Never Get's Old - Black Hills Of South Dakota

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Tim Schultz, Aug 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tim Schultz

Tim Schultz Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    A month back I was sick of work and needed a break so it was off to my favorite riding area where I live. The Black Hills in South Dakota are about 500 miles from my home on the east side of the state where it is flat plains and not many good twisty bits. I have rode the Hills every couple of years for over 40 years now. Been to Sturgis Rally many many times but what I prefer is to go out in mid July and just ride the mountain roads. Spent 4 days riding north to south and south to north hitting all my favorites; Sprearfish and Vannocker canyon roads, Needles Highway, Iron Mountain Road, Custer State Park, Sheridan Lake Road, Nemo Trail and several repeat rides over same roads. My 1996 Sprint, which I have had since it came out of he crate, performed so well I was in heaven. Recently did all new brake disks and pads, tires, sprockets and chain and fork seals. Driving into and powering out of the curves and twists was shear joy and I was amazed as to how well the old girl performs. My hat is off to the folks that built this bullet proof machine at Hickley Plant. I never plan on getting rid of it even though last month I bought a sharp, clean low miles BMW K1200S. It to is a lot of fun even for this middle aged hard core rider. Just couldn't pass it up for the price and I have always wanted one since I was stationed in Germany back in the early eighties.
    Here's a few pics if your interested

Live to Ride - Ride to Live

IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

IMG_2221.JPG

IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

IMG_2302.JPG

IMG_2304.JPG

• Like Like x 10
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Nice pictures and story. It’s a different world over your neck of the woods

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    You have a nice ride, and you live in a great location for riding with some really beautiful scenery. I'm on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. In summer, our scenery consists of corn, soy beans, and loblolly pines. In winter, it's loblolly pines and dirt : ) Of course, I can make it to the mountains in 4 hours and the ocean in 1 hour. It's all great as long as you're on a motorcycle and don't have flashing red and blue lights in your mirrors ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Tim
    You are making me jealous. The bike is great shape and the scenery well outstanding.
    Ride Free
    Joe

6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hi Tim keep the pics coming :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Barryscott

Barryscott Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Tupelo, Ms, USA
    Welcome, great looking bike

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Hi Tim, seems you had a blast ! Lovely pics !

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome aboard buddy. Enjoy the ride.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    David Cooper.
    You just took me back to my childhood. I told my Mum I was going to marry Doris Day. Can't remember what age I was but it has stayed in my memory for a long time. And Tim I am now even more envious.
    Ride Safe.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  12. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Welcome buddy :)

That is some fascinating pictures and rides ;)

13. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

14. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    Hi Tim

In 1994 I and 16 friends shipped 10 Harley’s out to Rapid City from the U.K. to attend the Sturgis rally. Prior to the rally I organised a 2,000 trip taking us out past Devils Tower, through Buffalo, Cody and Yellowstone Park to Bozeman for the Montan State Harley Rally. Then south through West Yellowstone to Jackson Hole and on to Aspen Colorado, before heading back north through Nebraska to Rapid City.

Once back in Rapid City we took several rideouts to places like Mount Rushmore, Deadwood, Needles Highway, Custer State Park etc. Great riding country.

• Like Like x 2