765 New 2020 1st Gear Prob

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by Jjwright, Mar 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jjwright

Jjwright New Member

Mar 24, 2020
    Waipahu, Hawaii
    I am Jon from Hawaii. I recently bought a 2020 Street Triple RS.. I'm also new to riding since 2018. My first bike was a 2015 Yamaha FJ09 which I traded in. I love how smooth it is compared to the Yam, but with less than 300 miles, I just experienced issues today with shifting into first from neutral for the first time and it is repeatable. From first to neutral is ok. But when shifting back to first sometimes I have to keep my foot on the lever to keep it first and release the clutch. No matter how hard I press on the lever, it seems to slip back into neutral. Any ideas out there? Thanks ahead of time!

I don't want to regret this purchase. I just purchased swingarm sliders, a cover, and some other protective accessories for this bike and waiting for some of these things to come in.

TimePhoto_20200215_170237.jpg

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Could be as simple as clutch free play at the lever but on a new bike I would take it back to the dealer :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. PH1969

PH1969 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    Get the dealer to adjust it but it will get smoother with miles. Mine was a bit reluctant at first but is great now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jjwright

Jjwright New Member

Mar 24, 2020
    Waipahu, Hawaii
    I took it to service last week Thursday, but the service guy had no problem shifting into first. He saw me try and witnessed the issue I was having, hopped on, but shifted into first no problem, then N, then 1, N, 2, 1. He said it could be the way I was shifting or my boots, but I said I've only used the same boots while riding. He asked about my previous bike Yamaha FJ09 and said that thing banged hard into first. He said they would charge me if the technician looked at it and found nothing wrong. So, I said I'll wait till the first service.

A few days later, by chance, I was playing around shifting and found that if I press down and back, it was better, but putting it into N and back to 1 several times seemed to replicate the issue for me. I notice you know it's grabbed first when there is a click. However, sometimes it holds first with no click, but usually slips out. Maybe I need a new foot? :)

5. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Or that service guys boots :D:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Jjwright

Jjwright New Member

Mar 24, 2020
    Waipahu, Hawaii
    Haven't tried pushing/rolling it while pressing on shift lever, but slowly releasing the clutch while pressing down the shift lever works. I'll try rolling it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jjwright

Jjwright New Member

Mar 24, 2020
    Waipahu, Hawaii
    Hi everyone that replied, it is seeming to get better. The strange thing is that it seems to shift into first even with a light press of the pedal. So strange. Anyway, I'll have the service guys check it out on my 600 mile service. Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. BTW, Smilinjack I did try to roll it once both forward and backward when I had the issue, but that doesn't seem to resolve the issue, slowly letting out the clutch as i press the pedal worked the best.

• Like Like x 1