the front and weld them back on to the outside of the rack so the shock bolt will hold it on. I'll post pics when I do this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Spike1956

Spike1956 Member

Apr 8, 2023
    Manchester UK
    Well that’s a bugger, hopefully it will all be alright on the night.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    The electronics on the new Bonnie's are self learning. So running won't be an issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    Well I got another 100 mile ride in today, the weather was delightful and in the low 70s. I met a Christian motorcycle club today and the pastor blessed the bike and I. The more I ride this bike the more I love it, I have no regrets, I made the right decision. I absolutely love the big lump of an engine it has, it's all I need. I love it's small size and super easy ridability. It's not like most big bikes that I have had that where work to ride, big heavy and took effort to turn. This one is a joy. Triumph absolutely got this modern retro classic right. I cant find any fault in it for me. I'm so happy I decided to give this bike a go.
    I do need to give the new Burly panniers a good coat of wax so I can get them installed, I need some place to carry stuff. And I need to find some time to modify the givi rack I have so I can get it installed to. But when I have time to work on it I jump on the bike and ride away instead, lol.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    So great that you are loving your Bonnie, Greg! :) It's clear you made the right choice. Seems the wait was worth itand tgat your patience paid off. Ride on! :cool: And ride happy! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    So here's the update on the Givi rear rack. Their website says it fits, it clearly does not. It states it's for a 2016 and up T120. It does not even come close to fitting on the inside of the frame at the shock mounts, and even if it did the fender would be in the way. I purchased this on Amazon in January and now it's been to long to send it back. So what to do, scrap it and buy something else? I think not. So I set the rack on the bike where it's supposed to go and took another look at it to figure out what my options where. The 4 rear bolt holes lined up perfectly. So it looked like if I cut the brackets of from the inside of the rack and welded them to the outside it might attach under the shock bolt with the pannier racks, it did!
    20230508_063248.jpg
    Moved the brackets from the inside to the outside.
    20230508_063234.jpg
    Now I just need to get it dropped off to the powdercoater.
    20230508_063221.jpg
    I'm making a video of this rework and I'll post it here when it's done if anyone is interested in seeing the process.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    Well I dropped the rack off at the powdercoater. He said they are really backed up, at least 10 days, I heard that as 2 weeks plus. Then we chatted for a bit, I've been doing business with this guy for a long time. He said he was going in for surgery tomorrow, I asked what for? He said to remove a tumor in his gut, he said it was cancer, that scared me. He was still working his butt off, spraying paint because he can't keep a worker. I said it's the same where I work, no one really wants to work except the old guys like me.
    So since it's going to be awhile before I can get the rack back and installed I decided to hang the Burley bags so I can at least use them.
    I think they look good and still maintain the classic look.
    20230510_200202.jpg
    Not too wide.
    20230510_200225.jpg
    And plenty of room for a passenger.
    20230510_200251.jpg
    I may come up with something different for the straps that attach them to the pannier brackets.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Spike1956

Spike1956 Member

Apr 8, 2023
    Manchester UK
    I have the same T120 as you, I have the Triumph leather panniers, they look ok. Tomorrow I'm having Black dresser bars and spot lights fitted, also Predator Pro exhaust pipes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    I've got some stainless engine guards I'll be putting on. It'll be awhile before I do anything with the exhaust due to the fact that the cat is now a welded affair and the header pipes are very pricey. If I'm going to change the mufflers I want to de cat it as well so it really sounds and flows good. I like the sleeper pros so they stay nice and low and retain the classic look.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    I did 266 miles on the Bonnie today, it was awesome! I had to stop 3 times to clean my helmet shield, bugs where really bad today, lol. I hit a couple and it felt like someone threw a marble at me!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Spike1956

Spike1956 Member

Apr 8, 2023
    Manchester UK
    Some of those flying Beatles are like stones being thrown. At leased you did that thing and had a good day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    I picked up the modified givi rack from the powdercoater and got it installed today.
    20230527_101840.jpg
    It came out really nice, he sandblasted the whole thing to remove the factory powdercoat and recoated it. It looks factory new.
    20230527_101855.jpg
    It fits the bike well now and clears the seat too.
    20230527_170334.jpg
    I really like the size of this rack because it's not to big. I have a top box bracket that will go on it also.
    20230527_170345.jpg
    Overall I think it looks good, not to big or flashy.
    20230527_170402.jpg
    It gives the tailight and turn signals some protection too.
    20230527_170411.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. Mongoose

Mongoose Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2023
    Georgia
    Congrats on the new Bonnie. Come on down to Gawga and ride the twisties!!!The Mad Mongoose....OUT!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    #74 Woodtickgreg, May 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    Today I installed a motone customs engine guard. It's stainless steel and connects in the center with an internal sleeve so it's a little more robust than just relying on the mounting bolts. I like that it's smaller than most of the guards out there, kinda stays with my minimalist theme so far, lol.
    20230529_140743.jpg
    I like how they kinda hug the bike and don't stick out to far.
    20230529_140732.jpg
    I think there's still enough room to mount some small auxiliary driving lights to them. Maybe 3" size.
    20230529_140722.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    And since I was wrenching and adding accesories I I stalled a Madstad windshield. It's a quick release mount so it can be taken off in seconds. It's also adjustable for height and angle with 2 knows. I ordered the shortest windshield they off since I'm not real tall, I look over the top of the shield. Their windshields are designed to let some air flow under the windshield to reduce wind buffeting and allow the wind to flow over the top of your head, very cool design. They make them to order, took a few weeks to get it.
    Its bigger than a little fly screen but not to big.
    20230529_140757.jpg
    Here you can see the angle is about the same as the fork legs, this is just a starting point as it can be fine tuned to adjust the wi d flow very easily with the 2 knobs.
    20230529_140807.jpg
    View from the cockpit. I look over the top of the shield. This should be very helpful on high speed highways keeping a lot of the wind blast off of me.
    20230529_140818.jpg
    The bike goes in in 2 weeks for its obligatory first service.
    I've really been making the bike mine.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Spike1956

Spike1956 Member

Apr 8, 2023
    Manchester UK
    It all looks good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    #77 Woodtickgreg, May 30, 2023
    Last edited: May 30, 2023
    Well I went out for a little ride after dinner, hit the 600 mile break in mark, she's ready for the first service now.
    The windshield works fine where it's at but I may try and lower it a little and lean it forward a bit. It's probably going to take some fiddling to get it just right. I took it on the expressway and ran it up to 70mph and it wasn't wobbling my head all over, I could feel it but it was way better than without the windshield.
    70 mph in 6th gear and it was only turning 3,000 rpm.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    Well the bonneville goes in for its first service today, just over 600 miles. Taking a trip in two weeks so she'll be ready to go.
    Man I love this bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    Service bill. I'll be doing my own maintenence going forward. The dealer just said save my receipts and they will reset the service notification on the clocks for free. They said this will also enter my info into the triumph data bank.
    $35 was for a t shirt, lol.
    20230610_192329.jpg

20230610_192201.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. BradBlue

BradBlue New Member

Feb 7, 2023
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I just dropped mine T120 off for the first service Saturday as well.

My bill looked just like yours, and I was SHOCKED!!!

$400 for oil change and safety check - it seemed like a lot to me.

• Agree Agree x 4