Featured Tiger 800 New Bike For Me

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Andy-K2, Aug 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Knowledge is power for which I have neither!

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Well, picked up my bike on Tuesday and as many have said Steve Foster is a proper gent and extremely helpful and to be fair so has Blade Swindon although I have had some small issues that I believe should never been let slide with a bike around 12k well any bike to be fair.

Story goes (if you like a read?) I had the talk from Steve Foster how everything works etc and also warned me about the mirror arms are a pain and come loose if you pull on them, no problem I thought so I rode up the rode about 100 yards and the mirror swung around so I had to go back to have it spannered up. The ride home was enjoyable and uneventful, when I got home I admired the bike on the drive and noticed the screen had a 4" scratch that was almost invisible along with a missing washer that made the screen loose and rattle, next was the registration plate is delaminating by 3-4" which should have been noticed when the fitter handled and fitted surely? also now I am finding that the bike cuts out and stalls for no reason, at first I thought it was me, new bike strange clutch etc but this is not the case, twice this morning it stalled, once at the lights and once when coasting a little to give way, I noticed also that the rev counter shown the rpm bouncing the revs from 1100 - 1600 rpm. I of course checked Google and found there was an issue with the Tiger but apparently this was sorted with an updated map but I guess mine missed the memo :confounded: . I am very disappointed with their quality control however Steve Foster has been on the ball, he offered to collect the bike, sort it and redeliver however this is my only transport (available to me) for work so this offer didn't fit with my schedule so I will make a "snagging list" for my first service. Oh yes, their big boss was going to call me but I declined so overall I cant fault the sales team (Steve) but ****** off with the service guys.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I’ve found that after the break in service I am better off doing my own work. No one will take better care of your baby than you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    to be honest I think I agree with you. I have always looked after my bikes, my GSXR 1000 in-particularly oil and filter change every 3 months etc, the Bonneville wasn’t as regular but still cared for. I would worry about the warranty though but after that expires I will be looking after her. Rudeboy (my cousin) is a mustard mechanic so I can get help with the complicated stuff like putting oil in he can’t help himself, any bike work and he’s over with his box of tools for the job, I’m just the operating nurse when he holds his hand out “scalpel”

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Nicely worded there Andy and yes it is all about the good feel factor when you do it yourself

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    The latest

Went into Blade Triumph Swindon on recommendation and bought a new Triumph Tiger 800XCa, a cash purchase but that makes no difference as they get paid no matter what. The salesman Steve was spot on and cant fault him however that's were my good experiences stop, sadly.

I was supplied a new bike with a scratched and loose screen, a faulty number plate and a bike that kept stalling for no reason (not me either), I called and this was put right on my first service, well all but the stalling. I mentioned to the service manager that they must know something about the stalling issues as I've even read about them on the 800 forums, I was told to put some symptoms into the NHS website and spend a week in hospital as I would be falling apart according to a forum... Not a bad opinion for someone spending 12k on a bike. With the customer service I have had so far I decided to check to confirm that the DataTag system had been registered in my name as I had not had any confirmation from Datatag to date, according to DataTag they have had no notice from the dealer so I contacted them and at present still waiting for an email to say all is well, same with the two year RAC assist, not had an email from them with with my membership number.

The final straw, today was the first ride since my service, BOTH of my seats were not fitted correctly, the rear seat did not have its lugs located correctly so I was able to lift the pillion seat from the middle although was held in place by the seat lock however the riders seat was somehow not located at all and was able to lift away as it was just resting on top of its location....

Can I take my bike to any Triumph dealer for warranty work?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Yes you should be able to take your bike to any Triumph dealer, but they may put their owner customers top of the list for any servicing and warranty work.
    When you picked your bike up you should have had all the info from Datatag and Triumph Assist Card from your dealer.

With regards to your bike stalling the service manager is talking bollocks there is documented evidence on the Tiger 800 forum. I know two of the owners who are suffering with this problem and it’s genuine.
    If the problem persists and you get no joy with your useless dealer contact Peter Clarke at the Triumph factory he’s the person to talk to according to the Tiger 800 forum.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Tiglet, thank you so much for the info, you are a star.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Well, the bike is now back at the dealers. Blade Swindon insisted that the bike be recovered by the RAC and taken to them and just had a call to confirm arrival. Service manager said he road it down the road and had no issues, maybe because it was cold I said. Was also told by someone at Blade its stalling because of the way I ride, I blip the throttle on changing down and apparently this is incorrect for modern fuel injected bikes as it over fuels them so I asked if the bike had a slipper clutch to be able to deal with the RPM differences by a violent gear change down the box, went all quiet after that....

Its BS after BS and its getting annoying.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Well after 4-5 months of back and forth to Blade with my stalling issue and involving Peter from Triumph GB with endless failings from Blade I asked him if I could take it to Fowlers of Bristol for them to look at it. Didnt take Fowlers long to work out the Adaptions were not done properly and nor was the bikes setup from new. The stalling issue was found to be an ill fitting Throttle Body that was letting additional air into the manifold. NOW its a different bike altogether and now worth the 12K I paid for it. I did consider trading it in but was offered £8600 for my 69 registered 1500mile bike against a 2020 Z900RS so you can guess what I said to them :)

Anyway, now a happy chappy and Fowlers if your reading this THANK YOU,

And a huge thank you to Tiglet for giving me support and Peter Clarkes details. You the Man.:cool:

• Like Like x 9
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Glad everything has worked out for you Andy and you can now start to enjoy your Tiger :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Thank you and yes the bike is a totally different ride and hoping that is the end of my issues and I can finally enjoy every second on it. Bring on the sunshine. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Oh no I might have to blow the dust off the old seized up rusty Thruxton

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    About time there fella, poor bike has forgotten that its wheels go round and round :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    The misses just refers to it now as an expensive toy that never gets played with

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Shes not talking about the bike mate :joy:

• Funny Funny x 4