New Bonneville T-100 Owner In Socal

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Docsabre, Feb 3, 2024.

1. Docsabre

Docsabre New Member

Feb 3, 2024
    California
    So I’ve been riding motorcycles since 1966 and have owned over 30-40 bikes including Yamahas, Suzukis, Hondas (my favorite), Kawasakis, and exactly one Vespa (the bike that draws the most chicks) and one BSA. Back in the summer of 1970 I had been dying to own an oil leaking, Lucas electric demon possessed used Bonneville 650 (going price $600) but every want ad I responded to said the bike was already sold. Lucky me! I found a BSA Hornet that became the most hated bike I ever owned. Thats a whole different story.
    Fast forward to December 2023 and I found a 2006 T-100 for a steal. All it needed was a carb overhaul and a new crankcase position sensor to make it run….sort of. After my professional mechanic reworked the carbs, checked the valve clearance and put in a new GPS, it was good to go.
    Rode it home in a pouring rainstorm yesterday and it only died once. Rode it today and it has only died once. If this can’t be sorted out someone else will be the happy owner of this bike along with two or three of the other bikes in my garage (1976 BMW R-90/6, 1993 Honda CB750 Nighthawk all in perfect running condition) and I’ll maybe get something else I’ve always wanted and get that out of my system.
    Honestly, I really want to like the T100 but my 6’5” frame finds it cramped. I like the torque and handling better than the R-90/6. Perhaps I'll get a later model T-120.

IMG_7477.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. TaffD

TaffD Member

Jul 17, 2023
    Hereford
    Hi Docsabre, welcome to the forum

• Like Like x 1
  4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Docsabre :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 First Class Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    Eyup.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Greetings from Lincolnshire.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    Hi there! Welcome to the forum! ;)
    Enjoy your bike!

• Like Like x 1
  8. MICK LEONARD

MICK LEONARD Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    SOUTH COAST UK
    Hi welcome from the south coast UK

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome. I’m guessing as you have joined the forum you are planning on another triumph :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Docsabre

Docsabre New Member

Feb 3, 2024
    California
    I have three friends living in the south outside of London. I met them on a bike holiday in 2017. (My mate and I keep older BMW R1100GS bikes stashed in Germany). We meet up with them every summer when we return to Europe for a month of riding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Docsabre

Docsabre New Member

Feb 3, 2024
    California
    I will keep the T100 for a while and see about a later model T120 later.

12. Martine

Martine Senior Member

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    Welcome! Thanks for a great intro and pic. I hope you try a T120. I love my T100 but I'm a foot shorter than you (and it never dies on me)! I also rode (and still do every blue moon) a 1993 Nighthawk (but a 250) and absolutely love that bike. You sound a whole lot like another person I know from SoCal, my handsome husband. He also started riding around 1966, talks about his former BSAs, etc. Hope you enjoy the forum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Docsabre

Docsabre New Member

Feb 3, 2024
    California
    Here’s a short video of the bikes in my garage now. I also have a VStrom in the Nashville area and a BMW in Heidelberg Germany I use for my European trips.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/fWK3Yph4X9Y?feature=shared

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Hi Docsabre and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear of the fact that your T100 has died a couple of times. I had exactly the same thing on my 2005 T100 several years ago. This also happened when riding in the rain.

It turned out that the problem was that the vent from the fuel tank was being blocked by spray and road muck.

To solve it have a look underneath the bike, there should be (I think) 3 open rubber tubes in the area of the centre stand, at the rear of the engine. Identify the fuel tank vent pipe, make sure it is clear and then cut the end of the pipe at 45 degrees so that the lower end of the cut is to the front of the bike.

It appears that when you are riding in wet weather road spray can cause a vortex effect on the end of a straight cut pipe and cause it to block. That causes a vacuum in the tank and prevents fuel from flowing to the carbs. - That's the theory anyway and it worked for my bike, I never had another problem with the bike cutting out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Hi Docsabre and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear of the fact that your T100 has died a couple of times. I had exactly the same thing on my 2005 T100 several years ago. This also happened when riding in the rain.

It turned out that the problem was that the vent from the fuel tank was being blocked by spray and road muck.

To solve it have a look underneath the bike, there should be (I think) 3 open rubber tubes in the area of the centre stand, at the rear of the engine. Identify the fuel tank vent pipe, make sure it is clear and then cut the end of the pipe at 45 degrees so that the lower end of the cut is to the front of the bike.

It appears that when you are riding in wet weather road spray can cause a vortex effect on the end of a straight cut pipe and cause it to block. That causes a vacuum in the tank and prevents fuel from flowing to the carbs. - That's the theory anyway and it worked for my bike, I never had another problem with the bike cutting out.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Martine

Martine Senior Member

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    I know we're on a Triumph forum but please tell me more about the Honda with the Rotopax mounted on the back. Your garage looks a bit like ours (Norton, 2 Triumphs, HD, 2 Yamahas, 2 Hondas, etc.) except MUCH cleaner and roomier. Sacrificing/selling a vintage P24 Crescent planer (it's monster big and beautiful) to make more room!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Docsabre

Docsabre New Member

Feb 3, 2024
    California
    The rack I purchased from Amazon. There are lots of styles and prices for my Honda CRF250L. Rotopax sells the mounting plates and locking mechanisms to attach to the rack.

IMG_7708.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  18. Martine

Martine Senior Member

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    Yup, understand the Rotopax and rack (have an identical one on my Yamaha XT250). Do you ride your CRF much? Where? Just caught my eye in the video because I'm new to riding offroad as of 2021. I admit I enjoy my Triumph on the road more but that's mostly because I'm not adept offroad and at 55 I no longer think I'm indestructible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jackyma09

jackyma09 Member

Aug 10, 2023
    New York, USA
    Hey Docsabre!
    Welcome to this forum

• Like Like x 1
  20. Docsabre

Docsabre New Member

Feb 3, 2024
    California
    I think I ride the CRF the least of all my 9 bikes. But that’s because I don’t get as much time to ride as I’d like. I am busy helping my kids and grandkids. I had plans to use it to do the TransAmerica trail or the Rocky Mountains from Mexico to Canada. I hope to take it to the desert soon but all the rain has been preventing that.

• Like Like x 1