Trophy New 2001trophy 900 Woes

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by EasyTargetRN, Jun 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. EasyTargetRN

EasyTargetRN New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Albuquerque, NM
    Before shutting her down I rode around the block and she stalled coming to the driveway and refused to restart...
    So where to start?

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Try tapping the float bowls using a rubber mallet and a wooden stick (where necessary). This may help but having gone through 3 tanks of fuel perhaps not.
    Check the carb inlet rubbers are not perished - get the engine running and spray them in turn with Easy Start or similar (WD40 apparently works in this situation, spray carb cleaner may also have the same effect) to see if the revs rise when applied. If this happens then they are probably past their best.
    If I really must start clutching at straws then how about this? A mate of mine bought a Trident 900 and found a mouse nest in the airbox. There was a similar story from someone else on a now defunct Triumph forum. It can and indeed does happen! However, you may want to choose your own favourite rodent for this particular scenario.
    If you do end up taking off the airbox, do it carefully as they are quite brittle. And before putting it back on the bike, put a K&N (or similar) filter in it, which will save you having to check the (std) filter every so often. Getting the airbox off is a bugger of a job - I did it once as did the mechanic who serviced it the last two times. He asked me if I wanted him to check it last time and sighed happily when I told him not to bother!

• Like Like x 1
  3. EasyTargetRN

EasyTargetRN New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Albuquerque, NM
    Spoke with the dealer, estimate for the carb rebuild was $600, CPS et al $300.
    Though my schedule will make it rough to DIY, is this reasonable?

4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Have a look at www.triumphparts.co.uk for a new cps (£60 inc 20% vat which should be removed for overseas orders so around £50 for you), and possible indicators as well. Makes $300 look expensive, even after shipping costs and any possible local taxes/import duty. I, and many others hereabouts, have previously used Sprint Manufacturing with no problems. Apparently, changing the cps is not too difficult.
    Lots of carb bits as well!
    Getting carbs and air filter box off is awkward and fiddly, but not impossible. Patience is a virtue! Tank and bodywork off to start with, and go on from there. Knuckles will be grazed, blood will most likely be shed and your language will become more and more offensive. Do forewarn anyone of a delicate disposition who may inadvertently wander into earshot.
    Try firing off an email to SM with your possible requirements so that you can find out the costs involved etc. $900 (around £700 sterling) does seem a bit expensive. Any independent workshops nearby that can be of help?
    Another source of parts here in the UK is www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk who are also well thought of hereabouts.