Need Bike Advice After 20 Year Break From Motorcycle.....

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Cory78, Feb 25, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. unclescratch

unclescratch Active Member

Dec 23, 2019
    NW Arizona
    Welcome to our (now your) forum ! I am 70-1/2, got back into riding about 4 years ago when my son 'gave' me his 2005 America. Last bike was a 1974 Trident I bought new, and gave to my sons in the 80's. I always owned Triumphs. The upright seating, light weight and adequate performance always served me well. I have ridden 'crotch rockets' and that style/riding position never appealed to me. The cruiser I have now suits me well, although some of us older riders complain of back pain issues with the forward control design. I believe this has a lot to do with the sub-standard factory seat, and although it may be expensive seems to be a worthwhile upgrade to aftermarket. I also upgraded to footboards which I hope I will keep once I get to riding more this spring. I suspect that the standard (non-cruiser) Bonneville line with footpegs beneath you helps absorb road shock and therefore less low back pain. But lets face it, us 'older' riders are just that = 'older' ! If I were in the market today, I would consider the Bonneville T100 (if they still make it !) for the upright seating, light weight, perfectly adequate performance, and surely the classic presence !! Good luck with your decision, ride safe (ATGATT).

• Like Like x 1
  2. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    I’d been off bikes for 20 years and returned in 2013 buying a new 865cc Bonneville. Was delighted that I felt confident on the test ride and the 20 year gap just seemed to evaporate into thin air... what a great feeling ! ... guess it helped that I’d only ever had British classic style bikes before so the riding position and controls were where I thought they’d be.... I’ve never had a speedy sports bike and never wanted one but would suggest that for getting back into riding a ‘no surprises‘ Triumph classic ... probably just the 900 cc bikes, are more than adequate for safely getting the biking buzz back ! :cool:

3. Triumphal385

Triumphal385 Active Member

Mar 23, 2020
    South East
    Welcome.

I hope you find your ideal bike. My suggestion would be to test ride as many as you can, before a purchase. The key reason being, fit, comfort and purpose.
    Nakeds give too much of the elements for me. I prefer the screening of a sports-tourer.
    The Triumph 1050 engines, give great performance with an addictive sound. The same engine is in several models, I believe.
    I have a Sprint ST 1050. I know the Tiger is a more upright and comfortable position.
    The Trident has good reviews, so I hope you enjoy finding your ideal machine. Do post a picture when you get it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Cory and welcome to the forum :cool: Looking forward to seeing your decision and ride pix