Featured New Acquisition

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by joe mc donald, Jul 31, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sandi T
    Yes as for the boxes i am still undecided if they will get full use or not. The fairing i will leave on as the headlamp is poor condition. One box has a lock that wont work. I have it running now but think the carbs will need a clean and possibly the tank as it was stored for some years. But i will ride it for a while then when i retire i am going to restore it completely.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    You Know i meant to give Cosmo Classics a shout. 21B Marina, Saint Leonards-on-sea TN38 0DP I purchased the bike from him. And what a genuine dealer and motorcyclist he is and very caring. So if you live that way and like classics drop in and say Joe McDonald has sung his praises.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Here is my bike people. Cleaned up a bit and running sweet. Still have to do the boxes as they have lost the clear coat on the black half will post those later. Going tomorrow thumbnail (14).jpg thumbnail (13).jpg thumbnail (12).jpg thumbnail (11).jpg to pick up some leaded petrol and perhaps Tuesday i may get a spin on it.
    Joe

• Like Like x 4
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    • Like Like x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Wessa
    Thanks so much. Has a few jobs that need to be tarted up but i will concentrate on them over the next couple of winters.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Well update on my newly acquired Bonnie. It started to run really bad a couple of months ago. Then burning the plugs black. I tried everything you could do to the carbs and still the same. So in frustration i sent it to Meriden Motorcycles. They tried and together we decided to change the electrics with a new ignition system. As i would not listen to Jon the chap working on the bike who said there was something wrong with the carbs that he had cleaned and set up. So he fitted new carbs. Got the bike back running sweet as you would like. Took it to the H Café today and low and behold it started playing up again. Just got home and find it has gone back to misbehaving. At a loss here and wish I'd never seen the thing.
    Joe thumbnail (5).jpg thumbnail (2).jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Hard to tell but could be valves, air /fuel mixture assuming it's not running extremely rich as you've sorted the carbs? Hard to tell whether it's wet or dry soot from the photos, if it's worse one side of plugs than the other it's probably valves.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    Easy for me to say, but if it feels right when it’s running well, then stick with it… I’m sure you can work it out!
    Take it easy Joe!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    I should talk to Meridens before you dig into it yourself Joe......

• Like Like x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes did talk to Meriden. But the bike was sweet as when i got it home and decided to remove the fairing and replace the headlamp and lighting switch. Cleaned all the connectors and replaced a couple. Found that the lighting switch i bought was faulty so put the old one back on and once again sweet as. Also had to check the ignition switch as some connectors were loose. So pray its good again. Also found that the bike is running N3'S but is recommended to run N5's. Does that matter anyone. Thanks for all the help. I just want it to be good for about another year or so then i want to find someone to do a complete restoration for me. So here's hoping.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    Champion N3 for points and Champion N5 (hotter) for electronic ignition. Although I use N5 in them all. I think the C (N3C N5C) is for copper cores, just a later spec I think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Iron
    Thanks for that i must get a set on order. Thanks again.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Joe, I had the same issue on a Bonneville some years back, I tried a lot of things, carbs, ignition etc, I then fitted NGK plugs and low and behold it never faulted afterwards

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Iceman.
    I will get a set just in case.
    Joe

• Like Like x 4
  15. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    You say you found wiring joints a bit iffy , poorly contacting joints/connections can cause voltage drops ! If the Voltage and Current is out by enough , it will cause poor spark plug burning , as the coil's won't give a big bright spark.. in electronic ignitions it may cause delayed as well as poor spark ...

Both of which are caused for poor burn and hence poorer performance , and sooty plugs ... Good cheap test charge battery right up , clean new plugs , run bike or ride it for 5-10 minutes , no lights or other electrical items On. Turn off , let it cool , pull plugs ! If they are 'clean' voltage is a contender !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. RJinTX

RJinTX Member

Nov 27, 2021
    Giant side of Texas
    That is a fine looking piece of machinery.
    I really like the paint job, quite distinct.

• Like Like x 1
  17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    RjiN TX
    Thanks for that. You know every one that see's the bike says exactly the same. I am thinking of perhaps this winter putting it in some where and having a complete restoration done to include the whole machine and perhaps twin disc's. But thanks for the kind words.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Very nice bike Joe, did it come with the matching panniers, that model is sought after now and fairly rare, the colour in my mind is one of the best Triumph did. I seem to recall seeing yours for sale a little while back. Norman Hyde is one of the best out there regarding Triumphs, one of his Hyde Harriers was very recently sold, it had zero miles on and just required re commissioning, I always seem to find out about these machines after a sale rather than before, although it was expensive. If you have an interest in the Triumph Experimental Department history, give him a ring for a copy of the book Doug Hele and his development team 1962-1975, this tells for the first time the full story of the chief development engineer Doug Hele and his men at Triumph's Meriden motorcycle factory, (and later at the Norton-Triumph research centre). Doug Hele was Britain's brightest and most progressive motorcycle engineer of the 1960s and 1970s. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.

• Like Like x 2
  19. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    @Iceman
    Yes boxes and fairing now wrapped up and packed away in the garage. IMG_1293 (2).JPG

• Like Like x 2
  20. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Well Peeps i thought i would check around for someone to restore it later as in repaint the frame chrome the wheels and refresh the engine and starter and check the wiring. Well the best quote i got was around £8000 estimated. Stunned. All the other quotes were ten and above. Looks like i will keep it as it is and if i want to spend that money i will buy a new bike.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1